• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Anyone know where to go for some catfish on the Zumbro, and what they bit on.
Thanks,

Ed

Jim W

Well, the few places I've tried for cats have been fairly consistent. I would look for the longer, slower moving runs/holes. Below the dam at Mac's park place is a good cat spot and under the bridge by Sandy point. Below the dam at silver lake use to be a great cat spot, but I haven't fished there for years. Also try where the middle and North branch of the Zumbro come together near Tielman. Everything is in there!!!

I've used everything from crawlers to chicken liver and the Berkley stink baits they all seem to work well. If you want to spend a little try purchasing some shrimp, yes shrimp. I was using the forementioned when here comes a long a gentleman that was using shrimp. His catch was noticeably larger in size and amount. I'm by no means a cat expert so I hope this helps some!!!! Keep the rods bendin'!!!!1 Jim W

Jim W

Say uffdapete, when you say plunge pool, are you referring to the main hole below the confluence of the North and middle branches of the Zumbro? It sounds like you had a good time though! Nice "browner", what a bonus that must have been!!! It's time to get my ice gear in order! Let's party hardwater!!! Keep the rods bendin' and the flags flying high!!!!!!! !!!!!!!Jim W

uffdapete

One last time on the Zumbro last Thursday proved to be a decent outing with a mixed bag including a 3 lb. pike , 25 smallmouth from 12-15", 1 14" sauger, and a 22" brown on Rapalas, and small jigs tipped with a crawler or minnow.
Will still fish the plunge pool, but no more trips in the canoe this year. The canoe is a good way to go to cover several productive spots, but forces you to fish a little too fast and and is too obvious this late with the gin clear water we had above the confluence. The water coming in from the north branch the confluence, on the other hand, was so muddy we shot down to Zumbro Falls and finished up below the plunge pool.

uffdapete

The locals, which I'm not, refer to the plunge pool as the big pool just below the dam and gates. The brown was a real unexpected treat. I have caught trout in the Zumbro before in the fall but not that far up. A friend just recently told me that he's caught browns in the plunge pool. They apparently migrate out of the small streams into the bigger water to winter much like they do in the Root. The brown was a personal record and about 10 years ago I also caught a 15" brook trout below the confluence with the north branch, which is my best brookie. So the Zumbro has been pretty good to me.
I haven't ice fished around here much but am looking forward to finding more spots, especially in the reserviors around Rochester.
I wish the fisherman in Olmsted County could organize a sportfishing club to work with the city, county and DNR to manage the reserviors, cause there is so much potential
and it would keep undue pressure off the streams. I fish Rainy Lake on the Canadian border quite a bit and the Rainy Lake Sportfishing club there has worked with the DNR to turn that lake into a one of the best kept secrets in the country in a matter of about 8 years.

Hello there fellow Rochester fishermen. I am a fairly young guy (22) but i have been fishing the Zumbro for about 13 years now. I have had the availability of a friend living right on the lake to my advantage. For the most part every summer when bass opener got under way we would be out there at 5am fishing until sun down. And, for what it turned out, we fished it and found our only "trophy" bass was a 5 pounder caught back by Kings Marine. But i do have a question for anyone that lives around this river and fishes it in the winter. First where would you recomend i fish for crappies around this time of year. As if i was going to go tommorrow. I am fairly familiar with most of the lake but if you could point me to "bigger" locations (a.g.>Ponderosa Campground, the dam that is near there, Fishermans Inn) that would help tons. And other questions i do have. Are there walleye in this river? I have heard no and yes. If there is where would you catch any under the ice? And here is one last question i do have on another lake. I have heard that there is excellent fishing on Chester Lake. The lake located in chester woods park. I have heard that there is a abundance of bluegill and bass. Would anyone know if this stands true? If so i am looking forward to fishing it! And one last question. What has seemed to be working out there for ice fishing? For all spieces. Let me know and thanks for reading this long question!!