• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Matt...we'll help you out all we can. As for the good map, the new Miltona map from Lakemaster is the best there is. 3 foot contours give a totally new look to the big water, and will help you pinpoint likely spots. (i'm currently out of stock, but may have 'em on the shelf by that weekend...otherwise order from Rick here at FM)

Miltona is a great lake for trolling for pike. Spoons or inline spinners will work great. Pull them along over the tops or outside edge of the standing cabbage and you should find 'em. Texas rigged worms or jig and pigs are good for bass. Or give topwaters a try. Keep in mind, even with out the equipment, you and your crew may encounter the might esox. I know of two or three 50 inch+ fish that came on med/light walleye rigs!

It's a great fishery. Night bite seems to be best for walleyes. Leeches pulled over the edge of the sand flats works well. Daytime, concentrate on the weeds or deep points with jigs and fatheads or light pike minnows.

Hope this gives you a start. Get the lakemaster map and stop in or call, and we can point out some specific spots to try.

good luck

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Hi all,

I will be taking my first camping trip up in God's Country (Alex), and was wondering if anyone could help me out while I fish Miltona (july 25-27). I will be in a 16' Smokercraft with a 60 h.p. merc. If you see me and 3 others out there, feel free to say hello.

I love fishing muskies, but unfortunately my friends don't have the gear, so we'll hit some pike and bass instead. Does anyone know of any productive areas/lures/depths that have been productive in the past?

We would also like to catch some walleyes (easier said than done, i know). Could anyone point me in the right direction? Even if we got a couple it would make us happy (enough for one meal, all others will swim away).

I would really appreciate any help, and if you guys know of the best lake map available, (other than dnr's) I would really appreciate knowing it.

If you want you could e-mail me at [email protected], or just reply. Thank you very much, I appreciate all of your help in making my trip more memorable.

Good luck out there!

-Matt

I just ordered the Pro Map for Miltona. But now the tricky part is to pinpoint a productive location on all of that water! Does anyone know of any productive sandbars or rockpiles in the lake this time of year for walleyes? Are there any depth ranges where I should focus on? Down here I've been hitting fish in the 20-25ft. range, is that about the same up there? Could you tell me where I would see them on the map?

Thanks in advance for the help. I really appreciate it.

-Matt

matt...Miltona 'eyes can be a bit finicky this time of year. The 20-25 foot range is a good starting point....but they've been layin as deep as 30-40 feet. Night fishing is usually more productive. Then you can pull cranks over the flats, or drag leeches along the breaks. When you get that map, you'll see how the "flats" kind of divide the lake in two. I'm more familiar with the western half. There is a small bay on the far west end, kind of pinched by two points. The flats pick up just beyond to the east. Off the north point of that bay...and between that point and the 'flats' there are a couple of smaller flats (too big to be just humps) topping out at 10 feet or so. There is a hole formed between the point, the the point of the flat and the northshore flat...bottoms out at about 30 feet...

Also try the loop turn out from the mid north shore access. On the map you'll see a big inside turn that points back to the access, it's like a trough or ravine that pitches down to 50-60 feet...along the way there's a hump that tops out at about 20 feet, kind of an island in a ravine...

Off the south shore there is a nice point with some rocks....and a bar along the south east side.

when you look at the 3' contour map, you'll be able to pinpoint alot of likely spots.

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

I have been out the past couple weekends. Last weekend was very poor, and did not hear of anyone doing well--not to say it did not happen somewhere--. I would say that i have had success from 17-20 feet, on the flats and on weed edges along the gold coast. The weeds generally seem to end around 19-20 feet where i am fishing. I use leeches and spinners mostly, some on raps trolled over the weeds. I was out last monday nite, wind blowing whitecaps into the gold coast. Threw out the anchor, figured it was a waste of time as the boat would move, and was no real special spot, other than a nice bar running out from shore in 18 feet. From 10:00 to 10:20 i got three walleyes with a slip bobber. Fished another half hour before i figured out that the knot slipped to six feet off bottom. Spent a long time in the dark and waves tying up another rod. No more walleyes, but many missed bites, a couple rock bass, and sunnies. DIdnt think they bit at night. At just before twelve, had a bite, rod bent, short runs,,about a 3 pound smallie. Was enough for me, went in to get some sleep. It is a real blast watching a lighted bobber go down, wish i did that more. Tuesday did some trolling, got a spotted muskie, little guy but spunky, off the public launch. Couple small pike. Saw the largest snapper i have ever seen just off the campground on the west end. Its head looked like a dogs head. Didnt get a close enough look at the shell, but was at least two feet across. Yikes, no swimmin there for me!
I think the full moon set the eyes off a little, perhaps feeding later at night. Hope it picks up when you go..Good luck!

Hi everyone,

Has anyone been catching eyes, norts or muskies this week? I've heard that the big sandbar area near the center of the lake will hold eyes at night, is this true? Or is it too late in the season to still hold fish?

How about the northerns? Have they stayed pretty close to the edges of deep cabbage and other weeds? Or do you have to venture past the edge to find em?

Are there any reefs on the lake that have been better lately for waldos? It seems like there is plenty of structure, but I would like to try any known fish holding spots first.

Ghotierman, is Alexandria Outfitters on my way to Miltona? If that's the case, I'll stop in and pick up a few things.

Thanks again for all of your help!

-MB

Hello,

I will be on Miltona this weekend and have fished the lake sparingly for a few years. I have yet to catch a walleye. I am looking for an approach or a spot that will produce.
I am planning on fishing in the early evening hours and will appreciate any advice.

thanks

My dad and I were on Miltona Sunday night out on the flats and had some good fishing. We were in 18 - 19 feet of water using lindy rig & leechs. We managed 23 walleyes from 8pm to 10pm. We were on the NW corner of the flats in front of the girl scout camp (if its still called that). Good luck!!
Paul S

Hey Guys,

Just wondering how the bass and northern bite has been. Are most of these fish related to deep weededges? Or has anyone found bass near docks? Down here, I'm still catching bass near the docks, and in muck and reeds. Are Miltona's bass deeper this time of year? I'm guessing that the clearer water pushes them deeper than the lakes that I fish.

How about the northerns? How deep should I start looking? Thanks for everyone's help. I can't wait for tomorrow!

-MB

Olivers army...try the flats in front of the girl scout camp....or, on the south shore of the lake, there is a pretty prominent point (on the map its easy to see...sharp point from the south, kind of pinches the lake into 1/3 - 2/3 section...) most maps show this shorline point hooking up onto the flats...on the 3' contour map, there is a hole...bottoming out at about 26 feet...definately worth looking at in the evenings....

a couple spots to try...good luck...

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Was on Miltona again last night, fished the SW corner of the flats, managed 3 walleyes in 10 feet of water using lindys and leeches from 8:30 to 9:30 pm.
Paul S