• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Muskies on Green!!!

Is there anybody out there that has caught a lunge on Green. 5-24-03 I c&r'd a 32 incher on the northwest side of Hultgrens bar on a #9 P SSR we were trolling the shallow edge of the deep weeds and I kicked the boat in neutral and let her drift over the deep water to see if we could mark any fish. I was speed reeling to get turned aroun for another pass and Wham!!! hit in over 50 feet of water. I had just got done telling my fishing partner about the 22 incher I caught the year before on the west side imagine that. I've seen a few pictures a J's bait on his lap-top and during a liscense check last year CO Johanson told me one of his buddies ht one in front of the old mill. When I took a picture of the 22 incher to the fisheries office in Spicer the must have thought I was some kind of moron because he played it off like it "might be a muskie" I told him no it is a Skie and he beat around the bush about how they may have gotten in there let's just call it operator error. How does that saying go "Build it and they will come". I know of a few tuesday night league fishermen that would have a kitten if a 50 incher woofed a dink on the end of their line. Hang on to your G-Loomis'!!!

oh yeah!! Do a search on this forum for Green lake and muskies. You should find some nice heated discussions about the Grey Ghost in our local waters. They are here - just not in great number..
not yet..
cast, cast, cast
esox!!!

I think last year I heard of about 3 or 4 Muskies caught in Green. Its not really that uncommon to hear reports like that now.

I just wish I could lash into one of them big hawgs!

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

My cousin caught a 39" Muskie several falls ago off the north side of Green. (C&R) Your chances of getting a monster depends sometimes on stupid luck. My better half & I have only caught two in over 30 years of fishing, both were in less that 5' of water while night trolling for "eyes". Both were 48" to 50" in lenght (C&R) Your best & closest chance is Mille Lacs.

I've seen pictures of Green Lake Muskies. However they were still in the infancy stages.

yep they are there and getting bigger each year they just love crappie and sunfish castindad

There was an article in the paper about a guy fishing in nest lake catching a big muskie to I think some of them may have come from the hatchery in New London. I wish they would "accidentally" stock more. What a blast!

I was out fishing on Nest the day that guy caught that huge muskie. I even saw that boat in town. It was a huge guide or pro fishing boat.

I remember seeing pictures of that muskie and it was a dandy! Each year by one of the resorts you always hear of someone catching a muskie or seeing one. So there is more than just a few out there, still not enough to actually target them while fishing.

BTW Nest not only has muskies in it, it also has some catfish, and even a very slim amount of cisco (or tubilee something like that). I know they have tubilee or whatever b/c I caught one once while fishing for crappies in the spring. It was about 6" long and healthy. And believe it or not I saw a huge catfish come to the surface once while I was trolling, that was a sight to see.
Other than that I know of no other secret species out there.

------------------

[This message has been edited by LocalGuide (edited 04-20-2004).]

Speaking of tullibees, does anyone fish for the tullibees on green lake? I have often wonder if guys go for them. The muskies I also think are from the hatchery in New London. If the DNR stocks it the lake gets shutdown for spearing. Unlike the muskies that were put in Norway lake years ago by lake group.

Just because they stock Muskies does not mean they ban spearing. Leech, Bemidji, Plantangenette, Alexander, and others all have been stocked and spearing is still allowed.

Yes, I also think that some of the fish did come from the "infamous" muskie pond goof-up (for those that do not know the story, the hatchery accidentally drained the muskie stock pond thinking it was an empty one, sending thousands of ski down the Crow...or so the rumor goes) and It could be possible for some to make it through the spillway into Green. I would also be willing to bet that some are a result of illegal stocking, but unlikely since it is quite a ways to the nearest muskie water and the fish would get pretty beat up in a livewell enroute.

As far as tulibees go, I remember people out netting them years ago during late October/November. Not sure if anyone still does that or not.

I caught a very small muskie on Green about 7 or 8 years ago. My grandparents have a cabin on the west side and I caught the fish while I was casting a rapala off of the dock. I saw a 10lb northern washed up on shore this spring, pretty sad to see.

Yes, Fish do die of natural causes and from hooks from time to time. I have some pictures of myself pulling a ~12 LB pike out of an area lake that had deceased. While I was lifting it out a ~6 LB carp that was slightly digested fell out of its belly. I think this gready fish choaked to death.

Wish I had had the opportunity to bring this one in on a line.

[This message has been edited by Rino (edited 04-28-2004).]

• 2 weeks later...

Was on Green on Saturday afternoon by the outlet. I had on a small jig trying to get some panfish. i cast up to the reed edge and had a small (upper 20 to low 30 inch) muskie follow me in. Was beautiful to see! I only wish we could get a lake stocked with them around here.

Esoxcop, did your small jig happen to be one of those small 1 OZ Jigs, or maybe a bucktail? hahaha I have been wondering for years why they do not put muskies in any of the larger lakes that are not in the metro. It seems like they will put them into a 500 acre lake that is in the cities but when you have a 5000 plus acre lake out of the metro they wont touch it. friendly

Trout too! I have e-mailed the DNR about stocking Trout and Muskies in several lakes in the area and they do not seam receptive to the Idea at all. One lake that screams trout to me is long lake just north of New London. It's deep and cold

I dont really think long lake is suited for trout. Id say green lake has it all.
Green has a good chance at muskies and rainbows in it. It has about 3 deep spots around and over 80'.
I'd say long lake, nest lake and others would be more apt to hold muskies than trout, IMO.
Its just that trout are so hard to keep, in a sense. If they get to warm they die or if something else go wrong they die. I dont think many lakes are suited for trout.

In the near future I would like to see Green stocked with muskies. Im sure a lot of people would fish them, including me.

------------------

• 1 month later...

Yep, stock them all with Muskies. That way I can spend my $500-$1,000 a year a little closer to home, only an hour and a half drive to there, rather than a 3 1/2 hour drive to Alex area from the SW corner of the state. Why can't the DNR see that this sport is really becoming popular. People are driving hours just for one day on the lake to cast all day just for a hope to see one.

Fishing 101

Have you tried fox lake by Sherburn. Last year people reported catching 'skies there.

No, I have not fished Fox. The lakes I most hit are Miltona, Leech, and LOW. I live in between Marshall and Brookings SD, and there are no lakes around here at all. We do not have any lakes in this area that would even hold muskies, but it sure would be nice if they could find a lake closer to us. Willmar is only an hour and a half, that would be an easy drive for one days fishing.

• 2 weeks later...

I would definitely be for stocking muskies in Green Lake!!! It would be alot closer than making the drive to Alex. Maybe then the muskies would get rid of those **** rock bass out there! There are already some muskies in there so why not give it a shot!

Lund 95

I know there is great interest in getting a lake stocked with muskies in this area and it appears as though nobody is listening. If anyone is a member of a lake asssociation on a potential muskie lake (Nest, Green, Koronis) maybe you can bring it up at your next meeting and get the ball rolling.

I agree with Esoxcop, somebody needs to step forward so instead of us saying how nice it would be to have a muskie lake in the area, we can acually find out how nice it is to fish muskies on our home lakes.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no interest in fishing muskies personally, but can answer the question on whether they'll clean up the rock bass or not. I fished walleyes on Miltona last Tuesday & we caught 8-9 rockies in 3 1/2 hours, along with other fish, so they haven't dented them much. It would also appear they haven't hurt the walleye population too much... or the sunnies, or perch...

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this response from the DNR

Rino,
Spicer Area Fisheries has received requests at various times for Muskie
stocking in Nest and Green Lakes. We have submitted a proposal for
stocking Nest Lake. Nest Lake is considered to be less suitable for
management of muskie than Green Lake. However, Green Lake will not be
considered for Muskie stocking until experimental regulations studies,
which are presently in place until March 1, 2006, are completed. Also,
to control statewide program growth, no new lakes for Muskie stocking
will be added until other lakes are dropped from the stocking list. To
summarize, no Muskie stocking proposals for Nest or Green Lakes will be
submitted for at least two years. We would also discuss stocking
proposals with the lake associations before this kind of change in
stocking takes place.

Thank you for your interest in fish management of Nest and Green
lakes.

• 1 month later...

Maybe if a local sports shop like Mels were to start a petition for stocking Green with Muskies then when 2006 came around there would be enough local support to persuade the DNR?

If you have your own pond you can buy Skis. Here is a website that some may find interesting.
http://www.minnesotamuskiefarm.com/

I worked with the owner at Brandon Fisheries, he was the manager and I was on my internship. Nice to see and hear of aquaculturist creating job in aquaculture.

JJJ,

Good idea on the petition. I think someone should get moving on the stocking effort. By the way, how did you guys do in Hayward?
I havent been out since we were on Leech. getting ready for the fall bite now. Give me a call and we can go get Jamie's new boat dirty for him.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to a DNR employee who was doing a creel survey on Green. He said so far this summer, he knows of 6 Muskies caught and released on Green Lake. One of which he described as being a fat 47 incher. Some of the other ones that were caught were much shorter. This would indicate different year classes. It means someone is doing some private stocking or there is natural reproduction occuring. Either way it makes me smile.

I'd love to see more muskies on green, but while the population builds (hopefully) we should take advantage of the great pike fishing. My dad and I went out there on 10/3 and caught 5 over 30", including two 37.5" Muskies are great but i'd rather fish trophy pike any day. Gotta give the DNR credit for making it a good place for big northerns. The special regs are definetly working

I am all for the muskies and the big pike as long as the DNR keeps stocking food for them.....walleyes...lol. I like muskies because they aren't down in 30' of water chasing my bait in the middle of the summer. Those northerns on the other hand can make a mess out of some 6 lb mono.

I have heard that the DNR is pretty much just letting the walleye population go on Green and just focusing on bass and other fish. Is this true?