• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Old Spots/New Spots

After "lurking" in the background for a while, I'm going to try & pass on a few fishing spots that I've had the opportunity to find in the Roch./S.E. Minn. area. ( Jim W. was the one to give me the reason to try this post; He got me to thinking about "Then vs. Now".)
I hope I might be able to help some that read this part of FishingMinnesota; so that the folks that live here, or come to visit don't think that all the "great" Mn. fishing is up north of the Twin Cities. (I live in N.Goodhue County now, but was born & raised in Rochester & nearby.)
I have quite a few spots that I'm willing to share. From The Mississippi at Red wing to Mankato to Austin to Caledonia & back up river. A lot of them may have been changed over the years, due to flood, or property changing hands, or houses being built. But, I'm willing to share, just for the chance to pass info on...
If this post continues, feel free to mention an area that you are interested in. I covered a lot of ground over the last 25-30 years fishing this area & might be able to help. This info is somewhat old, but I'll bet these spots will still produce...
Note: I realize & so must you, that the places I am speaking of, are not necessarily
"Ice-fishing" spots, but are "Fishing" spots.
Be VERY CAREFUL if you attempt to access these spots during the winter. They all, but for Bailey Pnd/lake are areas with running water & would be hazardous to ice-fish. I brought these spots up in Rochester first just to give you an idea of some places to explore for fishing opportunities in any season. But since this is the Ice fishing forum, I'll try to keep any further posts to hardwater areas. Spots on Lake Zumbro,Wabasha, Weaver/West Newton area, Doerer pools in Whitewater,some quarry ponds(they may not be there any more.. frown.gif )& farm ponds,etc. There are less "hardwater" areas , but a ton of fishing spots that are worth knowing about.
Rochester is a good place to start. It's grown, but there are spots I'd bet are still good , even with the "flood-control" measures that were implemented since 1978 when we had a bad flood. At that time , some of the urban fishing spots that produced some good fishing were...
Just behind the Silver Lake Park swimming pool across from the cemetery down to the river.

Either side below the City Powerplant dam.

Below the Silver Lake dam.(about a 1/4 mile down, by the old mill park(late1800's- early1900's there was a mill there.)there's a spot there that was hot since the I can remember. Bend in the main river w/ a creek coming in.(can't remember the name of the creek).
The stretch between the Elton Hills Dr. bridge & 37th st was a good stretch.
Come ta think of it... from the 37th st.bridge all the way out to the Quarry on Cnty road 14 is a great stretch. Make sure to check out the bend in the river by the old "city garden plots"(if they're still there.)
it's where 55th st. starts.(east end). That's the continuance of the old "North Goose line" that runs from Hwy 63 at the old Book's trailer park(behind Foster-Arends to the North) Aahhh but I rambled on too far North for "urban" I think..
BTW- Foster-Arends has already been covered in this forum so I'll not cover it further here. But, to the NNW , not far away, see if there's some quarries that you may want to look & see if they have water; they're most likely posted, but who knows, unless you explore?? Haven't been over there in many years. You may find a new honey-hole...& the river there has produced many a fine fish.The old Books T.Park road (west end)is where to start looking....
Don't forget the S. Fork coming in on the South side. All the way from Mayowood to & thru Soldiers-Field Golf course , there
are some fine spots. Even "Bailey lake" was a hotspot for sunnys & bluegills at one time(right across from Apache mall, South of the Motel & Country buffet.West of the bridge on 52. Probably private now. (I helped build those condos on the N. side of the "lake". Wasn't private then.)
"Nuff said for now. There are more spots...I just started with Rochester & didn't even hit them all... Just do some explorin'! If you have a question about more of Rochester area, or the surrounding S.E. Mn. area & I can help,I will. Just ask. I hope that the moderators of this forum will let me continue to add more spots from the surrounding area covered by this forum, to this post. I haven't even touched on even a small part of the area yet..

Have a Great Day & Hope ta see ya on the water, or in the field! grin.gif

------------------
Good Luck & Watch your bobber!
MnSportsman
Proud to be a member in good standing, of the
"Church of the Divine Wilderness"!
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by MnSportsman (edited 01-25-2001).]

Mnsportsman,

Welcome aboard!!! The more information that is exchanged only enhances the fishing opportunities for everyone!!!

Ahh, the silver lake region! I spent many a year as a youth fishing in Rochester. I grew up only a 1/2 block from Silver lake. I can remember the days of crappie, sunny, bluegill, large and smallmouth fishing(let's not forget the hard pull of the carp and catfish)on Silver Lake! Before the flood in 78 and just after a guy could catch literally hundreds of fish! My favorite spot back then was the culvert on the NE side of the lake.

I remember losing one of my first rods to a fish after propping it on a rock, then finding it half decomposed after the city drained the lake for dredging! The creek you referred to is Cascade Creek.

For those of you out there who would like to get away from the crowds, there is plenty of opportunity for stream and river fishing around Rochester and SE MN!!! Like MNsportsman, I have devoted most of my free time the last 25 years in exploring and fishing SE MN. All of your input is welcomed! I believe that is what this is all about!!!

Man did you open up the memory bank! I can recall catching or witnessing others catching just about every fresh water species under the Silver Lake dam!! It is very unfortunate that the city felt the need to fill in the hole directly under the dam!!! That was a guaranteed fun day of fishing!!! Thanks for the info and dusting off old memories! Keep the info coming in and the rods a bendin'!!!
Jim W

HEYO!
SOUTH EAST IS REAL NICE! I SPEND ALOT
OF TIME ON THE MN.RIVER CAUSE ITS CLOSE
BUT IF I CAN GET AWAY,ITS S.E.OR BUST.
THERES A POND JUST OVER THE S.EDGE OF HWY
52 SOUTH OF TOWN AND PAST HWY 63. I,VE
SEEN PEOPLE DOWN THERE FISHING AS I DRIVE
TOWARDS PRESTON. NOW THIS LAST FALL I
NOTICED THEY ARE DREDGING IT. DOES ANYONE
NOW THE "SCOOP" ON THAT? LOOKS LIKE SOME
NEW CONSTRUCTION THERE ON THE WEST SIDE
COULD BE AN ACCESS.

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

[This message has been edited by DARK30 (edited 01-25-2001).]

I do a lot of fishing on the rivers south of rochester toward the Spring Valley/Stewartville areas. I tangle with a lot of nice smallies every summer. On a hot summers day nothing beats wading in these rivers from pool to pool. I usually carry a small box full of small crankbaits and jig/twisters. Lots of smallies in the 12-14" category but plenty in the 16" range and a few 18" even that it makes for a blast. Hot summer evenings are the best in July and August. I have 1 honey hole on Deer Creek that holds very large smallies and i've caught quite a few big boys on topwaters such as popR's and buzzbaits. Oh yeah...the banjo minnow you see on TV...it does work...the smallies in the big pools with not much current love them.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

She's working again Gang : )

My apologies. I was working on the forum and had you on hold for a bit...sooo sorry.

PS. If you see "This page cannot be displayed after posting...it is posting. So don't redo it unless you want multiple posts.

I'm waiting for infopop(this Forum center software producer) to fix their bugs to eliminate that problem.

.....AND THATS THE ONLY PLACE I CAN TELL
YOU THAT YOU WILL CATCH 20" BROWNS ON
EVERY CAST.

Hey Folks, ya my post got lost along the way... but basically I just wanted to say "Welcome" to all the new visitors. Jim W & myself were basically using this forum like e-mail all last season, so it will be great to get more people involved.

I was born & raised in Rochester, and have fished the waters in and around for about 25 years. I usually like to venture out to more quiet places, but there was a time when I used to walk over to the Zumbro by Soldiers Field and catch some pretty good smallies (and chubs & suckers)!

As stream fishing kicks into full gear, you'll find that this forum gets hit pretty often my either Jim or myself. One or the other of us is usually out nearly every day (yes we are obsessed!!!) if conditions allow.

Hoping to hear more reports from the locals!!!

JA

Hey guys and gals! Well since we are gonna give out some of out "honey-holes" i think that i can give out the little that i know about some good fishing here around rochester. Even though i may only be 22 i have been fishing all the lakes and rivers around this area for about 10 years. So here are some spots that i know you should try out for yourselfs!!

Spot #1: The rock quarries in Stewertville. I honestly don't know if they have banned all access to these "holes" but i know that i have been there in the past year and there are spots that are legal to enter. What i have found were litterally millions of sunfish and bluegill. I mean these lakes are filled with them. These spots are also teaming with large and smallmouth. Winter, and summer fishing is recomended!
Spot #2: Now this is a spot that i know some of you have been to in the past but few have even tried to get a hole out on the ice. It does lay on the river, but, there is no need to go out on the river. You can drill right off of shore!! In the summer you can fish anywhere there and catch fish. This spot is just ABOVE Mac's park place. It is a little road that leads up a winding path that you can either take a car or even walk up. It is actually right above the dam. But more over by what we all call now "The Steps" There you can catch tons of crappies,bluegills,sunfish,bass(large and small) and about everything else in between. Some nights the catfish action is way way too good!!!(summer of course)

Spot #3: Ok now i am sure that no one here has ever fished this pond. I have not even fished this pond!! But i know of people that have fished it in the winter and summer and say panfish up to about a pound have been caught. Bass and other fish get caught all the time but all the people that have told me said that panfishing is what this pond is all about. Ok 1st you need to head to Pine Island. About 15min north of Roch. You go into town to where the stop sign is right between Kwik-Trip and Bruces Food Pride. Take a left. Now you will go through 2 stop signs. Keep following the road. Now you will come up to where you can go either around a bend to the left or up a road to the right. Keep on the road you turned on at the Kwik-Trip. You will go out about 4.3 miles. Till you get to 265th ave. Make a left once again. This now should be a gravel road. Follow the gravel a long ways till you get to a very big hill that curves up and to the right.(now there is a smaller hill that goes up and to the right but that is in front of a big cow farm. You will see a white house on the right side of the road. It has a long driveway to the house. Even though you must ask to fish this pond the people living there are very very nice people and will let anyone fish it. Try this out and you WILL go home with enough to feed the family!!

Thanks everyone for sharing your info with all of us and any more spots that i find or hear about i will make sure that i let all you wonderful people know about them!! Thanks once again and Keep Fishin!!!!!!

Born to fish,
You sure saved me me some typing.. wink.gif

Yes, those spots are good! I have fished them all,save for the pond near Douglas, been by there but never got a chance to fish it.
Just a few "smally" spots that got lost in cyberspace yesterday.
Middle fork of the Zumbro from Oxbow park to the bridge on Cty rd.14 by Genoa,Mn.(just(West) past Douglas,Mn. from Hwy52).
Main Zumbro on Cty14 up & down stream from the Bridge by the quarry (between Hwy63 & Hwy 52. 1-2 miles West of 63)
South Part of the North branch (2 come together in Pine Island)from Berne,Mn. to Pine Island.
& I don't know if I want to part with this.... wink.gif
Cannon river from the Ol'Miss to Lake Byllesby dam.
There are lots of other game fish in all of these, but these are great smally waters in the North end of this region.
also the Cedar river near Austin Mn. There is
a spot just west of Todd park under a R.R. bridge that is a great hole. Caught some real, real nice Rockies there too! & from Mac's down-stream has some great holes too!
Zumbro falls...Thielman area... & on...& on...
Just a few... You guys got me thinkin'of open water too early! wink.gif

I'll post a few "hard" water spots here too.
After a while... Gotta go check on the minnows for the weekend.... wink.gif

------------------
MnSportsman
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by MnSportsman (edited 01-26-2001).]

It's very good to see people getting involved with the Rochester SE MN site! If the interest keeps up we might have to have a get-together, BBQ/fishing come spring/summer!

Ofcourse there are some spots that I consider "secret and World class" that will take a lot more than teeth pulling to get from me. The main reason for this is, several years ago I was at one of those spots. On this particular day(which was indeed a rare occasion) I noticed a couple younger guys sitting above an excellent hole fishing with bobbers(there is nothing wrong with bobber fishing). I asked them how they were doing and they promptly replied excellent, ofcourse! They then proceeded to tell me that the evening before they had caught, and kept three fish. A 20 incher a 191/2 and a 17(trout that is)! First of all, there is no need to keep trout that large. I don't care what anyone says about that! Second, by law, you can only keep one trout over 16 inches, they were over their limit! I expressed my concern and they simply replied, "Don't worry, there are a lot of big ones in here"!

Not to say any of you SE MN fisherman would follow such tactics, this makes it hard for me to share spots. I have caught a ton of trout out of that stream that would be considered a trophy, none kept! I'm still waiting for that minimum 24 incher!!!

My point to all of this is, maybe getting together and sharing information and beliefs along with going over the laws with my fellow SE MN fisherman could prevent depletion of native "trophy" fish! In turn gaining trust in each other so we can feel free to share our "honey holes"!!!
Maybe it's time to branch off and create the opportunity for fisherman other than the "Trout Unlimited" folks, to share info, concerns, legislation etc.

I get worked up over this! I have spent many a day, walking many miles of stream and river to get to where I'm at today. A lot of personal sweat and time spent, falling down, ripping waders, getting stung and bitten up by mosquitoes and deer flies(Sarge can relate to this he's a deer fly magnet) in search of sweet runs that pour gently into tourqoise colored holes! Let's save what we have now while making it even better for those who will find these "honey holes" in the future! I can't wait for the day when my son comes home excited and shares the story of his wonderful catch!!!!!! Keep them rods a bendin'!!!!! Jim W

Hey Jim W you said yesterday in a post that you fished Deer Creek. I think it was a post that "disappeared"? Anyway...have you ever caught walleyes out of Deer Creek? This goes along with your last post about keeping bigger fish. Well i have a spot on Deer Creek that there is indeed walleyes..and yes they grow to be very nice sized. I was shocked the first time i hoooked one....wading in the creek with a 22" at my feet. Since then we have pulled fish out of there up to 26". I know how long these fish have been in there (yes the DNR put some in a certain location) i have reason to believe that 26" isnt the maximum size of the fish in there. Anyway...last april i was cruising by this spot and there was a guy fishing there and he had a 25" walleye on his stringer. In mid april!! I asked if he had any idea there was a season for one. He said he figured the game wardens would never cruise that area so he wasnt worried. I told him to let the damn fish go....im calling the game warden...and your not leaving with that fish. He promptly released the beauty of an eye. 2nd i asked him...how many walleyes do you think are swimming in here that you feel you should keep a 26"er. I mean come on...this is not a big body of water and there arent a lot of walleyes in there. Fish for 3 hours and you may catch a walleye...there have been few days when i've caught more than 1. He just non-caringly said why do you care? This kind of crap ticks me off. Its just like Madison Lake by Mankato when i fish that the first few weeks of season. It is not hard to catch a 26+ walleye there and a mess of 20-24" in a night. So here are these guys keeping a 28" walleye to eat and if they arent breaking the law and keeping some more over 24" then there other 5 walleyes are like 23". Hard to believe...but this lake is a great fishery when you figure it out and guys are doing this. And with a 1200 acre lake it cant be good to take that many fish out of there that size. I personally want to see a statewide slot on walleyes. You cant tell me if you are catching 20-22" fish that you arent catching enough 15-17" fish to keep for a lunch. Throw the spawners back and let them reproduce.

HEYO!
HEY JIM,A LITTLE GET TOGETHER SOUNDS GREAT!I'LL BRING THE BURGERS.WE CAN CHOW,TELL SOME FISH TALES AND THEN HEAD OUT TO YOUR SECRET HONEY HOLE!
BOY YOU GUYS SURE KNOW HOW TO GIVE A GUY THE FEVER! LOOK OUTSIDE --- YUK! I,M TIRED 0F HARD WATER.I GUESS I'LL BE OK,CAN'T WAIT TO TAKE THAT FIRST STEP INTO THE ROOT!
IN RESPONSE TO THE IDIOTS KEEPING LARGE FISH (WALLEYES REALLY?) I USED TO BE ONE! I GUESS YOU COULD CALL IT UNEDUCATED INSTEAD BUT I STILL WANT TO KICK MYSELF SOMETIMES FOR SETTING THAT EXAMPLE TO OTHERS. I'LL BRING A COUPLE BACK TO THE CAMPGROUND ON OCCASION JUST FOR A GENTLEMAN WHO CAN'T GET UM HIMSELF VERY GOOD ANYMORE BUT EVERYTHING ELSE GOES BACK. I FIGURE MY PUNISHMENT SHOULD BE TO RELEASE ALL FISH FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. I'M COUNTIN ON J.C. TO HAVE A RIVERFULL WAITING FOR ME WHEN MY HEART STOPS!
(I JUST HOPE ITS STILL A CHALLENGE)
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Hello all! In response to keeping that "walleye" i would have to say that you are all correct to a point. I know that releasing the spawners is what this is all about. Letting them grow and become what someday will become anothers trophy. But i do hold one exception to this rule. When you see that look on the face of a new fisherman you just got hooked on fishing. While in northern minnesota(right on the border) i was out during the 1st night of fishing for the 'eyes. Well not more than 20 min had passed and my little cousin said he "felt" something on his line. I told him ok wait it out and see if it will tug back a little. He agreed and started to pull in the little bit of slack he did have. At that very second his rod bent and his real began to howl. A smile 100 miles wide developed across his face. He fought that fish for around 10 min. No help from us(as he puts it)old farts, cause by god he can get this fish in! Well after we got it in and found that scale he had a nice 10lbs4oz walleye. Now i knew that he should release this fish. I knew it. But when you see that sparkle, or glimmer in that kids eye you know what has to be done. So later that night while he was sleeping i let that walleye go. Knowing that in the morining i had some explaining to do! But when i told him that this fish was a mother and she needed to go and help keep all the small fish in order, he said with a smile "hey i knew that, dad told me when i caught a fish that he told me i should let all the big ones go!" I was flabbergasted. He wanted to let it go but i had to tell him it "escaped" from the fishpen. Now i dont know about any of you but when a 12 year old kid tells me that we should let go all the big fish, let me tell you i will listen. If they know this so should all of us older fisherman that should by now know the true meaning of fishing. it aint always catching the fish, or even having a rod out in the water. It is all about knowing that you have changed the life of someone by introducing them to a new sport! ANd helping them bring in that fish that they will talk about for the rest of their lifes! And as for a reminder to him about that fish, all us adults had a picture of the fish blown up and framed for him. Every time i go over there, 1st thing he brings me up to his room and points to that walleye on the wall. He says "Look there, that fish is gonna make sure that i can come back and catch another just like her." "And when we go back, can u make sure that if i catch her again that i can let her go?" What a wonderful world we now live in! Fish on and remember that if a little child can remember to release the fish that are too big then a grown adult should be able to know when to let that wall hanger go. Take a picture, get measuerments, and call a taxidermist that does fiberglass mounts. IT will last longer and most likely be much more everlasting! Let the big ones go and you will ensure a brighter future for the future fisherman/women that are gonna come behind us!!! Let them know what the true feeling of catching a lunker is. And i think that it is up to us to help them learn the true meaning of letting that one huge one go. And letting it live to fight on another rod.

B.T.Fish,
Ya just made me remember a trip last spring that I went on, with a Great friend of mine. We hunt,fish& etc. together all the time. One day last spring, I was trying to fix my old fly-reel, and he came over to visit.He saw what I was doing & came right out & asked me if I'd take him trout fishing. I kinda looked at him funny & said,"What? Take ya trout fishin''? You've never been trout fishin'? You gotta be B*********' me! You know as well as I do that they're all around us! You could be on one in 20 minutes on a day like today. "(It was drizzly,& overcast.) He said,"I know there around here, my kids catch ém. I just never have been out to try myself."
Well friends, you know what I had to do. Here a great friend of mine, had somehow evaded tellin' me that he'd never been troutin', even tho' he'd heard me talk about it 100 times, or better. I HAD to put away my flyrod/reel & take this 47 yr.old troutin' !!
I took him to one of the little "hideyholes" i knew about around here from scoutin' around. I had gone by his place on the way & had him get the lightest spinning rod/reel setup that he had. When we got there , I ...listen to this... tied a #8 or 10 O'shaunessy hook on & baited it with a nitecrawler. (I'm not lying guys, I did this for a 47 yr.old who never been troutin';you really can ask him! Been fishin since he was kneehigh to a snake,he grew up in Ottertail Cnty,Mn. & I'm baiting the hook for him, çause I want him ta learn ta fish trout! But, Slingin' a fly was not in this picture.)
I told him just where to cast;just upstream into a pool, just above some rapids. And I proceded to bait my hook. I'm Dyin'if I'm Lyin'... I hadn't got the hook baited & he's saying, "I think I got one!!! I really think I got one!!" This guy played, & brought in a beautiful 14.5" Brownie on his first cast.In less than 30 seconds, on the first time he'd ever gone after trout!!!! Talk about a Smile! Mannnnn..... I'll never forget it! Think he kept it? You D*** right he did! & not to put on a wall either. He took that pretty thing home & ate it!(pictures WERE taken!) & ya know what I didn't mind in the least! wink.gif True story,fellow anglers! hope it doesn't bum ya out, But.... Man ... ya should been there!
Reminds me... Take a Kid fishin', let the kid fish & you watch & help! The kid'll never forget ya for it! Have a wonderful weekend!
I'm goin'ta bed & dream of fishin'! wink.gif

------------------
MnSportsman
;)

Hello everyone, I wanted to take the time to let you all know how much I am enjoying learning all these spots around Rochester.

I moved to Rochester about 5 years ago. And have been fishing for about the last 15 years. I grew up with a Dad who didn't do much fishing but taught me everything he could about the outdoors and shared his love of Bow hunting with me. As I grew older I found I wanted to extend the hunting season only in search of fish. It seemed to be the same to me, only I was able to turn them back. Kind of like being able to hunt the same Buck year after year, and being able to out smart him or him me.

Anyway I am a product of magazines, TV (fishing shows) and Videos. I fish on the average of 75-100 days a year. And learned most of everything I know by myself or from people like yourselves who would share. I enjoy fishing Bass Tournaments all over Minnesota. But love to be able to slip out for a afternoon of fun fishing close to home.

With the help of this board and the great guys posting, I can see many days on local waters that aren't as pressured as the bigger waters. I have fished some of these spots mentioned and look forward to finding more. But I have to say Thanks to all who have posted. It would have taken me years to find places this close. I commend you all for sharing.

As I mentioned above I do a lot of Bass fishing in and around our area. And if the board would like I would be glad to share the places and reports from the areas I fish, and from any of the lakes and rivers I visit. I consider local fishing anywhere in a couple hour drive. I love to chase bass but fish for everything that swims. Fresh and saltwater.

"One more thing." I have lived all over the country and fished from Mexico to Canada, but must say for quality of fish it is hard to beat Minnesota.

Sorry for Rambling on. But Thanks to all!!
GO FISH!!!

97nitro!
Share all you can and all you want! As you mentioned it is a complete bonus to have a place a guy can go for information etc. I think we need to top our hats to our beloved administrator(Rick) for this opportunity!! Please feel free to share what you have learned, noticed, experienced etc. I haven't met too many "fisherman" who would pass on the chance to catch any species of fish! Once your hooked.......!!!! PS I too know of some real sleeper Bass spots, large and small mouth!!!! Keep the rods bendin' !! Jim W

97Nitro-I also share your love in the sport of Bass fishing! Ever since i can remember i have tried to catch that elusive fish outta these southern minnesota waters.(Mainly out on the Ol' Zumbro River!) I have many many many holes that i fish everywhere around here that i know can and do produce a decent amount of fish. Of course like i said most of them do lie on the Zumbro. From what i know i think the largest caught outta the Zumbro was over 7lbs. And also from what i know the same guy caught 2 of them! They are supposed to be the largest bass caught outta the zumbro. A friend of mine and myself were out one day and throwing some Zoom 6' plastic lizards(June bug color, texas rigged) we had come to the conclusion that the spot we found was gonna hold some good fish(even though we had no idea!) So upon the 3rd or 4th cast of mine i did hook into one. I was thinking yes cause the old rod bent and i thought bucket mouth had taken the lizard. Well as my luck would have it i had it almost 2 feet from the boat and she shook her head and was gone. I was bummed. that was until my buddy i was fishing with hooked into what seemed was another huge one. He fought it almost 5 min. And when that fish jumped we both yelled in excitment! When the whole ordeal was over we had brought in a bass that weighed a little over 5lbs! Not monster size, but in out books back then off the zumbro river we had a trophy! Any time that you would like to know any new spots or anything about where to fish let me know! Cause i too share that fever!!!

I thought I'd throw a few hardwater spots on Lake Zumbro. Up by Sandy Point Supper Club, go up river & try along the East bank, just past the river bend above Sandy point. (Be careful up there, bring a buddy & check ice as you go!!)There's few "coves/indentations", to try. There are springs near these coves that attract a lot of fish.But, BE Careful!
Also, down toward the Dam, but across from it is Ponderosa Campground. we used to do well just to the West of the Campground , near an inlet that runs South & also across from the campground next to the Dam (West side) is a set of concrete "steps" that can be a good spot.(Access is had from Mac's Park place up hill.) I really want to stress being careful tho'! As you know, any reservior/running water area can be real hazardous! These spots are good anytime of the yearr. I have more spots on this lake ,but these are a place to start with fairly easy access. Good Luck!

------------------
MnSportsman
;)

Thanks to everyone listing their favorite spots. I've done most of my river fishing in the streams near Byron and Kasson, catching the little smallies. Now, with your help, I have new areas to explore.
I did want to tell you that two years ago I was wading the Zumbro down stream from Mac's Park place (closer to the green bridge) and one day I caught two muskies about 18 inches long on a Mepps spinner. I later picked up a northern that was slightly bigger and one smallie in the 14 inch range.
Now a question for you, has anyone canoe the Zumbro from the Rec Center in Rochester down to Sandy Point? How long is that trip? How is the fishing along the way?
Thanks again for the great tips!!!!

------------------
Big_Lew

[This message has been edited by Big_Lew (edited 02-04-2001).]

MN sportsman,

I don't know why my post is gone, and you will notice that your post is also gone! I did read it... I did speak with someone at the kennedy farm, i think the elder mrs. kennedy and she would not give permission in fact she stated they didn't even let their own family out there.
The current resident of the house believes there is whopper crappies in there and would love to give it a shot again if you want to check it out with me on any saturday or sunday and you can get permission.
Let me know...

frydaddy,
I will try to get ahold of Jimbo M. & a few others & see what I can do to get any of us in there. I tried earlier with 3 posts to send you a reply, so I'm not sure which one you read.(1st one I think) There are a few more ponds in the area which are good fishing too. The river that you crossed from "the river road" to Berne,Mn., is one of the places I mentioned above in an earlier post. [thought I'd at least give ya another reason to check out this area more... wink.gif ] I'll see what I can do about the Kennedy pond tho', & then "let's go fishin'" !!! grin.gif

------------------
MnSportsman
;)

Where is this spot you guys are talking about? I live right outside of burne. Are u talking the pond that is up on the hill right off of 265th ave? Let me know i do know many many of the people up around here. And i am sure that any permission that you need i can gain for you. Let me know where this spot is at and if you all need another fishing buddy! I would love to try a new spot. Just let me know!

we are talking about spot #3 posted by born to fish.......... i tried the spot a couple of weeks ago and mrs kennedy (elder) wouldn't give me permission. The lake is formed by a huge dike which looks like its been there for a while. I would love to fish it with anyone who can get permission. I have heard some stories of really big crappies and norther in there. If you can get permission i'll meet you any weekend.