• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Once they become aggressive! ie.smallies

Finding aggressive smallmouth in SE MN streams/rivers can be a challenge! Once accomplished, there a couple things to keep in mind that will increase your catch.

First off, knowing where smallmouth generally hold up during each season. During the summer they can be scattered throughout the river. You'll find them under log jams/downed trees, deep pools, adjacent undercuts, eddies before,after and following faster runs and holes, in the runs/channels before and after turns and falls in the river. That's a mouthful and a lot of places to look, but you'll need to find that aggressive smallmouth, hanging out in one of the aforementioned hide-outs!

A quick method for finding aggressive smallmouth is searching for submerged rocks and boulders! Smallmouth love rocks!! If there are smallies in a run lined with rocks or a run with slab rock lining the shore, you can bet your britches they will be aggressive and competetive! These fish are on the hunt. Fish found in the larger sandy, mudlined holes aren't as aggressive. You can catch them there, but why waste time?

Second, If your fishing with a buddy and you hook into a fish, call them over quickly!! More often than not, the competetive smallmouth will have a friend close on his heels!! While you are playing him out, have your buddy cast quickly behind your fish, enticing his buddy to strike! This can be deadly, increasing your total catch x2! Polarized shades are a must!

Keep in mind, since smallmouth are known for their competetive spirit, if you catch a fish in any given spot, it is highly likely there will be another fish nearby just as hungry! Of course, if you catch a bass near a rock that lies in solitude(obviously not enough room for another fish) move on!

SO next time out on the Root river or your favorite smallmouth stream/river, look for the aggressive fish and be a little more patient before and after catching!

I have found that small river and stream smallmouth do not feed for extended periods of time! They will shut off for up to an hour at times, feeding for almost as long!! SO if you haven't caught anything for a while, take a break, get a drink of water, eat a Snickers or whatever, they'l be hungry shortly! Don't forget to switch up if your not catching, going smaller or slower.

In relation to the competetive smallmouth, once you find a fish that will take your offering, it is possible to trigger a small feeding frenzy as well! There is nothing like your own little war between a school or gang of smallies! It's even more fun winning the war!

So now it's time to go and pick up some yellow 1/8oz Rooster tails, Origial floating raps(in your favorite color and flavor), #3 meps crome or brass bladed, some Rebel Pop R's and last but definitely not least some Berkley's Power bait(3 inch crawfish pumpkin seed)

Take a kid fishing for smallmouth, he'll be hooked for life! Catch a smallmouth, and you WILL bend your rod! JIm W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 07-11-2001).]

I was out last night near Byron and this part of the Zumbro finally has settled down and warmed up enough that they're finally starting to turn on. I caught 7 last night in 1.5 hrs, running 12-16". That's the best I've done around here this year, and that will definitely improve as the heat continues. As you noted above Jim, they were scattered in all kinds of spots - certainly a summer pattern in my experience.

On a related note, the monthly meeting of SEMSA (SE MN Smallmouth Alliance) starts tonight at 6:30 at Sandy Point Supper Club.
If you're fishing the Zumbro below the power dam, look for posted signs that encourage catch & release of smallmouth - those have been purchased and put up by SEMSA.

So I don't hit the streams too often and was wondering if anyone could give me places to try and catch smallies. Love catching them on lakes but none around here really. I know no one is going to give out their favorite spots, I'm not asking for that, all I want is some places to try that are easy to find and that I can walk around with just sandals on. So any information would be great. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!1

"Walk around with just sandles on"...Hmmmmmm
Well, you'll probably miss out on some fine fishin' but, try under a few bridges. Usually there is sand and rock to stand on.
I recommend grabbing a Root River map and a Trout Map. Look up the Main, MIddle or North branch of the Root, pick a road closest to home, find a bridge, then your in!!

Now if you have some extra change laying around, pick up some cheap waders! This WILL increase your fun and catch!!!
Keep the rods bendin'!!! Jim W

PS. LEt me know how you did OK?

Speaking of waders....You don't even have to buy any, if your fishing buddy has an extra pair you can always borrow-----right J.W.?

guess I should cough up the money and go get some of those waders, probably would be worth it eh.

Sandles??? Whoa that might be asking for more itchweed than you care for!!!

Here's my suggestion if you have an afternoon to spare.... rent a canoe in Zumbro Falls andd float the Zumbro from the dam at Macs's back down to Zumbro Falls... then you can wear your sandles and swimming suit and catch a ton of bass.

JA!!!

Sarge,
Yup, and even more, they fit better than mine do!!! Still leak though!

Eds,

It's hard to recommend waders. I put waders through a lot of abuse(use, I guess I shouldn't give them more credit than they deserve), having gone through quite a few pairs in the last 5 years!

If you don't foresee yourself getting out much(after you try it you WILL become addicted) pick up some Gander hip boots that run around 40 -50 bucks(maybe cheaper).
They should last "a while". Don't forget investing in a tube of aqua seal when the waders eventually blow out. It will give you an extra half season.

Waders for the most part are great protection from getting cut by branches, itch weed, burning nettles, poison ivy etc! Plus they keep you warm in the Fall and early Spring!

One more thing to consider. If you can find a pair with felt bottoms buy them. This really helps in keeping your footing when wading over rocks etc.!!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

When the water temp is 65 or above, I just wear a pair of jeans, an old but comfortable pair of hi tops and socks. Feels very good when the temps are above 70. Also adding a pair of gators keeps most of the sand and gravel out of your sneakers. I just don't like wearing waders or hip boots when it's warm out. (By the way Jim W., did you get over to Cabela's for the tent sale and find some waders?) I wore sandals once too - bad idea with rocks, nettles, etc. that you run into.

Never made any fashion statements with the above mode of dress, but the fish never seemed to mind!!

I haven't had big numbers yet on SE MN streams, but average smallie has been bigger than average. Not nearly enough time spent on the water this month around here - this is prime time for smallies when the temps are this warm.

[This message has been edited by uffdapete (edited 07-18-2001).]

So I finally got out just went right on in with some shoes on, water felt kinda nice compared to the heat. Went down around Chatfield on the Root but only managed two good sized trout in the past two days staying for about 2 hours each time. Is there not too many smallies on that part? But no complaints catching those two, better than nothing.

Eds,

Well, I guess it all depends on what branch you were on(if you were even actually on the Root? There are trout mixed in here and there in the Root. However, with the way it has flowed this year, I'm concerned about what the future holds for torut in the Root river!

By Chatfield the confluence of the NOrth and Middle Branches occurs just SE of Chatfield. They then create the MAin Branch!! Let me know where you actually fished so I can get a better sense of where and what?

BOth the Middle and the North branches can be excellent smallmouth fishing!!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!! Jim W

I was fishing around the bridge south of Chatfield on Highway 52 and was looking around for other bridges to jump in from.

Eds,

Hey there, you were fishing at Parsley's Bridge. If you head back into Chatfield, take a left on County 5. Then there is a gravel road on the left. Follow that until you reach an old bridge(only bridge downstream from county 5 bridge). Ihave caught quite few smallies in that stretch. There is a 90 degree bend in the river(just down stream from the bridge turning South), this is a killer hole that comes up into a shallow rock lined run! I ALWAYS catch smallies there!!! I hope this helps some! Otherwise grab the ole' map and start finding bridges!! Keep the rods bendin'!! Jim W

Thanks for the help, appreciate it. Not so much on this topic but other topics before, just got back from below silver lake dam where that other stream comes out. Caught 2 bullheads(not the best looking thing out there), a sunfish(good size), two bass(one of which was 2 pounds), and a northern, pretty small though about 12in. Who would have guessed. Caught all on a crawler and jig thats it.

• 3 weeks later...

Aggressive smallies !
got some ARKIE brand jeffs salty creawlin grubs from wallmart 10 for like a couple bucks tried them in a hole by oxbow and BAM
they really nailed em problem was my riggin did not work as I was unable to hook fish but they would hold on to the things for like 20-30 sec.
Thursday I'am gonna try a crawler rig with em.
**** kid next door wanted to show off the big un he caught 15-16 inch from by oxbow so I explained how the fish was older then him and I expected he would respect his elders better then that.
Told him to eat panfish and release the FIGHTER....

------------------

Hey andysmyname, sounds like you had a good time. I had some luck outside of oxbow last sunday. I had one (maybe 16 incher) that hung on for awhile, but I missed the hookset. Had two measured 12 inchers, a 10 incher and one about 6 or 7 incher. It was a good time. Don't be too hard on the neighbor kid. Maybe you could buy him one of those waterproof, throw away camera's so he can show off all of his big catches.

------------------
Fish On!
Big Lew

[This message has been edited by Big_Lew (edited 08-16-2001).]

I'm with Big Lew - catch, photo, release, and eat all the panfish you want......At least you're trying to instill some sense of catch and release for the kid. I tell people who give me a hard time about not keeping any trout that if I had a football and I liked to play catch with that football and I wanted others to play with the football, it would be pretty hard to play with it if I decided to eat it.

Conservation has to start somewhere, it might as well be with the kids.