• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey all,

"jl" was kind enough to share a stream report for Cold Spring Brook. Stream was little less than clear.

I was down at the South Fork of the Root on Sunday. A little on the cloudy side of things, but this stream generally clears up fast. Driving over the South Branch of the Root, It appeared to be very fishable, although running full. Most smaller, rock lined streams are very clear at this time.
If you have any updates or stream condition reports please send them in!(Don't forget, Tourt Day on Saturday) Keep them rods bendin'!!! Jim W

WELL THE ROOT IN THE PRESTON AREA IS A BIT CLOUDY AND STILL A LITTLE HIGH. I DIDN'T GET A CHANCE TO DO ANY POWER FISHING BUT I GOT THE LITTLE GUY WORKING ON CASTING. HE GOT A COUPLE OF TAGS BUT DIDN'T GET ANY OUT OF THE WATER. I DID SEE A FEW MORE PEOPLE OUT FOR TROUT THIS TIME. WE GOT THE CAMPGROUND CLEANED UP AND HAD A PICNIC WITH A FEW OF THE REGULARS.
IT STARTED RAINING A LITTLE AFTER NOON ON SUNDAY AND I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH FELL BUT IT WOULDN'T TAKE MUCH TO MESS IT UP AGAIN.
I THINK FORESTVILLE SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO THIS WEEKEND UNLESS IT REALLY POURS.
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Made it down to Lanesboro early Saturday. Clarity on the South branch of the Root above the confluence was about 8"; on the North Branch near Torkelson about 4"; Bear Creek at Cty. 1 was 12-14". Managed to catch 3 small browns. Sounds like the weather for the next several days should start dry and warm things up around SE MN.

The most interesting event was watching a hawk try and pick up what was probably a good size sucker out of fast high rapids. I've never seen a hawk swim before but this guy was not about to let go of his dinner and whatever he had a hold of was either swimming or being carried downstream by the current with the hawk firmly dug in. He finally did let go after failing to get off the water with it.

See you at Forestville around 9 AM Saturday, unless the trout won't let me off the water by then!

Going to head down and checkout the Whitewater valley after work today. I'll post another message with what I find. I have heard that the North and South branches are still pretty muddy, but that the upper end of the Middle branch is clearing up nicely. One note... The 3.3 mile stretch of the Middle branch of the Whitwater from Olmsted county road 9 north is "Barbless hook and C & R only". I say this only because a number of the streams in the area have special regs on them. So, make sure to check your 2001 fishing regs book before you head out.

Well .... Didn't catch any fish, but can't say I got skunked either! How could you on a beautiful Mn spring day like it was. I fished the Crow Spring section of the Middle branch of the Whitewater. The stream was in great shape. Just slightly cloudy down by the County 107 bridge. There were clouds of Midges around the stream and lots of Small mayflies nad some Caddis also. Apparently the Midge hatch started around 10am and the trout gorged themselves on them. This I learned from another fisherman who had a buddy that had been there in the morning when the hatch started and caught upwords of 50 fish. I managed to get one small trout to go after a Blue Wing Olive dryfly and tried several nymph patterns with no success. Drove into Whitwater park around 4pm before I stared fishing and the water looked somewhat more cloudy there then it did upstream by County 9. See everyone at Forestville on tomorrow !

FORESTVILLE HELD OODLES OF SMALL TROUT DURING DAYLIGHT THIS WEEKEND AND THE ROOT NEAR PRESTON WAS PRODUCNG LOTS OF SHAKERS AS WELL. THE WATER IS PERFECT, I DIDN'T GET ANYTHING OVER 14" ALTHOUGH SOME VERY NICE FISH WERE SAID TO HAVE BEEN CAUGHT.
I'LL BE DOWN AGAIN THIS WEEKEND(I'M PUSHIN IT).
WET NETS!

------------------

I went out after trout day with "Sarge" to one of my favorite spots. We caught around 30 + trout. I landed a beautiful 17 1/2 incher! Earlier I had a 20+ slash and flash at my rap but did not return to get hooked! I'm really surprised that no one asked me about some of my favorite spots during Trout Day. Well, I guess you'll have to wait until next year!!! Keep them rods bendin'!!
Jim W

JIMW, I WISH WE COULD HAVE TALKED MORE ABOUT ALL YOUR GOOD SPOTS! I FOUND A FEW FOSSILS I WANTED TO SHOW YOU TOO BUT WE SCRAMBLED BACK TO PRESTON IN ANTICIPATION OF DEEPER WATER AND LOTS OF BROWNS.
I'LL BE AROUND THERE AGAIN THIS WEEKEND IF YOU WANT TO GET TOGETHER.
[email protected]

------------------

Driving over some head waters on my way to work this morning I noticed most streams/rivers are flowing high! However, they aren't raging like they were earlier in April. I'm guessing(depending on precipitation in the next few days) that most will be back to good fishing, early to mid next week! As you know it is/can be very frustrating in the Spring down here. However, I do love and prefer fishing water/streams that are running full!
Keep them rods bendin' hard!!!!! Jim W