• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best Campground in Area? Decent Rates?

Hi Everyone,

Me and 3 buddies are looking for a place with decent rates to camp at. Preferably on Osakis, Miltona, Mary, Ida, or any other lake in your area. This would be for the July 25-27, and we would really like to hook into some walleyes for a shore-lunch or two. Could you tell me what kind of presentations have been successful or any points or structures to check out? We will be doing about 90% catch and release and will only keep enough for a meal.

We also like fishing for bass, northerns, and panfishing once in a while. Could any of ya'll tell me where my best bet is at that time? Also, if you know of any watering holes that are kinda close where a guy could get a burger and beer when the night is done?

It'd all be much appreciated. Thanks again!

-MB

SWMuskeye,I can try to help build on WW's post. There are only two campgrounds on Miltona that I am aware of anymore, and they are Tamarac Bay Campground located on the north side of the lake, and Lucky Acres located on the far west bay. Within the last couple of years many of the resorts/campgrouds on Miltona have been sold so it's hard to know what's what anymore. As far as the other lakes you listed hopefully others on this board can be of more assistance. And I must 2nd WW's choice of watering holes, Leaf Valley is very close to Miltona and Ida and has been a great way to top off a day of fishing with food and beverage many a time.

SWMuskeye...Unfortunately I can't answer your main question about the campsites. Don't know much about which resorts or so have campsites available. I know that there is one for sure on Miltona and thinking that there is one on Ida. Personally the in-laws have a place on Ida that I spend a great deal of time up on. I would say that time of the year and what you like to fish for Ida or Miltona would be excellent choices. I would work deep hump or points with leeches or crawlers for the walleyes. Northerns and bass are plentiful in both bodies of water and you might get lucky and run into the king of toothy critters (muskie) on Miltona.

Now for as far a good watering I can help you there. I have had plenty of good burgers and cocktails at Leaf Valley. Very close to Ida and Miltona. It is on I believe that is CR 6 that is on the west side of Ida. Drive north on 6 from Ida and you'll hit it. Look on the map for Leaf Valley, that's where it is. Good Luck and maybe see you on the water.

WW

Ditto on WW and Anderland's recommendations..

You could also consider Lake Carlos State Park for camping. On the north end of Lake Carlos, you'd have access to the Chain of lakes and a variety of great fishing. Also just a short trip to Ida or Miltona.

Another watering hole suggestion: on the east side of Miltona, near Lake Irene...Chet's great broiled chicken!

And there's Bug-a-boo bay..a bit more upscale but very nice.

good luck...

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598