• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

any information on lake mary boucning around out there.. will be heading up there next weekend...any info would be great.. especially on the eyes...

tom...sorry for late reply...haven't been hearing much from Mary....guessing crawlers on the weed edge will be the best ticket....if the waters starting to cool fast enough, fatheads and jigging may boat a few too....

hope your trip goes well...

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Gogishingtom-please post the results of your trip. I hope to be at Lake Mary in 2 weeks myself. Thanks for your reply.

bigbobber,
just got back from mary today and with the big warm up this weekend fishing wasnt that great during the day to hot... fished nighttime once and boated 3 eyes in 13 to 15 ft of water off the weeds outside of little mary.. during the day trolled spinners and jigged minnows only to catch 4 northerns.. hope this helps and when you go hopefully the weather will have cooled the water down alittle to turn the eyes back on again.. i'll be going back up this next weekeend again...

Any updates on water temps or fishing success on Mary. Heading there the 19th. Any and all replies greatly appreciated.

big bobber,
when i left today the water temp was down to about 67 degrees.. fish day time again and not alot happening still but did ok at night in 15ft of water off reeds by little mary after dark got 4 eyes 2 bullheads and 6 nice crappies... using minnows and crawlers..

good luck next week post how you did please?

Thanks for your reply gofishingtom. Will let you know how we did next weekend. Where you fishing outside of Little Mary? Redtails or some other type of minnow? Did you spend much time fishing during the day? Thanks for the info. I really appreciate hearing from someone. The water temp should be under 65 by the weekend.

big bobber,
the bait store was selling redtail for 7.50/dozen so i just used fatheads 1.50/scoop..and yes i was just outside little mary on the outside of the weeds on the breakline where it goes from 15 to 23 feet.. as for day fishing just got northerns and did some casting for bass and picked up a few of those not any size to them

gofishingtom-just returned from Mary. Fished Friday eve and caught 4 Walleyes down by Little Mary. Two of us caught about 35 bass and about 17 Northern Pike on Saturday. Was going out Saturday night but the strong Southeast wind was not favorable for getting the boat off or back on the lift in the dark, so did not go out again. 30 mile an hour winds blowing up the chute was not a fun thing.

big bobber
sounds like you have a pretty good weekend of fishing... fish must be turning on more now that water is cooling.. how did you catch the walleyes and were there any size to them?

Walleyes were 18-20 inches. Used the Lindy glo lead heads with fat head minnows. Water temps yesteday were 63-64 degrees. The water was really dirty compared to June. The bass were either right next to the pencil weeds, or anywhere in the bays. They were tucked right inside the reeds. They did not hit anything further than 6 inches outside the reeds. They definately were not chasing yesterday. Caught several over 3 lbs with spinner baits without skirts tipped with large fatheads. Caught 4 on consecutive casts doing this. Also, caught 3 northerns over 5 lbs with this method. My buddy had 2 bite offs with fireline. He had a ball. The wind yesterday took most of the main lake away. The caps were really rolling.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.