• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

At least in my neck of the woods, things are pretty ugly! The streams are on the rise as I write, with more rain forecasted. I'm hoping for a little dry spell for some stream walkin'!!

If you have been out or have a stream condition report,let's hear it!!
Can't bend my rod if I'm not fishin'!!!
Jim W

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jim W

• jeffleek

• DARK30

• fish4life

Top Posters In This Topic

HAVEN'T BEEN DOWN THERE FOR TWO WEEKS BUT I HEAR ITS KINDA HIT OR MISS. CAN'T MAKE IT THIS WEEK END EITHER BUT I'M GOING TO DENVER FOR FEW DAYS AND HOPEFULLY FIND SOME SORT OF GILLED CREATURES TO PLAY WITH!
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

[This message has been edited by DARK30 (edited 06-14-2001).]

Dark,
Better bring your winter gear, thaey just had some snow outside of Denver, nooo goooD!

All through out the Rocky Mountain region got hit pretty bad with snow. Lots of stuff got cancelled and they had winter weather adiveries for most of the day.

WELL THIS IS MORE OF A FAMILY THING BUT MY FOLKS ARE CAMPED AT A CHATFIELD STATE PARK SOUTHWEST OF DENVER AND THERES A RESIVOIR WITH A DAM ATTACHED---I LOVE DAMS. I GUESS I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT BUT IF THERES FISH, I'LL FIND THEM!
PRESTON NEXT WEEK HELL OR HIGH WATER(PROBABLY HIGH WATER)
WET NETS!

------------------

The Root in Preston this morning is high and mighty. But it normally does not take long for it to go down and somewhat clear-up. If your flying it may not work, but either live bait or throwing something will. If I get a chance in morning I'll let ya all know what's happenin. JLK

Yup! Still muddy. It is lower than yesterday even though it rose during night with the RAIN we had AGAIN! JLK

jeffleek,

Thanks for the update on the SOuth Branch of the Root River! Hoipefully we will get a stable weather pattern, opening up the streams for some hardcore wading!! Keep the info coming in!! Jim W

On my way into work today I took a gander at the North Branch of the Root River! From my vantage point it looks ready and willing! I'm on her either this evening or tomorrow evening with out a doubt!!! BRING ON THE SMALLIES!!!!!!!! YEHAAAA FINALLY!!! Jim W

Jim W, I live down that way and never seem to be able to get myself to fish the Root. All I ever hear about is trout, usually Rushford and above, and Redhorse, usually Houston and below. Would you be willing to share any info on how to get into some smallies?

Creek kid,

Smallies are found all of the way up the Root river. Smallmouth can be fished in dirtier water than trout. However in response to CRP programs etc. the Root river has been flowing mcu cleaner than even 7-10 years ago. This has allowed for more trout to remain in the North, middle and Main Branches of the Root. In fact, I have heard that the DNR plans on designating the Middle Branch of the Root for trout!
I highly recommend getting a trout map/Root river canoe map, pick a bridge and begin your quest for smallmouth on the Root.
Try throwing #9 original floating raps(black/silver) first. If no action go to spinners. Rooster tail bumble bee(yellow) or the Meps copper blade #1-2-3's. If that doesn't produce, go with plastics working them slow. If all else fails, try nightcrawlers.
Work current breaks, cover and slower eddies adjacent to main current/riffle flows. Also the larger pools can be effective as well! IF you can find boulders, yehaa!!
I hope this helps to start off? Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 06-21-2001).]

Jim W, Just wondering how far up you have to go? I manage to catch a few on on the 'Miss but it's usually by chance while casting for green ones. What do you use... Mepps spinners, Raps, or live bait? Probably would have to make some noise in the dirty water now. Like I say, I've never gone after them specifically. I'm guessing that casting is best with the current being so strong. Do they usually hang in the current breaks or right in the deep holes? I'd really like to try it. Any info will help. Thanks a lot!

Doubled checked the North Branch last night. I must be getting old or over zealous for smallies, because the Root isn't quite ready yet for smallies. I would give it a shot on Sunday! It shoud be good to go by then. Hope for NO rain!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim, I was wondering what part of the northbranch you drive over to get to work. I thought maybe it was waaayyy up at head end. I've been really busy so I couldn't let you know what I saw of root. It is muddy on 250 north of Lanesboro. Not so high but muddy. I was going to take my little boat down this weekend for some walleyes and a bass or two. Oh well. Maybe next weekend.
The root in Preston is getting nice. Not clear yet but very fishable.JLK

jeff,

No it really isn't up all that much, mostly just a tad to dirty. I usually cross it on County 1. My guess is the Main branch down Lanesboro way won't be too good until Mid-next week! However, a lot of the feeder creeks seem to be fairly clear. This helps clean up the larger rivers and streams a lot faster. Good lUck and let us know how you do! Keep the rods bendin'!!! Jim W

The Root in Preston is getting real nice now! The water is getting clearer every day.

Jim, did you make it bass'n?

Went to Preston (Root) on sat, I caught about 4 nice Rainbows. Also drove down to Forestville SP and caught some nice Brown's
all off of brown Rap's and gold Panther-Martins.
The water was not crystal clear but good for spinners and raps.
Saw a guy in Forestville tossin' flys, he said he had caught a few but not large.

Good Luck,

Ed

Rochester, MN

jeffleek,

I finally made it out Sunday for some smallies! Actually, I was in LaCrosse for a weekend and my wife and I tried some shore action for whatever. We managed a few smallmouth, but that was it. The river was getting fairly high down below Dresbach and all most over the spill-way at the Reno Bottoms.
Sarge and I explored some water we haven't traversed yet, trudging and struggling through, nettles, itch weed and grass well over our heads. Not to mention that it was pretty hot out!
We managed 2 or 3 nice smallmouth! Sarge landed one that was an easy 3 lbs.!! He caught it on our patended plastic crawfish rig! I caught a couple on a rap and a power worm rig!
SOmetimes finding good smallmouth water takes some exploring and hardship. Usually the results out weigh the trouble finding them!!! Good luck out there and enjoy this "killer" weather!! Keep the rods bendin'!!1

Jim W

THE ROOT IN THE PRESTON AREA WAS A LITTLE HIGH AND STILL A BIT CLOUDY BUT THE RAPALA WORKED. BOY, THERE WERE ALOT OF PEOPLE OUT BIKING,TUBING,CANOEING, AND FISHING AT THE CAMPGROUND (FULLHOUSE)
COLORADO WAS NICE, I ONLY GOT TO FISH ONE AFTERNOON AND DIDN'T FOOL ANY...OH WELL. MY FOLKS WERE CAMPED AT CHATFIELD RESEVOIR S.W. OF DENVER WHICH IS WELL STOCKED WITH WALLEYES AND CHANNELS (I WAS SURPRISED) AND THEY HAVE ONE SIZE REGULATION ON THE EYES........EVERYTHING OVER 18" GOES BACK. THEY SAY THERES ALOT OF FISH OVER 10lbs TOO
I'M HEADING FOR PRESTON AGAIN THIS WEEKEND (ALONE THIS TIME) HOPE TO GET SERIOUS!
WET NETS!

------------------

Dark30, Where do you fish in the Preston area? Are you using spinners and raps? Do you ever fish with bait-worms,cut,minnows? What size fish are you catching?JLK

I STAY AT HIDDEN VALLEY CAMPGROUND ON THE WEST SIDE OF PRESTON. ITS RIGHT ON THE RIVER AND THERES PLENTY OF FISH WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE FROM THE SMART FIRE.
I HEAR OF PEOPLE USING CUT BAIT AND CATCHING FISH BUT I ALWAYS GO WITH A RAP OR MISTER TWISTER. I'VE HAD LOTS OF GOOD FISHING THE PAST TWENTY YEARS DOWN THERE MOSTLY BETWEEN PRESTON AND THE OLD BARN RESORT. THERES REALLY STARTING TO BE ALOT OF PEOPLE AROUND THAT AREA SO FISHING IS A LITTLE TOUGHER ON WEEKENDS.
WET NETS!

------------------

Dark30, If you haven't tried yet-wade up a riffles or some fast water in evening. Like the hole just below hidden camp ground-in corner. There are others too. Be careful not to go to far or too close to hole. Cast up into hole and bring back slow. It may be a little shallow there, but that's ok. You'll be able to work your twister tail a little slower than your rap. Can be a good spot in the evenings. JLK

JEFFLEEK,
YA, THATS A NICE HOLE...ALWAYS HAS BEEN. THERES LOTS OF PLACES TO CHECK BUT YOU CAN'T BE EVERYWHERE AT TWILIGHT!
WHAT BIZ DO YOU RUN IN PRESTON?

------------------

Went out to trout run and whitewater this past weekend and still seemed too murky for decent fly fishing. Any streams around the area suitable for some good fly fishing yet?

DARK30,
NORTHWEST ALUMINUM-ROOT RIVER CARPET

FLYGUY,
THE ROOT IN PRESTON AIN'T BAD.

Hey all,

Bogsucker and I tried a spot we knew of where a smaller feeder creek dumps into a larger and warmer running stream. We managed 5 or 6 nice browners with the largest hitting the 17inch mark!
The were sitting directly under the edge of the murkier waters of the larger stream. We threw Raps at them with a spot and go retrieve. They all hit on the stop!

After that bite slowed we tried for smallies. We caught 5 or 6 of them as well, with the largest only around 1 1/2 lbs. They were caught on Rapalas and a #3 meps(crome blade/white skirt).

Keep the rods bendin'!!! Jim W

Hey all, The root in Preston looks like Heaven this morning. Crossed parsleys last night and the north branch is looking darn nice. I also hear the big one is coming down fast. Decisions, decisions. If I work this right I might be able to sneek in a few hours on each. Oh well, that's life. JLK