• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kabetogama fishing

I,m six weeks away from a fishing trip to Kabetogama. Hows the fishing? Wil be going after walleye, crappie, and some trophy pike, anything specific type of tackle that I should bring or stock up on that is a good solid performer during the first week of august?

You should also try Sandpoint lake and Crane lake all the lakes are connected up there
The fishing is awsome on all the lakes in the chain
the best bets for fishing lures are deep diving baits such as reef runners in a brown color, use big lures,and trolling at 3-4mph
have had alot of success doing so.
try some mid lake structure on sand point where upper and lower sandpoint come togather
have caught some huge fish in that area
well have a good trip and who knows ya might run into me up there I'm up there as much as poss. tight lines Speedtroller

66 mac
from rocky point it is approx 20-miles by water to namakan, and about 40 miles to sand point
you can get there easily with the 25 h.p. just bring more fuel, cuz there are no fuel stops other than ash river and kettle falls.

Staying at Rocky Point 1st week of August
To Long of a haul to pull own boat with these Gas Prices going out of control. So the 4 of us are renting 2 boats with 25 hp
motors. How long do you estimate it'll take to go to Nam or Sand Point on one of these boats or would you not suggest it?

• 1 year later...

66Mac

With 25 hp it might take you 45 to get to the west side of Nam and at least 1:30 to get to sandpoint provided you are lucky enough to get smooth water. Once in Nam your best landmark is a little gap between, if my memory serves me correctly, my island and your island. Its the only place that you can see straight through to the far shore and it is quite obvious. Heading for that may save you some time as opposed to simply meandering between nav bouys. This is not to say that you shouldnt pass on the proper side of the nav bouys though. Take at least one extra tank of fuel if going to Sandpoint. I have taken a thirty horse to Nam and back on one tank but better safe than sorry no doubt. Good luck - hope this helped.

I agree with Bob_O if you want to take a day trip definately go over to Rainy Lake. In my opinion all of the fishing that you could ever want, you will find in Kab. The big pike should just start to really be turning on and the walleye fishing is good year round. It's just a matter of locating a pattern and then sticking with it. Start in about 20 feet and move out until you find them. Questions e-mail me.

Paul

Boating over 60 miles (one way) with a 25 hp just to get to some potentially better fish doesn't seem like a quality fishing experience. There is good fishing on Kabetogama, maybe somewhat better in Namakon in August. Try fishing some of the narrow sections leading from the west end of Namakon to Kettle Falls. If you want to take a trip, maybe consider taking the lift service around the Kettle Falls to fish the middle section of Rainy Lake. Less crowded with excellent fishing!

I heard they are going to keep the water level up on Kab this year! Plus I just heard that the bite has been extremely slow? ANy word?

Hey, Jim. I've heard just the opposite. I talked to a guy from the park and he said he heard they were reallly snapping. I was there on Monday night. It was really windy, but I was still able to catch some fish. Marked fish every spot I went, but it was tough to stay on them due to the wind. Was going to go again last night, but ended up stripping out the female part of the spark plug hole in my motor. Need to get it fixed before they quit biting on Kab.

Jim W., I fished Kab in May and early June and has good success each trip. I target the deeper bite, 25 - 35 feet. Plenty of slot fish, some over and last trip quite a few under. I will be on the lake this next weekend also, leeches and/or crawlers on a long snell will be the ticket.

Thanks for the info! PLEASE remember to give us a report! Inguiring minds NEED to kow!!!!! Keep the rods bendin'!!! Jim W

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have a report for you Monday- My buddy has been up there for a week. This time of year we always do really well fishing out around the potato island area. Let you know in a couple days.

Here you go guys, my buddy got back saturday and said the fishing was fantastic, had a hard time catching anything small enough to keep. their biggest was a 7# 29" caught in 8 foot of water in the weeds. Caught 75% of the fish on a jig and crawler. Nothing on minnows, many on leeches. Most of the nice fish caught were on the weeds in the middle of the day, morning and evening bites were slow- due to the cold weather last week up there during the night? They mainly fished from the Ash River and west of there. Hopefully this helps out anyone heading out this week. Also the smallmouth bite was very good , consistent 2# plusfish fishing around the islands.

Basser,

Hey thank you for the report! I'm sure other fisherman out there were glad to hear a report from Kabby as well. I am fishing Kabby the second weekend of September, looking forward to some fishin' fun!

I have heard that the walleyes are often found in the weeds in Kabby! I have a friend who fishes the Ash river often, catching dads generally fairly shallow!
Keep the info coming in boys and girls!!
Jim W

if you go to sand point there is also gas available at sand point lodge on sand point west of canadian customs on the canadian side. as for kab if you are going to rocky point dont pass up the area right in front of you have gotten good eyes off of rock hump rite in front of rocky point. big pike on top water prop baits out at grassy islands. also good walleye on saddle behind island between rocky point and chief woodenfrog beach. good luck let me know how you do.i will be up there at the same time but at a scout camp off of sand point lake. you canemail at [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

Calvinb.
Just returned from the Ash River area. We fished Namakan lake. Had very good fishing for walleyes. Found most fish in the 24 to 28 ft range. The best bait were crawlers on lindy rigs.
Where are you staying on the Ash River?
Dusty