• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
WaveWacker

Weekend Report

WaveWacker

Man O Man, what an absolutely beautiful weekend to be on the water! All in all fishing was rather good. I was able to pick up a couple of keeper walleyes (16-20") just about every time that I went out. These where mixed in with some throw backs (13") mixed in with them. Had a magical night on Sunday night. Boated 9 eyes, 3 that where keepable, 5 where too small and went back and 1 that was 24.5 inches that went back as well.

Only disheartening thing was seeing everyone that was keeping the small 13" fish. I know everyone likes to get themselves a nice walleye meal but I saw a couple of boats come out day after day loaded with people and pull in small fish every time. Yeah I know the argument can be made that when the epilimnion (upper layer in the water column) is this warm that fish survivability is lowered with a release. I don't know? I have talked to many fisheries individuals and have not seen enough conclusive evidence that supports this.

Don't get me wrong. I keep my fair share of fish, but only what will be used and set my own slot for fish to throw back. This isn't just on Ida it is on every lake that I fish that doesn't have a pre-set slot. In my mind it would be wrong of me to set these priorities just on the lake that the cabin is on and then have the attitude on other lakes that, "Well this isn't "my" lake so what the hey, keep everything". Someday I know that I will be back to that lake and would still like to have good fishing for me and someday my kids.

Anyway, I won't ruin the good things about this weekend so enough with my rantings. Some of you may not like this, well tough. All I ask is that people think a bit before keeping everything they catch. Enjoy the moment of being out on the water and catching fish. Bring a camera, snap a few pictures. You'll remember those pictures more then that one meal of fish anyway.

Oh yes almost forgot. Fish could be found on many types of structure. Mid-lake humps, long shoreline points, etc. The key to the points was to bump the weed edge. Live bait rig, plain hook tipped with crawlers or redtails (sorry G-man, didn't get into the shop for redtails. The neighbor had a bunch left from last weekend and he wasn't up there and told me to use them up). Going to be in Canada for a while now, then get some projects finished up at home so I won't be up there until the 26th. Take Care all!

WW

ghotierman

WW...no prob...we actually ran out of tails late on Saturday night, river shiners were gone by sunday afternoon. Trapper should be out this week and stock us up again though.

Thanks for the report. Did the bass harass much?...Another Ida regular mentioned that they caught 35-50 bass for each walleye. He was fishing with the grandkids so everyone had a great time. Looking for the fall bite to turn on soon. Cool nights and brisk mornings should drop the epilimnion temps... smile.gif

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

WaveWacker

Bass depended on the spots. Wanting to milk out my "free" bait on spots that held good bass numbers I pulled out of and tried a different one. Only to return one day with a jig/tube to have a blast with the bass. What is the deal with the cost of the redtails? Is there actual population down or is it that there aren't as many people trapping them that has their price up? Like I said, I'm back up there for fall fishing/duck hunting on the opener. Should be pulling in sometime on Thurs. (25th) night. I'll have to check closer to then as far as the bait supply. Chances are I will be the first one at the door come Fri (26th) morning.

Anderland

WW, thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a good time. I had a very similar report from the weekend, walleyes were very active at dusk on Miltona, although they were also running on the small side. But thankfully the fisher-folk around us were putting the little ones back. I also managed a nice musky follow on Sunday morning. But man have I had a tough time getting the ski's to do anything more than show themselves this summer. Every weekend has been high skies with calm conditions, perhaps not enough night fishing...I don't know. Anyway, bring on the fall is all I can say! Good luck to all and keep the "news" coming!

WaveWacker

Well...This isn't exactly Alex area related but figured all you boys would appreciate to hear. Just got back from 5 days of fishing 200 miles N of Winnipeg on a fly in. Man O Man was that fun. Between 6 of us we pulled in between 300-400 eyes same with Northerns. Eyes where big too. A couple 8's, many 3-6's, and a bunch of good eaters as well (less then 2). I think I gained 10 pounds on the trip. Great country to see as well.

With my dwindling thoughts of Canada I have Alex and some great fall fishing thoughts brewing. Doesn't look like I will be up there until next weekend or the 26th for sure. Have to try to pack 2 months full of work around the farm into 2 weeks so that I can enjoy the play time in the fall.

Anderland...I've heard the same all over the state with the skies doing a lot of chasing and that is it. I have only put two in the boat this year.

Take care boys and talk to you soon. G-man I'll do a bait check when it gets closer to me getting up there.

WW