• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

spring fishing on kab

I've fished Namakan in the fall many times and have had some great fishing, but this year I want to come up to Voyeugers for a spring trip and it occures to me I don't know much about spring fishing patterns up there.

Is it true as I have been told that the spring bite is better on Kabatogama than on Namakin?

Any advice anyone is will to share regarding spring locations, presentations, and depth for Kabatogama or Namakan for that matter sure would be helpful.

My plan right now is to come up the last week in May, but my schedule is flexable. This crazy spring weather we've had has me wondering when is the best time.

I'll be anxious to hear your opener reports.

jks
I tend to fish Kab more so in the spring and Namakan in mid summer to fall.
I am heading up to the Ash river area Monday for 5 days and I will post a report when I get back.
Dan

jks
We fished the east end of Kabby monday thru thursday. The fish were at the tail end of the spawn. Many of males were still milking and a couple of the females dropping eggs. The daytime fishing was best in 12 - 15 ft. Four of us boated 70 walleyes 35 of which were over the slot. We used rainbow minnows and lindy style rigs. Hope that helps. Iam heading back next week and can't wait.
Dan

npike77,
Rainbow minnows are similar in size and shape to fathead minnows. The difference is that they come in shades of green and pink to red. They survive well are very lively. Most bait shops carry them.
Dan

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Rainbow chub. smile.gif

rain bow chubsare actually a "Dace".....a variety of minnow all bye itself......many different types of daces out there......tell tale markings of the dace are....conspicuous dark lateral linenext to that ..a bright red line....then a yellow line......fading into a yellowish white under the belly......most common in minnesota is the blacknosed dace...great for walleyes and crappies.....they are hardy minnows and keep well in the minnow bucket.....hope this helps