• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How is the fishing in early june??

Northern Boy,

I too will be heading up there the first week in June. Usually I go in the middle of June but I'm getting a little sick of hitting the massive mayfly hatch every year. From what I've heard, and maybe some of the seasoned Kab vets can add their two cents, the fishing is quite good but the action is going to be shallow. I mean maybe as shallow as a couple feet. I was there one year the second week in June after a late ice out and we caught all of our fish in 4-6' of water in the weeds. Get one of those Fishing Hot Spot maps of the lake and it'll show a few of the early spots.

Maybe we'll run into each other up there. I'll be in a boat with another guy that looks like he hasn't showered for four days.

Chucky C

Hey Northernboy and chucky. We were up their last year the weekend after mem. weekend. Fishing was great with alot of fish over the slot with a few over 24" largest being just over 27" all were released. Check out the lake level post for some early fishing spots. Going up this year from June 3rd thru the 6th. Times just not going fast enough.

------------------
Marble-Eyes - They're not for suckers!!!

Northernboy, I have fished and guided on Kab for many years. The time period that you are looking at, early June, is some of the best of the year. Generally lots of fish, lots over the slot, lots of eaters, and lots of fun. Generally shallow water and fish the windy shorelines. Fishkab PS You'll love it here, a great lake.

I will also say that the first week of June is the time to fish Kab. My buddies and I have made it an annual event and always catch lots of fish. Often times our problem is not having enough film in the camara and going hungry because a good bunch of the fish are over the slot!! An added bonus is that time period is usually before the big mosquito and fly hatches!

Hope I don't see you in my spots this year!!

MJ

Hello Guys,
I am new to this site but I am a regular on the Cass Lake Chain site. I have a question that is similiar to this topic. One of my accounts is going up to Kab the first two weeks of June and he has never fished it before. A co worker of mine has fished Kab for the past 52 years and says that they use a lot of crankbaits and troll. Bomber A #5 and 7 gold deep divers. He says that you can catch a boat full of eyes every day but the trick is getting the legal ones.

What is the slot rule and any info would be helpful on this lake. I will pass it along to him. Also, any guides that would like to chime in, he may give you a call for early June.

Our family has been going up to Cass Lake for 18 years so we are kinda set in our ways on our vacation.

Any help out there for a boy from the Windy City? Come on, you got to help out a poor misguided White Sox fan. The Twinkies will probably pound them again this year so pulling a few eyes from the water is our only salvation :-)

Thanks,
Curt

WCWH
The slot on this lake is a harvest slot, that being 13"-17" and one over 23" with a possesion limit of 6. Note: the slot does not apply to sauger, but sauger does count as part of the limit.

Early June fishing is often best when using live bait, if fish aren't schooled up well, then there is nothing to lose by trolling. It is difficult to troll this lake as a newcomer because of the fast changing structure. A good map and an accurate depth finder is a must.

A spare prop for a first time troller will probably be needed if they intend to fish where the fish are.

Bombers are a great crank bait, and rapalas, both husky jerks, and shad raps are maybe even better. SR 8&9s or shallow SRR's do well. Casting shorelines outside the weeds can be deadly for the eyes at that time. Later in the season, floating raps F14's trolled behind a lindy slip sinker or bottom bouncer around the reefs is a great method to fish as the water warms up. Have your buddy watch the posts, and maybe fishkab can add a little advice on the subject. Good fishin, guts <{{{{{><

Thanks for the tip guts.
I will past the info along to my buddy. I stick to Cass Lake and Brian at First Choice is my personal guide every year, I wouldn't use anybody else on Cass. He runs a great forum here too. I tell you, a good guide is worth his weight in walleye! I have used others in the past but they were not as friendly or as willing to share their expertise. I have been in sales all my life and I can tell all you guides out there, the more you give the more you get. I have turned on at least a half dozen or more people to Brian and I can urge all guides to do the same. Catching fish is a bonus and some years are always better than others ( 2003 was a dandy, my personal best ) but the friendly attitude and willingness to share your knowledge is what will grow your business. You guys have a dream job, I would love to be able to do what you do. Keep up the good work guys!
Curt