• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

DARK30

JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE ON THIS FORUM HUNTS FOR MORELS IN THE SPRING. I'D LIKE TO DO THAT THIS YEAR, ANY TIPS OR INFO? I'VE TASTED WILD PUFFBALLS FRIED IN BUTTER AND THEY ARE FANTASTIC BUT I'D LIKE TO TRY THE MORELS. I KNOW THAT PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHERE THEY ARE KEEP MORE TIGHTLIPPED ABOUT THEM THAN ANY FISHERMAN WOULD BE ABOUT HIS HONEYHOLE!
I'M REALLY LOOKING FOREWARD TO WALKING AROUND IN THOSE BLUFFS AND HARDWOODS WITH MY CAMERA AND GLASSES --- NO I'M NOT A TREE HUGGER.

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Bogie

Dark30
I love to hunt morels - sometimes I think it keeps me from fishing when I should be but then I think - fish are always there but the morels are only there for two weeks.

The last few years have not been good ones tho

I haven't found any Puffballs since I found out they were good to eat - I remember kicking plenty of them footbals in my younger years. Wish I could find some now.

DARK30

HI BOGIE,
I FOUND SOME PUFFBALLS LAST YEAR BUT THEY SEEM TO BE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN. I THOGHT I'D LEARN A LITTLE MORE ABOUT THE MORELS LIKE ABOUT WHEN THEY START GROWING DOWN SOUTHEAST AND WHAT TO CONSIDER WHEN LOOKING FOR THEM.
ARE YOU READY FOR TROUT?

------------------

Bogsucker

Look for morels when apple leaves are as big as a squirrels ear. I'll start looking in about a week or two (depending on temp), I've found them as late as early june, May seems to be the best time to find them. I've found morels around dead elm, oak and apple trees. Don't look for just an hour or two and then quit when you don't find any, there could be a bushel of them around the next dead tree you find. I used to sell them but now I'd rather fry 'em up with a couple of fresh trout and and a bunch of fresh asparagus. Gotta go, this is makin me hungry.

Jim W

Bogsucker,

So what is the chance of hooking up for some morel hunting? I'll provide the fresh asparagus and trout if you put me on some Morels!!!!!! Jim W

Creek Kid

Dark 30 - I haven't gone after them for couple years. Seeing as it's early yet, I'll say I will this year. I like to walk cattle paths in pastures where there's some firewood cut down and the woods start. It's a lot easier to spot them when you're not in real thick stuff. I know of a lot of dead elms along the backroads but you need to be the first guy out to get to those spots. If you watch the shoulders you'll start seeing where people pull off and run down in the ditch. Fun way to spend an a nice sunny day if you don't have the energy to hoof it. I'll let you know if I get out. Good luck.

frydaddy

check out www.morelheaven.com

Does anyone know when the Elba morel festival is? Last year it was 2nd weekend in May which if it is the same this year it will coincide with walleye opener........hmmm tough choice. NOT!

DARK30

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP! I'M LOOKING FOREWARD TO MY "TIME WELL SPENT" IN S.E. MN. THIS YEAR IN A BIG WAY. I WAS JUST DOWN THERE ON SAT....ITS STARTING TO COME ALIVE, THERES ALL KINDS OF SIGHTS AND SOUNDS.
LOVE THOSE BLUFFS!

------------------

LAUGER

What's the word? Anyone finding morels? Is it worth it to look this weekend?
thanks

Bogie

Way to early as far as I can tell but I sure hope it's soon. I'M HUGREY !!!!!!!!!

Creek Kid

FYI: went after some morels Sun 4/29 in a spot I always manage to find a couple of meals at. Nothing. Too early, too dry, or both. Sounds like rain during the week, maybe find some next weekend. Anyone else go out?

delmuts

here in n.e. iowa they have been finding a few grays and sat & sun a few yellows. we need a few more warm nights, and ????! maybe a little rain?( i know that is not a very nice word yet!!) del

Bogie

Anybody finding any in southern MN ??????
I was out this mourning and found three very small greys buried in the leaves.

DARK30

WELL I MIGHT AS WELL BE HUNTING FOR SNIPES BUT A LADY IN THE CAMPGROUND FOUND ABOUT A DOZEN. SHE COOKED UM UP IN BUTTER AND S&P.........THOSE THINGS ARE GOOD! SHE SAYS THEY NEED SOME WARM NIGHTS NOW.

------------------