• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm new to the board, thanks for taking the time to read my message.

My husband and 2 small children enjoy recreational fishing. We will be staying at Sunset Bay resort in 1 week. I have read through every Lake Mary post to gather information. Just wondering if there is some "fishing advice" that pertains directly to the Sunset Bay side of Lake Mary? Or what lures we should use? I have fished for a long time, but have to admit my knowledge base of "what to use for what fish" is rather limited. smile.gif

I guess primarily the purchase of our boat 3 months ago was to promote "family time". We love it!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Roxi

Hi Roxi, and welcome to the fourm.

Lake Mary is a great lake to fish. Not only are the panfish abundant, but they are of decent size too!
Fish the large bay on the north side near the resort for bluegills. Start shallow, 5-7' and move deeper 7-12' if needed. If you find the deep weedline, you will most likely find the bluegills. Don't spend too much time in one spot, if they quit biting, move down the shoreline. The fish move around alot, so you should too.

As for gear and tackle, 5' ultralight rods and 4# test line work best. Use small ice style jigs with bits of crawlers or leeches.
Berkley Powerbaits in those little jars also work very well, less mess for the kids.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation. smile.gif

Thanks Skeets for the welcome and for all of the advice. We will certainly listen to it. I will make a report upon our return. We will be returning the 16th. Thanks again for your kindness.

Roxi

Roxi...ditto on skeets advice. You could also try waxworms for a variation. How old are the kids? Plan on assisting them more than fishing yourself, especially when the bluegills are on the bite. You'll take one off the hook, turn around and they'll land another. (My experience on Miltona yesterday! Wife: "oh, you're not getting to fish!" Me: "this IS fishing")

Have a great trip, any other questions...let us know.

good luck and good fishing!

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Thanks Ghotierman. I appreciate the advice.

Our children are small (son 5, daughter 3) and my husband and I usually take turns fishing so we can direct our attention to our children.

I agree w/you... "fishing" is when the fish are biting so often you don't have time to throw your own line out! smile.gif

Now I'm really excited! Thanks again.
Roxi