• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

AT first, with the hot temps and high skies, the thought of a slow day wading the root river, didn't cross my mind. However, it was a tad slow. Unforunately, the lack of the CRP has created a delay in the clearing of the Root! Everyone knows how long it has been since we have had substantial rain. Well, the Root is STILL dirtier than preferred.
Sarge and I managed 9-10 smallies with 3 in the 2-3 pound range. The larger fish came on our patended Crawfish
(3 inch power bait). No bass was caught on a rapala. Meps #3 pulled a few out. LEt's hope the river clears(has the opportunity)soon, for the wonderful July/August bite!! Keep the rods bendin'!!!
Jim W

MORNING JIM,
WHERE DID YOU SAY YOU WERE AGAIN? I DID A LITTLE POLKING AROUND DOWN AT WADDEN VALLEY ON THE WAY DOWN AND FOUND A PROMISING SPOT FOR CHANNEL CATS AND SMALLIES. DIDN'T FISH BUT I'LL GO BACK THERE ON A COOL EVENING SOME TIME. THE LANDOWNER WAS WILLING TO LET ME ON AND EVEN HAD FEW TIPS FOR ME.
I DID WELL ON THE ROOT IN PRESTON, LOTS OF SHAKERS AGAIN AND EVEN A FEW BOWS -- NOTHING OVER 12" THIS TIME THOUGH. DIDN'T TRY ANY PLASTIC BAITS BUT THE RAP WAS JUST STARTING TO WARM UP WHEN ONE OF THE RAINBOWS DECIDED TO SET THE HOOK ON ME! FIRST TIME EVER! I GOT A HOOK IN PAST THE BARB EEEEEOW! COULDN'T GET IT OUT WITHOUT SURGERY (A RAZOR BLADE)
I NOTICED THE WATER WAS A LITTLE CLOUDED TOO, BUT MORE DIRT IS SHOWING ON THE BANKS THAN IN THE FIELDS (HEAVEN FORBID PUT ANY GOOD RIP RAP IN TROUBLE SPOTS!)
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Dark,
I was specifically fishing for smallmouth on the NOrth Branch of the Root. The spot you frequent is the trout infested South Branch!

A hook deep eh? Good time to consider going barbless eh? Ouch! When they shake hard, better have a good grip! I've had hooks implanted while the trout is shaking hard! Noooooo Goooood!!!!

What section branch of the root did you talk with that owner and who was it may I ask? Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 07-02-2001).]

LOOKING AT THE TRUSTY MN ATLAS & GAZETTEER, YOUR BRANCH AND MY BRANCH MEET JUST N.E. OF LANESBORO (THATS A GOOD SPOT TOO) AND JUST UPSTREAM ON YOUR BRANCH PAST HWY 250 IS WADDEN VALLEY. THERE WAS A DAM THERE YEARS AGO AND IT IS A GOOD WARM WATER FISHERY WITH A FEW BROWNS MIXED IN. I UNDERSTAND THERES ALSO SOME BROOK TROUT TO BE HAD NEARBY.
I ALSO STOPPED BY THE HWY 11 BRIDGE ON THE NORTH BRANCH NEAR BUCKSNORT. THERE WERE 7 CANOES AND 14 AMISH GUYS GETTING OUT THERE. THEY HAD A BUNCH OF SUCKERS AND SOME CARP FOR DINNER......MMMMMM ! WELL I GUESS IF THEY COOKED UM, I'D AT LEAST TRY SOME. THEY DID SAY THERE WERE SMALLMOUTH IN THE AREA TOO.
WET NETS!

------------------

.......AND LOOKING A BIT CLOSER AT THE TRUSTY MN ATLAS & GAZETTEER JIM, ITS LOOKS LIKE I'M OFF A LITTLE. IT LOOKS LIKE THE NORTH BRANCH FEEDS INTO THE MAIN BRANCH JUST SOUTH OF CHATFIELD AND NOT FAR UPSTREAM FROM THE HWY 52 BRIDGE ON THE MAIN BRANCH.
YOU MUST BE REAL CLOSE TO CHATFIELD OR N.W. OF THERE IF YOUR FISHING THE NORTH BRANCH? WADDEN VALLEY IS VERY NEAR THAT ENVIRONMENTAL LEARNING CENTER UP IN THE HILLS NORTH OF LANESBORO (MAIN BRANCH ROOT RIVER)
ANYHOOOO! I MANAGED A FEW FISH OUTA THE MINNESOTA TONIGHT BUT YOU CAN'T BEAT THAT S.E. MN. STREAM THING!
WET NETS!

------------------

Dark,
Your last sentence is soooo true. You can probably imagine how hard it is for me to give up info in a part of the state that is virtually untapped!! I have enjoyed many a year fishing in solitude! I can count on one hand ,wading my favorite stretch of the Root and seeing another fisherman! I hope I am not committing fisherman's suicide!! Oh well, maybe we could do an exchange some day? I'll take you to one of my haunts, if you take me to one of yours kind of thing!
In fact, I would like to see a program like that started, fishingminnesota.com or not.
( I brought the idea up a few months ago and had a couple interested parties, but nothin' since). This would get fisherman together across the state. I guarantee there isn't too many boys from Brainerd that have waded rivers/streams for smallmouth. Nor have I fished many lakes in around Brainerd. It could be a species thing as well.
For example, I'll trade a day of smallmouth/troutin' for a day of cat fishin'!! Let me know people!
Got off subject...AGAIN! Bend them rods!!!
Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 07-03-2001).]

Hi Jim, I read what you and dark were talking about. I guess since I was about eight I always heard people talk about "the rivers" as the Root-south branch and the north branch. So if I wright about the north branch, although geographicly wrong, I guess I mean the whole system. I prabably fish the middle much more often than the other sections of the river. I thought I once had a map that showed it as the "north branch" once they met west of Parsleys. Who cares. It's a great fishing river system.
Caught a couple smallmouth on Pepin Sun. Jumped and fought like crazy. Loved it. Can't wait to get back on the Root!! JLK

• 1 month later...

Jim,
Made my first trip wading the river. Caught only one small bass on a silver and black wally diver. I thru everthing I had for two hours. Used crawlers and had no luck there either. I am either loosing it or the fish just weren't hungry. Ah, but what a beautiful evening it turned out to be. I know there will be more of those, so I haven't given up yet. Heck, I've made it forty some years of prabably the same thing, I know it will get better. How about you? JLK

Was the water on the Root actually clean or is that why you used live bait (since it rained)? No offense against bait guys, just curious about water clarity.

Made it out to the North Branch of the Root on Saturday. Therecent rains had made the river a little too cloudy to fish effectively, although we managed a couple smallies.
we decided to hit a trib. and managed some decent trout with the largest around 15 inches. The smallies have been on the move a lot this year,but once you find them you shouldexperience a wonderful bite!!
Jim W

Hopper,

I was fishing north of Lanesboro just off 250. The river was crystal clear where I was fishing. It may have clouded a little by now, but was nice Sat.
The south branch in Preston got a little cloudy, but right now is clear again. JLK

Am going to Lanesboro next weekend, and am hoping to do some biking as well as fishing. Is the Root navigable by canoe this time of year, or strictly wet-foot fishin? In addition, an looking for a nice campsite on the river and near the RR trail if possible. Any advice for places to camp that will offer a modicum of seclusion (secondary) as well as good river access (primary)? Any help would be appreciated!

------------------

webby,

If you plan on canoeing(is navigable, but low), grab a Root river map from the DNR. There a couple(at least) first come first serve camp sites along the river(in the middle of no where). Fishing is tremendous on the Root in Sept!!!
You can either rent a canoe in Lanseboro, have the drop and pick you up, or if you have your own, put in at Parsley's bridge, then float all of the way to Lanesboro if you have the time!!
Multi-species excitement!!!
Otherwise, you are right smack dab in the middle of trout stream heaven!!! Get a trout map if you decide not to float her and pick one of many streams in the area!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!
Jim W