• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

About those winds last week

Was up to Kab June 19-26, and those winds all week pretty much ruined the trip. We couldn't get out on the lake and go anywhere. Also, the majority of the Eyes we caught were 19-21 inches, and had to go back in the lake. We wouldn't mind that so much if we would have also found some in the slot. As it was, with four guys fishing, our keepers for the entire week were one 14" Eye, a 23" Eye, and 5 Saugers. Normally we would have put the 23" back in the lake, too, but we wanted to eat some fish. frown.gif We've fished Crane the last six years and have become accustomed to filling our bellies with a Walleye meal every day of the trip. Needless to say, we were a little disapointed with our experience on Kab.

So, are those winds typical on Kab this time of year? Is this an "off" year for fishing? Or is our experience pretty typical of Kab (lots of big fish, but hard to find slot fish). We really liked the resort we stayed at (Sandy Point), and liked what we saw of the lake, which consisted mainly of the Three Sisters Islands area. We'd like to give Kab another visit, however, if our experience is the norm, we may consider going back to Crane/Sand Point.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Duke

Duke, there is nothing normal about this year on Kab. We too have had a tough time with slot fish, but I know they are there. Don't feel bad about not eating fish, this was the first opener in over 15 years that our group didn't have a fish fry. So NO, this not a typical year. Things seem to be turning around in recent days. I truly believe that if you stick with it you will not be dissappointed in your overall results on Kab. A more normal year, if there is such a thing, would yield much more consistent results. There are a lot of different patterns working at any one time on the lake, so be versatile and just keep pounding the water. Then when you least expect it, BAM your in the middle of a slot fish bonanza and you have to slow down and count fish. It the nature of the sport. Good Luck

P.S. No the wind doesn't blow ALL the time.

Duke: Sachmo is right. This is a very unusual year. I was with a group of ten during the 19th to the 26th fishing out of the Ash River. We stay on the Ash because we can either fish Kab or Namakan very easy. We did not do well at all fishing Kab. But fishing spots on Namakan produced enough fish for our annual fish-fry. I just now came back home after fishing the West end of Kab for 2-1/2 days from Bittersweet to the Three Sisters and we were only able to keep 10 walleyes, 4 sauger, and 3 northerns for 5 people. The best producer was a gold jig and shiner minnow combo.

Duke,

I have been fishing Kab/Nam for 27 years now. My brothers and I usually get up there 3 to 8 times a year. We usually camp on one of the islands but we have also stayed in a number of resorts. I have never had a bad experience with any of the resorts; all of them try their best to make your stay enjoyable. However, mostly because of the wind, I have not enjoyed staying at a resort on Kab since the Park Service took over and shut down Whispering Pines Resort and Meadwood on the far east end of Kab.

In my experience, the winds and waves on Kab are usually tough to deal with. We have had entire vacations that we could not get out on the water for more than one or two days of a week long trip! The last 6 years now, we have opted to stay on the Ash River Trail. We like the Frontier the best because they are on the end of the "no wake" zone and the people are friendly and fun. No matter how windy it is, you can always get out and fish somewhere when you stay on the trail. The east end of Kab has some good fishing and Namakan produces some good fishing later in the year as well. Namakan is loaded with islands so the wind is never that bad. You can always get out of it if you want.

I just got back from my 3rd trip up there this year. I have had terrible fishing results the last two years. Everyone that I have talked to at the resorts have had terrible fishing as well. My friend that goes with me all the time even hired guide services three times in the past two years and each time I caught more fish by myself than he and the guides did, which isn't many I assure you.

Sure, you will find guys that get on a school and limit out but that is becoming a lot less frequent the last few years. It's too bad. We love the area but after our last trip (which was our seventh consecutive poor fishing trip in the last two years), we have decided to cancel the remaining 3 trips planned this year and check out some other places. I will keep watching for positive reports and hopefully it will someday become our go to spot again.

------------------

Hockey Guy,

I to have fished on Kab for many, many years, with good memories. I usually stayed on Pine Island and stayed at
wispering Pines the last year before the park took over.

I have seen what appears to be a drop in good fishing, with little knowledge as to why. This year I believe has been weather releated, with record cold temps that lingered and relentless winds that I deem as uncommon.

Last year was poor fishing after the opener and never did really get into full gear, and last winter fishing was nearly impossible do to slush. I don't know what normal is now for weather and temps.

My only salvation is the word of the DNR, and the success rate at Rainy Lake after their slot has been in effect and still remains.

The DNR continues to state that Kab/Nam has a bumper crop of slot fish, and they say Kab is a walleye factory and has a very healthy walleye population. Maybe the creel surveys being done this year will reflect some light on things.

Your sentiments however are being felt and shared my many fellow fisherman, I've spoke to a few other knowledgeable anglers about your subject matter and we may mount some pressure on the DNR to prove their therory rather than listen to their rhetoric.

Thanks for your input Hockey Guy, I hope if the weather lends itself towards normal there will be some good positve reports showing up on this site, guts

Just want to say that I really appreciate the feedback from everyone.

Guts - How can a guy get his hands the those creel survey results when they come out?

Duke, thanks for your info as well.
I know our DNR rep. for this area well, I will ask him that question. Incidentally, they may try to force a toolbox regulation at us suggesting that all Sm. Mouth Bass over 12" would have to be released, in an effort to make Kab. and the connecting lakes a trophy bass lake. Bass are not native to this body of water, and many people don't keep bass anyway. They are also quite a predator for fingerlings.

I say let Kab rest with its present experimental regulations before you implement more. This subject will come up this fall for meetings I've been told. guts