• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lower the limit to 4 and abolish the slot. We talked to the DNR doing a survey at the landing and out of 100 people surveyed, 7 had fish in the slot. It really pains me to throw back a limit of really nice fish, especially when it's a 6 hour drive and spend a lot of money at the resorts/gas stations etc...

We had a great time last weekend, nice weather and didnt catch a fish under 19", so I really can't complain but would've liked to at least tasted one of those nice walleyes.

Personally I don't mind a slot. I think it helps the fishery. Just from my personal experience on Crane Lake I believe it has helped a lot.
What I would like to see if they are going to have slots is a statewide slot for walleye, northern, etc. All walleyes 17" and under you can keep, or 19", or 15", or whatever. It would make it easy for the fisherman and the COs. It wouldn't matter what body of water you're on, if you hauled up a walleye you would know it would have to be under so many inches. No more studying the rule book and trying to look for the "special lakes" or "exceptions."

I'd like to see a lower limit (statewide) before a statewide slot. It seems to me the DNR is trying to make some of these lakes more catch & release based. I've heard rumbling about how the slot actually hurt lakes like Mille Lacs, I don't fish that lake so I don't know much about how it hurt the fishery but it seems to be the general consensus.

Hey guy here in South Dakota there is a slot limit on almost every lake and they r all different you have to early watch the fishing guide to know the regs for each lake it really stinks also they have change the limits some lakes have a 4 fish limit and others 3 and some as many as 10 its really stupid also most of our slot fish r 15 to 18 with one fish over 18 and some lake r no slots with just one fish over 20 it really cofusing so dont wish for a slot limit state wide unless they r going to make it the same for the whole state. Slot limits are really good if they are done the right way fishing here has been great ever since they have started it more fish and alot bigger fish

That's what I'm saying, loadster. If they must use slots then pick one and stick with it statewide. We here is MN have the same thing. Lake X is 13"-17", Lake Y is anything under 19.5", and Lake Z has no restrictions. I'm saying they should pick one slot, one set of dates for the seasons, one limit and stick with it.

I totally agree it would make it easier on everyone were r going to lake Kabetogama in June whats the scoop up there?

the pivoting word i see popping up here is the word...."easier"......the DNR's way of looking at it is the "best" solution to better fishing ,not necessarily "easier" for the general public...they carry the "hammer"....guess we just continue to abide by the rules...over all...even i have to agree that the walleye fishing is starting to get better on a statewide level.........guess we just need patience...good things ,as they say ,don't come "easy" ...jonny

I think the Slot up there has done wonders to the fishing. I have had a cabin up there for 14 years and the last couple of years we are catching more fish then ever and we are still not have any trouble catching fish in the slot. We are also catching a huge number of fish smaller then 13 which is a good sign. What i want to see the minnesota and canada come to an aggrement and have the canada and minnesota limit be 4 and have canada adopt the slot. I do my mojority of fishing on the canadain cause my cabin is in canada and 2 fish is just not enuf. So i think both sides need to compromise. Nobody should be mad about catching big fish because that were all the smaller fish come from and without the big fish there would be no fish!!

What do some of you locals think?

I know that if we didnt have a cabin up there, myself and a couple of my buddies that were up last weekend sure as hell wouldnt pay to stay at a resort to fish a lake that you cannot keep 80% of the fish you catch (or all the fish you catch in the case of the opener), especially when they are over 17" and under 23".

I've always thought that the slot was a good thing too, untill this year. At some point I think you have to change. Judging by the size of the fish caught this last weekend, in a couple years most of the fish you catch will be big 24"ers or whatever, but who wants to eat those? Great for C&R, but bad for the rest of us.

Also I think a statewide slot is a bad idea. Every lake has an abundace of certian size walleyes. What is good for one lake may not be good for another. Yes it would be easier for the fishermen and CO's, but that shouldnt be the main reason to do something like that.

Although i havnt been going up there as long as some of you (this will be my 9th year) i am definitly in favor of the slot.
The fishing has improved dramatically from when we first started camping.
I dont think you can base a decision on one outing. I've had 4-5 day trips where slots were very hard to find, but caught tons too small or too big. Ive also had trips where I've caught up to 43 slots in a day between my wife and I.
I think the temps may have been part of the lack of slots last weekend. I expect this year to be very good for slots, based on the number of 11.5-12.5" fish i caught last year (a couple hundred over the 15 days camping last summer) I also think you will see a good number of fish getting to the "over" size. Last year i caught a bunch of fish from 21-23, more than ever before.
My opinion (key here) is that Rainy, Winnie and Kab/Namakan are poster boys for the slot program. Mille Lacs is the whipping boy, due to the political nature of issues there, its slot program cannot be compared to the others here.
I can sympathize with not being able to keep fish, been there a couple times when the fishfry is lean. But its not like a person doesnt know the regs before they go. If some one doesnt want to deal with slots, go to a non-slot lake (LOTW,Cass etc)
Going to a 4 fish limit would bascially be the same as going back to a 6 fish limit, as studies show that so few folks catch over 4 fish in an outing as to be insignificant to reducing "take" numbers.
I like the fact that i can expect to go out on Kab/Nam and catch some nice fish every time. I always plan on one nice fishfry during our 4-5 day camp trip. Sometimes that is delayed a day cause i havnt got enough slots to eat, but i guess i dont mind having to work a little harder to get them, while i'm having to throw back those 17-23 inchers. My .02.
Xplorer

Farley, Just to let you know the slot was put in place to do two things. Improve the size of the fish caught, seems to be working, and improve the numbers of fish in the lake. That is working also. Just remember that if the slot wasn't here, the vast majority of those big fish wouldn't even be here. They would have been in fry pans a long time ago. I think it's a sad day when people who enjoy the outdoors and catch beautiful big fish and complain. The number of fish in the slot is good and the 98 and 01 year classes are huge. Also, the comment about money and staying and not keeping fish. Remember, that there are lots of fly in Canadian lakes that are strictly catch and release and people go there in big numbers and pay a lot of money to do that. They are enjoying fishing. Another one is the major migration to the Rainy River to catch fish and keep very few. Enjoy the days on the water and enjoy the fish that you catch. That's what it is all about. Fishkab

FishKab-
I know the purpose of the slot is to increase the numbers of fish in the lake but if the other purpose of the slot is to make the majority of the fish bigger, isnt it just turning the lake into a C&R lake, where everyone fishes for trophys? I for one hope it doesnt come to this. that would be a sad day for me. That is a rich man's sport and I am not a rich man. I spend my money on fishing stuff so as to get a meal every once in a while, if not more.

But I guess I trust the DNR to make the right decisions. I was glad to see them doing a survey at the landing.

Xplorer, you are right, you really can't base it on one weekend of fishing, but from what I saw and heard last weekend, over 80% of the fish caught were OVER the slot. I would like to see everyone who fishes up there from this site to post what size fish you caught for your entire trip. I'm guessing that they'll have close to the same results.

Also, you can say "If you don't like the slot, then fish a lake without a slot". My family has had a cabin on Kabetogama for 50 years, do you think I'm not going to fish that lake?

[This message has been edited by Farley (edited 05-19-2004).]

fishkab I agree with you 100%. During the opener my group of 8 guys caught over 200 fish for the weekend and everyone took home a limit of slot fish. And I bet most of the locals that know the spots to fish did pretty well themselves. So i feel the slot has done nothing but good. But i also talked to the DNR guy doing the survey and until well talked to him he had only marked down 8 slot fish all day so, I guess You just need to know how to fish the lakes.

I couldn't agree more with FishKab. I have been going to Kab for 35 years and worked my way through school as a dockboy there in the early and mid 80's. I remember the "glory" days of the early 80's when we never had a problem catching fish and, because we didn't know any better, kept everything we caught (up to our limit, of course). I also remember the late 80's when we would go four or five days without a keeper or sometimes even a bite. Ever since the slot, we have been catching better fish, more often. If that means that I have to throw a few back because they are out of the slot, so be it. If the trend continues, it won't be long before there are enough year classes available for there to be more slot fish available. The long-term health of Kabetogama and the fun of catching fish is more important to me that whether or not I bring a limit home.

Farley & others, You noticed the man doing the creel survey this weekend. The creel survey will be done for the this year and next. Those results will help with the decisions that will come at the end of the current slot regulations. The creel survey was done for the first two years of the slot as well. This slot reg. is up for review after the 2006 season. Then decisions will be made for the future, slot, no slot, or revise the slot, or leave it the same. Those will be interesting things to watch as the time comes. Good Luck Fishkab

I just came back from my 17th opener on Kab. and this was the first opener that we have never had a fish fry at our cabin for our group of eight guys. We averaged about 20 to 30 fish per day between four boats and ended the trip with a total of TWO slot fish. Yes fishing was tough for slot fish, BUT I never heard one compaint from the guys I was with about it. You see, when eight high school buddies can fish together for going on twenty years, the tradition is far more important than whether or not I eat fish for dinner. I have gone through the hay days, the dog days, and the rebirth, and I can honestly say it's a heck of a lot more fun throwing back big fish than catching no fish at all!!! I also know that just because we didn't find slot fish this weekend that they aren't there. I've made trips in the spring where we have never caught a small fish, but in the fall we catch nothing but those. This is an ever changing body of water and with each trip out there you only get a snap shot of what is going on. I say KEEP the SLOT, and adjust it only if it is a biologically sound decision.

Farley,
I really wasnt suggesting that you go somewhere else, you've got a long history there and have seen the good, bad and ugly. That was meant for those who visit once and complain after about having to throw back fish.
I have a friend up on Kab this week and will be interested to find out how he does. I remember early last year being alot of nonslot fish also for him.
What i meant was that you said that you were in favor of the slot until this year. I'm just saying give it a few trips and see how your numbers are later this year before deciding its not working. I'll be up for 5 days memorial weekend (my usual first trip each year), seeing if i will be able to put a fishfry together for saturday night. Hopefully some warmer weather will bring some of those slots up shallower so we can all enjoy what sounds like a good "slot-sized" year class.
I do think you may see more folks keeping some of those "over's" this year if slots are tough to come by. It will be interesting what kind of numbers the DNR puts together over the summer. Can a person find those when they're compiled?
Xplorer

PS: I'll be in a green lund prosport/90 honda over memorial weekend, camping somewhere on eastern Kab (hopefully!!). Stop and say Hey if ya see me.

I think the slot is a great thing. I spent two days at Kab for the operner and never caught a fish under 20 inches. This is what I term as excellent fishing. If not taking any fish to eat is the price I have to pay for big fish then I'm willing to skip a meal or two each year. In June, when the fish hit the reefs and the holes, there is no problem catching slot sized eaters. I think the lake is being well managed.

Xplorer;
I didnt take it that way, and my comment wasnt directed at you, I just saw that comment comming from someone sooner or later and wanted to put that to rest right away.

You should have good fishing up there Memorial weekend, the water should be plenty warm by then. Myself and one of the guys that came with last weekend are trying to find a way out of a golf tourney that weekend so we can make another trip up there that weekend but it doesnt look good so far since I'm the one who is organizing the tourney.

My final words on the subject of the slot: I agree that the slot brought the fishery back, there's no question about that, and I am glad the DNR did it that way, and they have done a good job managing it so far. I just think the slot should be aimed at the size fish that are most abundant in the fishery. Or maybee I just dont know of the "spots" that hold endless limits of slot fish like icefisher found. Icefisher, if you really brought home 48 fish last weekend, you need your own TV show or something. Were you guys fishing off an island? We drifted right past a group Saturday on the north side that were pulling out fish left and right.

Fish kab is right. The slot works. The first thing you have to get into your head when one throws a 21" eye back is if the slot was not there you would not have caught that fish. Someone would have all ready fryed it up. Another thing if you keep a fish they die 100% of the time, if you throw it back it probably will live, if you are gentle with it. I have been fishing up on kab since the early 80's, and seen the good bad and ugly. The fishing is as good now as it was in the mid 80's, except for one thing the fish are bigger. The first couple of years of the slot on kab it was tough but sometime we have to take a step back before we go a head. The slot worked on rainy, that was the dead sea 10 years ago. It is working here! The first couple of years of kab's slot limit it took a hour to get across the portage at kettle,the fishing was so good everyone wanted part of it,that is because they had to foresight to do something and the fishing, and put a slot there. Thanks to people like this we will have good fishing 20 years from now. Know one wants to go home empty handed, I would like to see the 13" limit go to 14" and maybe see the 23" to 28" or 30". We would have bigger fish. Good luck mac

------------------
minnesota mac

dear fishkab...My group has been on kab for the past 6 years. When the slot first came out, we were not very happy. But since that time we have realized what GOOD things the slot has produced. First of all we REALLY like taking pictures of 19-21" fish! Second of all,we REALLY<REALLY like catching them better! If our group has enough slots to eat that's great, if not, we really don't mind releasing nice big fish. Question... how are the 23" and above fish population wise? should'nt there be more of these bigger fish? thanks MURAIDER

I like the slot as well. Last year I caught one slot fish in five days of fishing and ate a meal of fish every day. Thank God for saugers!

Nothing ruins a great day of fishing like cleaning a bunch of fish!!

My group has been going to Kab for over 20 years. Along about 1993 Walleye started getting smaller and fewer. The slot came along and yes, numbers and size have increased. However, there is no way that a static slot will maintain the fishery. Has anyone caught a Perch lately? Not our group, not for 3 years. We just finished up 4 days with 6 guys. Caught 54 Wallys averaging 19.75 inches. We caught ONE 17". ONE.

So, if there's no Perch, no Wallys under 17", exactly what are the big fish going to eat? Kab doesn't have a large Cisco base, not many other forage fish for Mr. Wally to eat. Why do the Canucks protect 14" to 17" fish on so many lakes? I think NEXT YEAR is the time to adjust. Otherwise you're going to end up with 30" 6lb Wallys.

OreDog, what makes you think that there are no walleyes under 17". Like I said before, each trip you take is just a snap shot of the fishery. You can't possibly get a good idea of the total health of a lake without constant monitoring. A friend of mine fished a couple of deep points last weekend and caught over 40 fish with NOT ONE over 17". The slot fish are there, and when the time is right they WILL show up.

Oredog
Our group fished last week and caught about 6 perch and a number of small walleyes all in deeper water. Perhaps you weren't fishing deep enough. We had 10 in the slot.

Oredog, the year classes of 1998 and 2001 are large classes. 2001 is the largest year class produced in years. This will lead to lots and lots of keepers in the 13-17 range. Guided a trip yesterday and we limited on 13-17 eyes and saugers with several jumbo perch. Started fishing at 8 and were headed home at 11:30.. The fish are there. Water is starting to warm so things will change now. Keep looking and you will find fish. Fiskkab