• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crane Lake

I was wondering about the ice/snow conditions on Crane Lake. ( I hope it's all right to ask here. There is no forum for Crane.)

Is there enough ice (and little snow) to drive to the north end? I know they don't plow a road to that side of the lake. Last year we drove to our cabin with no problem because there was very little snow. Just wondering what it's like now. We are heading that way on Saturday. Any info would be great. Thanks!!!

89 Bronco

The ice thickness throughout the lakes here averages 20" plus, Crane would be no exception. There is a minimal snow cover, 1" to 3" depending on wind, we have no storms in the near future. Travel at your own risk of course, and keep a watchful eye open for pressure ridges if it warms up. We have been in a real deep freeze for 4 days now with not much let up in site.

Crane Lake folks seem to wander on this site in the summer when there is more activity.

Good luck, guts <}}}}}}><

Thanks Guts.
I have another question about Crane. Do people fish it in the winter very much? During the times I do get to go in the winter, I don't see much fishing traffic. A lot of snowmobiles, but not a whole lot of anything else. Do people just skip it and go to Kab and Namakan because the fishing there is so much better? I do well on Crane in the summer for northerns, smallies, and walleyes. I can't imagine the fish disappear in the winter. Is there someone specific on Crane I could ask. Thanks again for any information and for taking the time. It is appreciated!
89Bronco

Bronco,
I can't really answer your question, but I have an e-mail address for you. The fellow is Butch Eggen, he is a guide on Crane, and a resort owner with excellent credentials, I'm sure he can help you out. The address is [email protected]
Good luck, guts <{{{{{{><