• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where to go?

Hey guts, we chanced our plans a bit. We are now coming up Feb. 13-16. One of the guys coming up is a vet and has a convention he has to attend to keep up his lic. req. the previous weekend. I guess the plan is to go into Kabetogama, and get the bait we need, and find a place to get onto the lake from there. My questions to you or anyone who would know are, where is the best place to get onto the lake from there. At a public access or is there any resorts there that will let you get on (willing to pay a fee if necess.) My second is are there plowed roads on the lake. We will have two rigs with us one with a 14' enclosed trailer with the house and gear and another with a trailer with sleds and atv. And is there room to park the rigs and still keep them out of the way. The guys we are going with don't tend to prepare to much and I just want to have some kind of plan so we don't go in blind. Like I said before none of us have fished up there during the winter. Dad has during the summer out of Sandy Point Lodge, but that was years ago. And last but not least do you have any Idea where the fish might be? Like the eyes, and wouldn't mind catching some crappie as well. Thanks to any one who can help. Oh where would be the best place to get bait in Kabetogama if there is? Thanks again

Short Hair Guy,
The best fishing will be in the Kab/Nam area or in Namakan. The Ash River Visitor center will be your logical place to drive onto the ice from.

They do not plow roads on Kabetogama or Namakan, however at this time there is very little snow. If we get alot of snow, there should be adequate trails made by other vechiles for you to get around.

The best known or most reliable fishing spot for that time will be in a very close proximity to the launch/landing, there is normally plenty of area for vechicles.

The Ash River mouth into Kab. and a nearby bay should produce eyes, sauger, perch and quite possible crappies. The bite seems to totally depend on weather. Feel free to check back shortly before yu head up this way, and I'll see whats new then. guts

Hey guts thanks again. What bay would you be talking about? Blind Ash or Rudder? not sure. I'll post another before we come up. Do you work in the area as well? I am a cement guy off for the winter so I spend a lot of time on the site. Sure is a great site. Lots of info. Thanks

Short Hair,
Good question, about Blind Ash, that is or may still be when you come up a good spot for Pike by tip-ups.
Walleye and crappie fishing your best shot at this time is at the mouth of the Ash River narrows where it meets Kab and right around the point going East towards the snowmobile portage. The other spot I believe I mentioned is directly North of the Ash River visitor center around the mouth of Lost Lake out in the main body of water.
Rudder Bay has potential but its more travel and I'm not certain about the safety there for cars and trucks, guts <{{{{{><

Hey guts thanks again!! Just one more question then I will leave you alone until I get closer to the 11th. I have heard that the Gateway General store is a good place to get bait, I was wondering where the store is in proximity to the turn off to the Ash River Visitors Center? If it is to far out of the way where would be a good place to stop and get bait? We would be coming up through Virginia. Sorry to keep pestereing you.
Shorthair Guy

The general store is about 2-4 miles past the turn off for the ash river visitor's center, I can't remember exact miles, but it is not very far.

Another good place to stop for bait is the Cold Spring store. They are just past mile marker 130 on the right hand side. It is about 6 miles before the turn-off to Ash River.

Short Hair
The gateway general store is 3 miles beyond the Ash River turnoff, they have a large variety of bait and the hours are 7-7, 7 days a week.
Cold Springs is a good stop, but they have very irregular hours. Gateway can air bag the bait if necessary and they have lots of tackle as well as other goods.

GOOD LUCK!! guts <}}}}><