• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

DANGER on Kandi.!!

Use extreme caution if driving out on Kandi.! In fact I would not recommend it! A truck went through last night on Big Kandi. He got out OK, slid out through the sliding back window of the truck. It went down in about 13-14 of water. Pretty much in the center of the lake. I'd guess about 1/3 - 1/2 way between the point and the sunken Island and maybe a little North. It was pretty hard to see when I took him back out on my 4-wheeler to survey the area! Yikes! I hate following a set of tracks to have them disappear into the dark water!! frown.gif

Islander, do you have the gear to go in for it? Give TJ a call at the lake if so. I doubt they will do much today with the wind.

[This message has been edited by doubleUcubed (edited 01-14-2004).]

I wouldn't have expected anybody to have trouble out there but it sure is spooky on the clear ice. Islander... thanks for the use of the fishouse Sunday Morning ...caught a meal...Fishinbuddy had on up to the hole that could have earned him a place on a t-shirt...he said nasty things about the leader on your rattlereel. I may never put my truck on Big Kandi again and I'd say thats the best ice we've had out there in years...Is the tailgate still sticking out?

KC, nope, she's all the way under!! I had just gone to bed and I heard knocking on my door, then him calling my name. I got downstairs and he's standing there wet about half way up to his knees. He's a little nervous as he tells me his truck just went through, he couldn't get out the door or window and then remembered he had a sliding back window to get out of. He walked to my place about a mile or so. I got dressed, gave him a set of coveralls and Carhardt Jacket and we grabbed a few items in case we could secure it from going all the way under but he was pretty sure it was all the way down. So out we went on my 4-wheeler with the spot light, it was about 10 or a little later and found his fish house and talked to his brother and then we followed his tracks to the hole! Pretty spooky as I just moved over that way Sun. morning and was fishing over in that area. I took mine off Mon. night as I leave late tom. night for some exotic country for a weeks vacation! smile.gifsmile.gif

KC, you are right about driving on that lake. I was kinda concerned Sun. afternoon when T's son moved his house and only had 10" of ice on one side of the house and 8.5" on the other. I was less 200 yards away and had 15" of good ice!!

I suppose they will try and get everything ready today and maybe take it out tom.? I've got to get some stuff done here at work before my vacation so I probably won't get to help them to much.

Yowser, look like we need more cold weather!!!

That clear ice is spooky! Last Sat I was driving on Games, where lots of other people had already driven, and I saw a big crack 'running' straight ahead of me! Spooky! I had to keep telling myself it was OK...

W no I don't have my own dive gear. Let me know if they need some help.

W did you find out were you are going yet?
hope you have a good time!

KC tell Mike the problem with the leader was the jerk on the top end of the line.

KC, No snow yet and no more cars in the lake that I know of.

I moved my house and found the perch again. Are you coming out this weekend?

I'm going to be up there Saturday after noon are you gonna be around...will you have room?

I'm a bit confused and wondering if you local experts can help me.
I was out on B.K. last night for the first time on hardwater - been out in summer once.
We went off what I would call the South access and proceeded to drive 1.5 -2 miles toward what I would call the middle of the lake. We ended up next to some friendly local neighbors and I quizzed them on these bad ice reports. (i was nervouse 'cause we were out with a big Suburban). Anyway, they told me that they have never heard of bad ice on Kandi. Well from what I've read here the last few years it's not uncommon. So can you narrow down spots to avoid on this lake? Are there springs in the lake that one should avoid - any tips to help us be safe on this lake would be appreciated. From what I can tell from the map we came off the access, around a small point and proceeded toward the middle of the lake east or SE of the island. I think we were out of the shadow of the island since I'm pretty sure I could see north toward the other access that I launched from this summer, but perhaps I was just viewing homes on the east side. Anyway, any tips you have for navigating this lake in the winter would be appreciated! Thanks!

You're probably fine on most of the lake. The one place I've always been told to avoid is the back side of the island where the channel meets the rest of the lake.

MNorthwoods, Howd ya do? I take it you went out in the sub eh. grin.gif

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

KC, Yes I will be out there saturday and I should have some room for you. See you on the lake.

MN, the one place that is never safe is the rock point on the north east end of the island. As far as the rest of the lake goes you never know were thin ice will be. Thin ice one year is safe the next. From the discription of the area you were in you were close to the spot the last truck fell through. It is marked with some sticks.

Islander, we ended up in St. Kitts in the West Indies. It was pretty awesome on that Island. Temps in the middle to upper 80's everyday and barely a cloud. Got to go snorkeling on the Island of Nevis about 2 miles away. It was a great trip, we'll have to get together and discuss the details. I heard the truck came out pretty decently while I was gone. Good to hear. Hopefully T won't have to use the wrecker again although I pulled it in his shed Sat. afternoon before the snow came. He is concerned that someone else is gonna "bite it" out there the way some people are driving all over in the middle of the night.

MN, pretty hard to describe where the bad spots on Kandi. are located every year. As Islander has indicated the NE point of the Island "The Point", is never safe, the sun radiating off the rocks alway's seems to keep some water open and the natural crack/heave that runs NE from there to Park #2 is alway's kinda dangerous. For the most part the bad spots have typically been towards the SE corner of the lake, usually S-SE of the Sunken Island. Once again as Islander has said it's never safe all the time. Kinda like this year where the truck went in. That area usually is pretty good. As far as springs in the lake? I don't think that is what is causing the bad spots out there. My personal opinion is that it's methane gas being released from the bottom and the bubbling action is keeping the water open or with a thin crust over the area. You can see a lot of these spots out there, they typically range from a few feet in diameter to 75+ feet or so. The ice is usually cloudy with a yellowish/light brown tint to it. I avoid those area's all the time!! It's gonna be hard to see them out there now with new snow, hopefully it will blow off. Hope this helps. smile.gif Yup, from sunny and 85 to this sucks! smile.gif

Sorry I didn't find you Sat. Islander...Drove out to the Island and worked on the gourmet kitchen but the light was fading as I got done. Will be up for sure next weekend I'll call you later in the week....I may bring Fishin Buddy if he can remain civil. As far as the ice on Kandi goes the points are always questionable but otherwise sometimes the lake just wants a truck...keep your seatbelt unlatched and your window open...and be ready

Has the snow hampered travel on the lake...looks like improved weather for saturday and Sunday...Islander...are you still over by the sunken island?

KC, I haven't seen a whole lot of travel on the lake the last few day's. I've seen one guy out in front of my place, a couple in the NE corner and one or two driving around on the South side of the lake. By the looks of things it's gonna be tougher getting around out there now. The point is really steaming and I guess there's a pretty good size area of open water out there. My brother took my bino's or I could tell ya if Islander was still there or not! smile.gif -25 this morning and still open water at the point, yikes!! frown.gif

KC, I was out there monday. the snow was still soft and it wasn't bad for geting around but after it has drifted it will be tough going. My house is west of the spot I was in. The fishing was slow on monday. I might be out there on saterday.

Was fishing the sunken island fri afternoon and the carp were so thick i could hook the in the mouth with a jig head . They were solid from top to bottom. Does anyone ever come in and net rough fish in the winter on kandi? Have seen them do it on foot several years ago but from what i have been told the carp keep the weeds from infesting the lake, anyway i only had about 14" of ice under my house on the sunken island and moved over to the rock point(at least as close as i dare!) and i had 18" are the carp causing the ice to loose inches? The open water froze over as of sat, why does'nt the dnr ever mark that spot? It wont be to long before someone goes in there. Anyways i have been driving a full size through the channel for some time now and it seems fine cross my fingers. Good luck over the last 2 weeks of walley season and for you locals say a little prayer for the leikvol family and for a miracle--that he somehow isnt paralized, it doesnt sound very promising.

Roli, I haven't been on the lake for a few weeks but I see a few people moving about. Hopefully sometime this week I can get back out there. I guess a week of warm weather turned me into a softy! smile.gif Thanks for the info. about the Sunken Island as that was where I was thinking about moving to.

The carp can keep the ice a little thinner in spots. They have netted the carp on Kandi. in the winter before but they haven't had much luck in the last few tries at it. I watched them out there about 4 years ago or so and they didn't get much. Because of rocks on the bottom of the lake they are pretty limited as to where they can put there net out. The last time they tried it was NW of the "point" towards "Bonnie Beach" and the woods. They've done it out in front of Park #2 to the SW in the past also. I helped down at the trap at the inlet for many years, a lot of work in the spring time as the fish are tough to handle!! Got to see a lot of awesome game fish though!!

I doubt the DNR will ever mark the point. I'm sure it has to do with liability if someone goes through. Pretty much the same when we find a bad spot on the lake. They don't want to come and mark and hope that who ever finds it will mark it. Kinda sucks but I can understand the reasoning behind it.

I hear ya Roli about the prayers. I talked with him a couple times that night. Just hoping for the best!

Good Luck the last couple of weeks!!