• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

I was wondering if anyone has run into any good hatches in the mornings or evenings or any time for that matter. If so, where? Haven't been out in a while and wanted to get out a couple of mornings soon! Thanks!

Tricos in the AM - S. Branch Root. Caddis in the days and evenings, try fishing it with a dropper like a terrestrial of some kind. If you consider hopper patterns a hatch, then I have been getting a few this week on Madame X's - stick to the meadow sections for hoppers......

Jim W

Hey Hopper guy,

It's a tad early yet, but I was thinking about "Trout Day" next year and if you would be interested in helping out?
LAst year we had 30 people come and are plannning on a larger turn out this year.
We had some great door prizes and demonstrations etc. etc.

LAst year we had Wayne BArtz there for question and answer, but I would be interested in having some fly casting demonstrations etc. as well.

This event is for all ages. Last year(as I mentioned earlier) we had a lot of(those you refer to as bait dunkers, lol!) very interested in fly fishing. Let me know here or you can directly e-mail me!!!

JIm W

J.W.

Right now I can't committ to such a project as the guiding business has been good, and I anticipate will get better. There will probably quite a few inquiries from clients around that time, so I can't give you a for sure yet.

Back to the other "edited" posts, which by the way is a little lame - shouldn't people be able to say what they want to say even when they feel they are right or haven't directly called names on others, used profanities, etc. This board is one of the few fishing/trouting related boards I've seen that gets edited so frequently. Let the people say what they want without Communist big brother deleting what they really want to say or think.

I have no doubt there are people out there who really know what is going on - I consider myself one of them, and have read some decent posts. I actually hope to continue to swap stories with others, but I hope more truth is involved versus telling a story just to sound good.

P.S. I'll check back later and see if this message still exists....

Rick

Hi Hopper,
There are rules you agreed to when you registered. Personal attacks are not allowed, period. If you want to call someone names don't do it here.

Name calling, threats, any kind of personal attack, etc. will be edited out when they are found. I also edited out the attack on you as well.

Generally speaking, keep it fun, focused on fishing or the outdoors and don't pick on people. Pretty simple really.

Of course we will have controversial issues and folks will disagree, that is OK as long as we keep it civil.

Remember this is a free service that I work long hours to provide and the folks here really take pride in giving accurate information. We hope you're one that will help in this area.

Last but not least, I really appreciate the great fishing input you are giving. I'm sure many others do as well.

Your observations on fishing, especially flyfishing are enjoyable. It appears you know your fishing well. Looking forward to hearing more about it from you.

Take care Hopper and
GoodFishin : )
Rick Paquin

Hopper, any chance you might need some part time help in the guide business?

Sarge

Hopper, sorry that my play on words(hackle-ruffle feathers) was deemed an attack on you. I guess it was my poor attemp at humor, while trying to make sure "someone" still felt good about thier previous post.
I never got to read what Rick edited from your post, but hopefully it was done with a sense of humor, not malice. I certainly meant no harm.
By the way, I LOVE TROUT FISHING!!!!!! And maybe we could get out sometime, I could use some pointers.
And here is a story for you. One of my most successful days fly fishing was down at Watson creek, a small cold creek that runs through a cow pasture at its beginning. As I walked along the bank, tons of small green grasshopper would jump off the tall grass, some landing in the water. And even though the trout could see me they couldn't pass the light green treats up, so you can guess what I tied on. I then started kicking the grass, started an absolute frenzy. I waited about a minute, threw in my imitation and had instant results. I repeated this at least a dozen times, and caught a fish every time. It was so easy I felt like I was cheating.

Rick

Ok
how was I supposed to know you were joshing each other.

You two tossing names at each other like hacklehead and bait dunkers...hmmmmm
maybe that was a clue. smile.gif

Just call me a zealot for good relations between anglers. Maybe the word lame does fit.

I've learned my lesson. Never get between hackle-heads and bait-dunkers. smile.gif

I guess that I will have to get used to the moderation of it all...my apologies to all who I have offended.

Sarge, your hopper experience isn't uncommon, and in fact, it's one of the easiest hatches to fish. The flies are large, they float, and aesthetically, what's better than having a trout shoot up from the bank and hammer your fly? I prefer Madame X patterns - go to Gander Mnt. and talk to Wayne if you don't have any. The hoppers are pretty small right now, but they will be getting bigger in the coming weeks. I usually have my most consistent luck with smaller hoppers (I also fish a dropper sometimes off them).

According to DNR electroshocking data, Watson Creek is supposed to have decent stretches with some good fish numbers. I checked it out a few years back and didn't do overly outstanding, but there is a huge posted section on the creek - private land, so that may be where they got their data from.

As for the guding business, I haven't been busy to the point of needing help...yet. I'd have to fish with you a few times to see what your demenaor is like and what skills you do possess. I will never know all there is to know about fly fishing in SEMN, in fact, I know of guys who tie great patterns, know great stretches of water, and casbeautifully, but they have the personality of a stone and would never be a good guide. It's a lot more than just knowing where the fish are and putting people on them. Click on my profile, go to my web page and drop me an e-mail telling me a little bit about yourself and I'll be in touch.

J.A.Say.Tree

Hey Hopper....

Nice to see an avid fly fisherman join in on the SE site... Sorry I missed the little bait/hackle exchange... I get a kick outta that sorta thang. Although, Rick is right about the attack deal... I've seen some outright nasty threats delt, so we're always keeping an eye out for that. But as long as it doesn't turn "ugly," you certainly won't find me editing anything... nothin' wrong with burnin' on each other every once in a while!

Now, I personally cannot be catagorized as either "hacklehead" or "bait-dunker" cuz I do 'em both. Although about 75% of the time you'll find me throwing the hardware (no. 11 raps) because I like BIG BROWNS!!! But nothing beats the way trout fight on the long rod!
My question for you is have you noticed a lack of hatches this summer due to all the scudding high water this spring scraping the bottom?

JA!

JAST,

I used to be an avid hardware chucker myself, although I preferred gold sinking Raps about as long as your pinkey finger. Some of the larger fish I have tangled with were on Raps - not those 11's, but Raps work all the same.

As for the hatches, BWO's are the earliest hatch (late March) and they were blown out, in fact, I'm not sure I personally tied on an olive (blue winged olives). Same can be said for Dark Hendricksons - a victim of the flooding. Caddis was next in April and May - it was good, but not great. Light Hedricksons in late May early June were phenominal - easily 35-50 fish days, all on dries. Tricos are on right now, although I haven't heard outstanding reports locally of action; pseudcloens - a tiny cream colored guy come off in the fall as well, so we'll see what happens there.

To answer your quesstion, some hatches were greatly affected - especially early ones, while the later hatches have been good.