• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Mantorville Smallies?

I spent about an hour and a half canoeing upstream from the dam in Mantorville in search of fall smallies with no success. Didn't even see bait fish. Now I have caught smallies down stream from the dam. Has anyone else investigated the waters upstream of Mantorville or maybe even Dodge Center.

------------------
Fish On!
Big Lew

French Spaniel

Big Lew,
I've lived on that section of the Zumbro for the last 10 years. Some years the fising has been good but the last few years the fishing has dropped off a bit. I've caught a few in the 18 and 19 inch range but they don't come often (they always go back in the river...they are my pets).

The last 4 years we've had some real
high fast water during the spawn. I think that has cut down reproduction. Don't catch the numbers of fish I used to.

------------------
Fish

I grew up in Mantorville and fished it for years for smallies. It used to be great untill they re-did the dam and screwed it all up. If you walk back on the old snowmobile trails into the woods down stream there are plenty of good fishing spots for smallies lots nettles also. As far as above the dam on the south side of goat Island next to the bluff it is quite deep and every now and then you may pick up a smallie but it I never really fished it that much with any real success.

I know some have fished it like back by Wasojo (cant spell) and have good luck but I personally fish the lower section. There is plenty of good water above the dam I am told but I think you have to go further up stream

Thanks DrBigLu! I have done some wading down stream, but not very far. Next spring I'll have to take the canoe down stream before the water gets too low.

------------------
Fish On!
Big Lew

Well Canoeing down stream is an adventure there are lots and lots of shallow spots, you will do more dragging the canoe then canoeing unless early early spring.

French Spaniel

Lew & Lu,

I'm not sure smallmouth season is stillopen is it. I'm going to check the game laws and see. If it is I'm going to try it one more night before it gets cold again.
I live just outside Wasioja and fishing can be quite good at times. Late in the year there are only about five or six good holes for a two mile stretch. You can usually find a few good fish in those spots.

French Spaniel

Lew & Lu,

I'm not sure smallmouth season is stillopen is it. I'm going to check the game laws and see. If it is I'm going to try it one more night before it gets cold again.
I live just outside Wasioja and fishing can be quite good at times. Late in the year there are only about five or six good holes for a two mile stretch. You can usually find a few good fish in those spots.

French Spaniel

Lew & Lu,

French Spaniel, Checking the reg is always the best idea, but I believe you will find that smallies are catch and release only until the end of January. Good Luck!

------------------
Fish On!
Big Lew

[This message has been edited by Big_Lew (edited 11-06-2001).]