• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Jim W

Trout fishing??

How can you be thinking about trout fishing when I can't even get you out fishing now????????????????JA!!!!!

Sounds like your on the hunt for a fish bigger than the one on your wall eh?
Boy, that would be quite the expensive wall by then!!!?

Good question though! I would like to hear those who have and how they like to rig the tail. Skin on, or skin off. Hook the tail or through the meat? Small hook, large hook etc ,etc.!!

Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 12-11-2001).]

J.A.Say.Tree

Had a little time over lunch to hit the cyberscene... and thought that would be a cool topic.

Anywho... why would i want to fish when I can hunt?!?!?!??? I can always fish, but for the 3 months in the Fall I'll take the shotgun & my working retriever over the rod and reel everytime!

Oh, and by the way.... aren't you the one looking for that browner to take to Tommy??? tongue.gif

I like to fillet the tail meat from the back of the dorsil towards the tail, then when you get to the meat cut all the way through leaving the tail entact. Regular number 8 or 6 hook works fine. Hook it through the meat and skin and toss it in with a couple splitshot.

I've found that this method is deadly in streams that don't have many, if any, chubs in them. Someday when you are fishing say the Root and you start catching a ton of chubs, bring a baggie and start collecting the tails. Then freeze them... the next time your in a smaller or less chub infested creek, give them a try... they won't take a crawler, but the chub tail will be hammered!!!

JA!

Ya know... is anybody else having trouble posting something then finding your post all messed up with letters here and there???? I sure am.

[This message has been edited by J.A.Say.Tree (edited 12-11-2001).]

Jim W

3 months?
You haven't been fishing since the middle of August JA?LOl.

Yupo that would be me. However it will have to be a very large fish. I've caught enough in that 20 inch range, now it's time to push the envelope!

Jim W

J.A.Say.Tree

You need one to reference by pounds and not inches!!! Your day will come soon.... man I hope so... I'm sick of hearing about how you lost this giant fish or this monster broke my line! wink.gif

And for your information (and are you keeping tabs on my fishing behavior???), it was mid September the last time I casted a line...

I am, however, beginning to think about how many buckshots are in my tackle box instead of my shells!!!!

JA!!!!!!!

Jim W

NOw were talking!! Once the "Buckshot Fever" sets in, there is no going back!!!

Yup, I would have to say I have lost more trophy fish than anyone in all of Minnesota!!jk

JIm W

Sarge

Thats why I like fishing Jim, he always leaves the bigguns in the stream for me and JA. smile.gif

When I use this method I do like JA outlined, and I always leave the skin on, if nothing else it helps keep the bait on the hook.

I don't use bait very often, and I have had problems with "hook ups" with chub tails, maybe need to use a larger hook?

DARK30

I KNOW SOME PEOPLE WHO FISH WITH CUT SUCKER MEAT AND CATCH TROUT BUT ITS NOT GOOD FOR C&R THOUGH.

I SPENT SOME TIME FISHING FOR CUT BAIT DOWN THERE LAST SUMMER (FOR CATFISH BAIT) AND I HAD ALOT OF FUN CATCHING IT TOO!
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

J.A.Say.Tree

So anybody given the 'ol chub tail a try for trout???

JA

mark p

I used to fish with chub tails all the time when I was a kid. My grandma and grandpa had a farm on the Pine Creek that runs into LaCrescent. That stream is full of chubs and therefore it was easy bait to come up with. The best part about using the tails was that you could let the chubs run around with it without them getting hooked like they would with worms, although you might have to hank it away from some of the monster chubs. The big trout would eventually come chase the chubs away from it and sit and look at it. This might happen over and over for 20 minutes or more. Many times, the trout would finally get tired of the game and just grab it. They just couldn't stand the site of chubs getting an easy meal while they were around.

I liked the smaller chubs and always ripped the tail off with my thumb nail so it was nice and jagged with about a 1/2 inch of meat and skin above the tail. The skin helps the tail stay on the hook while all the chubs are running around with it. I always used a size 6 hook and put it through the meat, but fairly close to the edge. I wouldn't recommend a hook smaller than size 6.

I haven't used a chub tail for years, but I'm sure it's still a good bait for big trout. I doubt if I have the patience to sit in 1 place for an hour and coax one to bite like I used to when I was a kid though.