• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HEY ALL,

IT'S SMALLMOUTH TIME!!

UNFORTUNATELY, I HAVE NOT HAD THE OPPORTUNITY YET TO ENJOY MY FAVORITE PAST-TIME, WADING FOR BRONZEBACKS(OR GEENBACKS IN SE MN). LET'S MAKE THIS FORUM ROCK WITH VALUABLE SMALLMOUTH STORIES, INFORMATION AND REPORTS!
I KNOW I WILL FILL YOU IN AS SOON AS I GET OUT THERE AND DO SOME WADING MYSELF!

SO LET US GET THIS SEASON OFF TO A GOOD START! I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT I'M HOPING TO BREAK THAT 5LB BARRIER MORE THAN JUST ONCE THIS YEAR!!! LET US KNOW HOW THE SMALLY FISHIN' HAS BEEN FOR YOU!

I GUARANTEE YOUR ROD WILL BE BENDIN' HARD WHEN YOU GO SMALLMOUTH FISHING!!!!!! LOOK FORWARD TO DISCUSSING THIS FINE FINNED FRIEND OF OURS, THE SMALLMOUTH! JIM W

wow it changed my name again! so in reality here i am Born2Fish and Born to fish!! Neways, i havent myself been able to target mainly smallies but have caught a few fishing for crappies! I am savin all my engergy for my august trip to Little Johnson in northern Minnesota. I caught my 1st 5lbs smallie from that lake. Maybe the ol' state record might just be lurkin in that there lake!! All it took for that 5 pounder to hit was a good old walleye hook and a leech. The leech had to of no sooner hit the water when the smallie slammed it and just took off! Wow, there is no other feeling in the world than that of a huge smallie tearin drag. I can't wait for that trip!! Only 2 months to go.....

Me and Mrs. Big_Lew are hoping for a trip up to either Vermilion or one of the lakes in the Ely area for some smallie fishing around the 4th of July. Can hardly wait. Were might Johnson Lake be? Can you share any info? Thanks in advance.

------------------
Fish On!
Big Lew

A buddy an I fished the bass opener on the Miss. near Monticello.The water was very high and fast but with a little advice from Toad we found fish.We caught all of the bass in little slack water pockets along the bank,in the grass and trees.The fish were nice size too,most running 15 to 17".We also caught two 19" and I got a 20,a nice bass!Spinner baits and bettle spins seemed to be the best in a yellow color.
Last weekend I fished Leech but couldn't talk anyone into going after any smallies.
I'm looking for something to do this weekend,I was thinking of trying some trout fishing but a multi species day with some smallies mixed in would be fun.I am not familiar with southeast MN.Are there some rivers where I can have a good chance at both? Can a guy use a jet rig on some of the rivers or would that be poor etiquette.I also have waders and a canoe.

Can't tell me that no one has gone smallmouth fishing yet? IF so, all the more for me! Hehe!

Thanks for responding boys!

Fishhead, I have never seen motorized boats on any of the rivers in SE MN. I would highly recommend the wader/canoe route.

The main branch of the Root River has multiple species. Everything from walleye/sauger, trout, smallmouth, gar Northern, mooneye etc.

If you took the time to grab a map of the river there are first come first serve camp sites along the river. Or there are places to put in and take out, making for a good one day fishing trip as well!

A very good canoe starting point is "Parsley's"(sp?) bridge, just South of Chatfield on Highway 52. If you want a mix bag, which you will get, I'd focus for smallies throughout the river then once you approach feeder creeks key in on trout. Heck, I'd through a #11 rapala all of the way through and you'd catch plenty of fish. If you have any more questions let me know!!!! The ROot River rocks!!!! Jim W

Yeah i can tell where Johnson is. Though not easy to find i can also get a number that can get you contacted with the resort owner on that lake. But it is located on a few diff lakes, there are Big Johnson(rarely fished) and there is Little Johnson(always fished!) And that last trip was my 1st there so i really dont know exact roads(i didnt drive there) but it is about 8 hours north of the cities. It is right before you get to Cass lake. What we had to do is bring all of our weeks supplies to the begining of the trail they had, pack it all up on trailers, take it all down this huge(and it seems like it goes on forever) trail, then un-pack it all again onto a barge, then pack it all once again into the boats that we rented. Now you can really cut down on all of this if you bring your own boat(i would recommend a smaller boat cause the trail is small!!)trailer and 4 wheeler.Then you can just get all your stuff down there for free instead of 60$ a trip to get it hauled down. And once you get on the lake you have your choice of over 10 islands to camp on. Or if you call in advance and have them take care of you, you can have a very nice modern cabin. They are like 540$ a week for up to 11 people. Boats are like 140 a week not including gas and motor!Yeah that sucks. But if you dont mind just ruffing it out on a isolated island then i would recommend again you just bring your own boat and 4wheeler. There are crappers out on each and every island so it isnt too much ruffing it. But i also would recomend tying your food and what not in a tree if you stay on a the in-land(bears) but everyone i have talked to that has went there for the past 5 or so years say they have yet to see one up there. If you would like i could get all the information that is needed. My relatives have a yearly update on what is new and all the prices. If you want i could get it to you for nothing. Just email me and let me know.
[email protected]

One other thing is that no motor over 25hp is allowed on the lake.

Jim W-- Had a great night on smallies last night. We boated 13 between 1 1/2 and 4 1/2 pounds. We were fishing within 5 miles of where you are going to be camping this weekend. I am ironically heading to SE MN tomorrow for some trout fishing. Shoot me an email for some detailed info on the bite (my buddy would kill me if I posted it). What I know on my own, is that they've been nailing them on the spillway on Green. Also picking up some eyes there as well. Saw many boats fishing very close to the access in Spicer also... am assuming they're picking up eyes there as well. Have a fun weekend. I'll be back by Saturday-- maybe I'll try and track you and JA down at #5!

Duck-o-holic

[email protected]

Duck-o-holic,

Thanks for the report. Those are some nice smallies indeed!! Nothing fights better! That 4 1/2 lber must have given up quite the tussle!! JA and I will be on the water most of the Day Saturday, but plan on hitting land(campground) near 5:00pm for a bite to eat. Hook up if you can! Jim W

Jim W--

What kind of a vehicle/camper will you have at the site? I have some more info for you on where and how we were getting the bronzebacks. We had a few others fishing in the same area, but were not using the same presentation-- and were also not catching fish! Shoot me an email...

Duck-o-holic

[email protected]

hey
went by canoe down section of the zumbro with the girlfriend in front she casted to holes with 3.5 in silver/black rap. as we went by did not catch many but the three we did land were 15, 16, and one 19 bruiser that hit right next to the canoe. she had a blast and no longer doubts the size of fish I tell her are there.
Anyone ever catch SM's on poppers or fly's ?
any tips ?