• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
RB

Portage to Little Trout from Sand Point

RB

Has anyone fished Little Trout lake? Did you catch anything? I was thinking about going in there this spring to check it out. I am wondering how rough the portage is.

hop sing

i havnt been - but a bud whos takin me in there this spring did go in there about 5 years ago. the portage (im told) was very easy then. they caught a couple small norhterns and a smallie. they didnt stay in there but an hour or so. this year we are gonna give it a few hours and fish for smallies. goin in there may 28-june 2. will get back to ya. when ya goin in there?
we are also lookin at trekin into kemp or solo lakes north of the namakan narrows on canada soil. can you say adventure???

RB

The reason I ask is the MN DNR website's lake survey says there are lake trout in there. I will be up there the same weekend as you. We normally camp somewhere around blind pig island on namakan. I thought it would be fun to check out little trout, if its worth it. Maybe I'll run into ya. If not let me know how you did.

hop sing

same weekend cool! we have stayed out on my and your island before but never blind pig. theres some good fishin right around those islands.. we have stayed at one of the sites by the south end of the namakan narrows or in grassy bay.not sure yet this year. i WILL be around blind pig quite a bit this year so ill stop in and say hi and share fishing secrets. if you see a couple guys in float tubes fishing in little trout that will be glen and myself. if ya wanna exchange e mail addys we can swap hot spots.

RB

Go ahead and shoot me an email. @hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by RB (edited 05-07-2004).]

hop sing

e mails got returned.
addy ok?

RB

That's weird. That is my email address and it has been working fine. You can try my other [email protected] Otherwise post yours if you don't mind.

[This message has been edited by RB (edited 05-07-2004).]

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wanderer
      Super gorgeous gill!
    • ANYFISH2
      Just heads up, if you haven't already heard.  Camp Ripley youth hunt has been cancelled for 2020.  Public hunts will not have a lottery, information and purchase dates will be released in August.  This allows for a easier cancelation of the hunts.   Thanks Covid.
    • ANYFISH2
      My new personal best for length 10 3/4".
    • ANYFISH2
      Just got back from vacation to the area.  Fishing was good.  Water temps are higher than I have experienced before in the area upper 70 to low eighty's in the mornings with them rising in the mid heat on the surface. We fishes mostly smaller bodies of water and I was very surprised at how shallow we found most fish.   The walleye bite was fantastic in 10-16ft of water.  Almost all fish were relating to the deep weed edge.  Northern milfoil was #1 and cabbage #2 as far as cover preference.  Cabbage relating fish were caught with spinners long lined with 1/4oz bullet sinkers pulled at .7 to .9 mph.  Milfoil fish were caught with slip bobbers.  Another surprise with these fish was that 70% or so we're caught between noon and 5 pm.   Bluegills are located in similar areas.  Some what shallower.  Leeches under a bobber or Lindy rigs caught most of the gills.  Somedays they were more difficult to find then others but when you found them, you caught very nice fish.   Bass fishing usually is low on our target species, however we did find a number of very nice fish relating to offshore bait clusters in deeper water, 20 to 22 ft.  These fish were turned by jig worms or drop shot rigs, electronics were key here.  Reed beds in shallow is where the bulk of our shallow bass showed.   Northern pike were few this past week, the ones we caught were smaller and bite on crawler harnesses fishing for walleye.    
    • Rick
      Great info @Graham Smith   Thanks.
    • GeluNumber1
      Try lakes with motor restrictions. Fewer recreational boaters to dodge, and less fishing pressure as well. Here is a list of waterbodies in the state with restrictions by county: https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/boatwater/local_regs.pdf
    • Graham Smith
      I’ve fished this lake one week a year, at the end of July, for the last 8 years.  We stay at Timber Bay Lodge and I have fished the SE part of the lake, all the way up to the Stony River. I almost solely target walleye.  I say almost because I will fish bass or northern at times for fun.  I’ve yet to target crappie on this lake and this year will be the first. I’ve caught a handful of big crappie by accident on this lake.  I’ve heard they are in there.  For walleye, I’ve typically used Lindy Rig with crawler or leech, and Jighead with a minnow. I typically tie a 3-5 ft leader, red hook, gold bead, 1/4 oz weight. If the wind and waves kick up I’ll use 1/2 ounce weight.   I’ve often used a worm harness with gold or silver spinner too.  Sometime I’ll throw crankbaits and that can the ticket. If I’m covering a flat I’ll use lindys or harnesses, if I’m hitting specific points and structures I’ll use a jighead.  I’ve had the best luck in 8ft to 14ft but every year is different.  For the record, I’ve never caught a huge walleye on this lake.  I’ve caught countless eaters.  But I’ve yet to connect with many big ones.  I know they are in there.  It seems like each year the fish are hot in June to mid July.  Since we go at the end of July, we can be in the doldrums of Summer, so perhaps this is why Ive missed many big ones.  There’s also a chance I’m targeting the wrong areas.  Who knows.  As for areas, I’ll typically target shorelines that have been hit by the wind for the day, or previous day.  If I work an area for 15-20 min with little results, move on.  I’ve experienced the fish stacking up on very specific points before too.  If a point is holding fish, don’t be afraid to drift a small area and use your motor to return to the starting point, over and over.  I’ve done this many times and limited out in an hour.  One thing I have noticed is that the walleyes don’t seem to be active in the early morning.  In fact, the best action I’ve seen has been 10am to 1pm, and 6pm to 9pm.  I’ve never fished after dark. I have fished as early as 6 am on this lake and do not connect with the walleyes.  I’m guessing it’s due to the dark water and low visibility.  I hope this has been helpful and welcome other advice.  If anyone would like to add or refute, feel free.  This has been my experience on this lake and I’m welcome to hear other tactics,  I’d also love some advice on the crappie.  Where and what time of day?  Best of luck on your trip.
    • Poutwhacker
      We're heading to the East side of Rainy, boat camping next week. Just curious if the walleyes are on the reefs and what baits are being used? Any updates would be appreciated.
    • Trump 2020
      Muskies-  Any advice on a good place to stay on Rainy? Was supposed to stay on Canadian side this week and obviously didn’t go. So now I am trying to put together a quick trip with my Dad on MN side maybe later this month instead...
    • james_walleye
      It was in about 12 feet of water I estimated. 100 feet or so I'd say off shore. I kick myself....I wanted to get the pic so bad I didn't hit a waypoint. But it would be easy to find again. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.