• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
stick

Namakan Narrows Lodge Memories

stick

Seeing the other post about some nostalgia on Kabetogama, I thought I'd see if anybody remembers or has any stories about Namakan Narrows Lodge. My grandparents built and ran it along with my parents when I was growing up until the park forced us out in the early to mid 70s. I have fond memories in my youth and was wondering if anybody out there has any memories or stories to share. I'd love to hear them.

I recently got back there and walked the grounds (Namakan end of Namakan Narrows) and it brought back many great memories.

------------------
May your house always smell like fish...

king pout

Stick - I have no memories or stories of my own but have heard many from my father, Wally. He worked there for a number of summers and has many great memories, stories, and pictures about the Narrows Lodge, including some video footage. The Narrows sounds like a great resort - I always like hearing about those times and way of life in the north woods. I'm sure you know Floyd as well - I've heard many great things about Floyd and his knowledge of the area. If fact, I had the privilage of meeting and breifly fishing with him a few summers back and very much enjoyed this! We still have our cabin on the east side of the island heading NE out of the narrows - cabin fever is setting pretty bad for me! Hopefully this year we will have some water to work with, last year was a little slight in that category.

[This message has been edited by king pout (edited 02-23-2004).]

[This message has been edited by king pout (edited 03-08-2004).]

stick

Great to hear your reply. I don't have many memories of the lodge other than being there. I was about 3-4 when the park "received it" from us. I will mention Wally's name to my parents and see if they remember him (I'm sure they will). I live on the north side of the cities, and would love to see your pix sometime. I'd like to get back up there this summer, too. I am planning on staying at Berger's sometime since they slid some of the cabins over the ice to their resort. I will let you know what my folks say about Wally. Floyd's name is familiar to me. I hear stories about how he was a real woodsman. He used to shoot the nearby rapids by standing on the boat floor barefoot and "feeling" where to go with his feet.

Email me sometime at:
jgrahek@iae-online.com

------------------
May your house always smell like fish...

[This message has been edited by stick (edited 02-26-2004).]

shopouts

My age was in single digits the first time that we stayed with Mel, Violet, and Virginia Drew at the Namakan Narrows Lodge. I think that was in 1960. My father first stayed their in the late fortys, when Mel's dad was there. The last time I was there I was 15, in August 1968. I still have dreams about it.

I have photos of Mel and Violet, Duane, Sally and Mrs. Larue and Professor Savodny and his ex. I have photos of the sturgeon that Tora[?] gave us when we watched her and Alan haul in nets one morning. I also have copies of several lodge brochures. I will be happy to link you to them if you are interested.

I remember Floyd. He had to maintain a tent as his "residence" on the Canadian side.

I do not remeber who Wally was. I remember Tom. I remember the guy who Mel fired in 1965[?], but not his name. I remember Kathy Pachonik.

John O.

shopouts

PS my name is Olsen from Chicagoland. My folks' were Connie and Ray. Virginia wrote to us after Mel died on the lake.

stick

Great to see your post. I spoke with my mom this evening and she remembers your family and said that you are wonderful people. I'd love to see what you have for photos, brochures, or just plain conversation. Drop me an email at jgrahek898-at-msn-dot-com.