• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

wow. i was down at the zumbro river today wiht a buddy and we hauled in about ten smallies and boy is it fun fight ing them when they get in the current. we didnt get anything to big but we caught 1-1.5 lbs consistently. we were just throwing a yellow spinner around right at the silver lake dam.

fish4life,

AH yes, The Silver Lake Dam!! As a youngster, I spent many a day fishing below the Silver Lake Dam. Before the flood in 1978 there use to be just about everything under there. There use to be a very large hole directly under the dam, but for some reason the City of Rochester deemed it necessary to fill it in, in turn, destroying a wonderful fishery!!! Fishing below the dam sure kept me out of trouble!(somewhat, right Sarge?)

I spoke with a friend and suggested canoeing SIlver Lake and the Zumbro by the Power plant for bass and he thought I was joking. NO ONE fishes it! There is a "mystique" and stigma that your a "nobody" if you fish Silver Lake! It has been that way for 25 years! Could very well be some trophy bass and other species lurking the rip-rap(flood control project) walls and shorelines of the ZUmbro river and Silver Lake.
No motors allowed, but you could use a trolling motor or canoe!
See what you did, you got me thinking about fishing!(Thankyou) Thanks for the report, and don't be afraid to explore more of the ZUmbro and Silver Lake!!!(Just watch where you step! A lot of Goose Poop)
Keep the rods bendin'!!! Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 06-29-2001).]

Jim W.-How about canoeing the stretch from the rec center to 37th street bridge? Are there any known holding spots along that run?

------------------
Fish On!
Big Lew

BigLEw,

I haven't been on that stretch for years. There appears to be quite the decent run of water from the Rec center on. Where it meanders next to West Circle Drive, I have noticed decent looking water there. Never have fished it. Let me know if you float her etc. Jim W

Jim~
yeah pepople said the same thing to me about fishing there. i think its because of all the garbage and that crap and because it has kind of been inhabited by the minorities, but i dont care. if theres fish ill fish it.

Big Lew~
ive fished a bit by the elton hills drive bridge and had no luck but farther down it gets narrower for a bit then it looks real nice around the 37th street bridge so ill have to try it someday.

Fish4,

Please keep in mind this forum is fishing for fun etc. So please try to keep racial opinions out of the reports, whether they are yours or others. Anyone who has a license to fish, can so legally!
Please don't take offense, just trying to keep'er clean!

Now back to fishin'!! If you guys ever get a chance to canoe in Silver Lake, I highly recommend giving the wood cover shoreline(South side of Lake next to the old dredging pond) going into the 3 bridges area and out to the fire station. Then all of the rip-rap in front of the plant and the old cool water run-off drain directly next to the small parking lot on the South side of 7th st.

When I was a fishing fanatic lad, I caught a lot of real good size large and smallmouth out of Silver Lake. Believe it or not I use to catch 11-12 inch crappies on the North shore in the brush and debris next to shore. Who knows, could still be a decent pop. of crappiesin there!!!!!
Keep the rods bendin'!!! Jim W

All this talk of Silver lake, not to mention the hot weather, has flashed me back to the good 'ol days... of CARPIN'!

Boy, Jim W & myself used to have some darn fun afternoons battling HUGE shocked.gif CARP below the Oronoco dam. If you are looking for some drag screamin' fun, grab a can of corn and head over to the dam... but be sure to keep close to your rod if you plan to take it home!!!!!!!

i didnt mean to make a racial remark out of it i could care less who fishes there. but thats what people have said to me and i was jsut trying to give you an explanation of why it is looked down upon. but anyway like ja say tree was saying i had a nice carp on the other day and i caught it about ten feet away from me and i fouhgt it for about 15 minutes before it snapped my line 100 feet down the river.

fish4life,
I hope no offense was takin', just keepin'er' clean!! SOunds like you had a tussle with one of them big lipped muthas!!
Yehhaaa!

Tried 2 different locations on the Zumbro yesterday. On the North Branch of the Zumbro below the confluence with Mazeppa Creek. The North Branch is stained - probably 12" clarity. Mazeppa Creek is clear. No smallies, one brown on and lost after a whimpy hook set. Then closer to home near Oxbow for an hour - 2 smallies - one 16". That first decent smallie of the season sure feels good.
Heading up to my favorite water on the planet this weekend - Rainy Lake.

Wes,
I am definitely envious of your Rainy trip! Doesn't look like I get to venture North for a couple more months(nooo goood)! Good to hear from ya again! Good luck up Nort eh?! Let us know how you fair!!!