• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Night fishing on Kab

Heading up to Kab next weekend for the first time. Can anyone tell me if it's worth staying on the lake after dark for night fishing?

I know on LOW it's not worth a hill of beans after dark, but I'd like to know about Kab.

Thanks

Timmer

TG,
I would say from my experience that fishing thru dusk for a half to hour past dark has been good. Try pulling some #7 raps along weed edges for eyes and pike. But, i have never spent much time into the night. I have thrown a slipbobber off the campsite on occasion, but find the nights better suited to a nice fire, cold beverage, decent cigar, and absorbing the sights and sounds of the lake from camp. This time of year you can get some unbelievable northern lights in the sky too.
About the only time that i have done some night fishing is around the bug hatch, when folks will go out and longline troll floating raps and the like over deep water.
Xplorer

Xplorer - When you're trolling raps along the weeds are you adding weight or bottom bouncing at all?

Doc,
Most times i try this along the weeds I am trolling with out weights. Some areas in Lost Bay and Moose bays can be OK. I only do this in the evenings.
The night trolling I've only tried a few times, over the deepwater areas SE of Namakan Island in July. Running out @150' of line with #11 raps.
Xplorer

We have had a lot of sucess night fishing on Kab over the years. just mark them before dark, light a lantern or 2 to be sure you get back to camp. Then using a lindy with a long snell and a glow floater, tip them with a couple different presentations to see what they like that night and throw em on the bottom. We have the best luck not far out from the rock we stay on

Utilityk,

Thanks for the tip. Would you mind sharing the location of the rock your referring to?

I've never been up on Kab before, and we're heading up for 4 days of fishing on Saturday. Fishing day and night - want to make the best of our quality time on the lake.

Thanks,

Tool.