• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Was fishing lake reno last sat. morning from 5:30 till about 10:00 was pretty slow only managed 4 fish all in the 14" range. Has anyone else been fishing reno lately? Planning on giving it a try again this weekend (weather permitting) probably sat. morning. I have a couple questions about fishing lake reno. #1 Does the fall fishing pick up like spring and when does this begin? #2 Does anyone fish reno in the evenings at all and how is the fishing? Would appreciate any info or help answering my questions. TourPro175 have you been to reno lately? maybe sometime we'll run into each other. GOOD FISHIN'

walleyeking#8,
I was up there fishing this past weekend and had more luck than I've had since before the big rains in early July. On the north shore near the west side of the lake there are emerging pencil weeds in front of a trailer house - a bit out from there and a bit further east there is a rock pile that comes up to about 5 feet (look for the boats). Fish off from that in about 12 - 16 ft and the walleyes were hitting. Ofcourse I ran out of leeches due to all the bull heads inbetween but there was action. Also tried night-crawlers but all that caught us were a bunch or rock bass. A lot of boats populate this same area in the evening after the sun goes down and bobber fish. Another evening spot is around Blair's point - which is just east of the west side landing - outside of the pencil weeds. Haven't done the late evening thing myself, but I've heard they catch 'em.

I've been spending time recently targeting other species besides walleyes in some recent outings. Sunfish, crappies, bass, northerns. I have caught a few of each but mostly by accident in the times targeting walleyes. Anybody know of spots around to lake to catch any of these other species? Just looking for some fun in these times where the walleyes don't typically byte all that well...

Thanks and good luck out there.

walleyeking#8

Unfortunately I have not been down there for about 3 weeks. Fishing has slowed a bit, my sources as of last week were telling me that the night bite was good 9:00-12:00 they were pulling gold spinners with crawlers, 14'-18' bring bug spray!

As far as a fall bite, I have never been down there in the fall. My gut feeling is that this lake would be a very good fall lake! Fall is trophy time and I spend a lot of time up on Mille Lacs. I usually spend the summer up there as well, but with the sporatic bite that the lake has expierenced this year I have'nt logged many hours up there. If this continues I may just have to sample Reno's fall fishing. I run a Alumacraft Tour. Pro 175 150 merc with a 9.9 kicker. If you see me come over and say hi, it would be nice to meet you.

Good Fishing!

Thanks Tansey and TourPro175 for the info and reports. I'll make sure and let you know how I did if I happen to make it up there this weekend.

Made it to lake reno this morning (8-9-03)it had to have been the best walleye fishing out there so far this year. Started out real slow, fished the rock pile tansey was talking about and managed only 3 eyes. Decided to try somewhere else and WOW! the fishing was awesome. Boated 14 fish and they were all in the 16-20inch range and a added bonus, caught and released my second 27" walleye out there this year. Thanks tansey and tourpro for the tips on where to fish. By the way caught almost all the eyes in 20-24ft of water. I brought a buddy of mine with me and he said it was the best walleye fishing he had ever had. I sure hope the fishing stays this good or maybe even better. GOOD FISHIN

walleyeking#8,

Sounds like a great day on the lake. If you wouldn't mind sharing, what type of presentation/bait were you using and what time of day was it? I posted recently, fishing the same depth (25') on the northwest side of the lake where I had been catching northerns on a lindy rig and leech. It sure would be nice if the walleyes start holding in the area.

I should be up this weekend, hope they're still there. Look for a dock just north of pelican point with a Vikings wind sock on it, that's where I'm at. Thanks for the info again.

As you guys may be seeing the trend on Reno--the fishing during the summer is best after 9:00 a.m. for some reason. The more wind the better, too.

I've spent many hours on Reno in the fall starting in late Sept. right up to first ice and I've been sorely disappointed. I've tried all presentations and bait tactics and not done squat.

I can, however, walk out on 4" of first ice and slaughter the Walleyes in the evening, not in the morning--they don't come back to the same spots in the morning--weird!

I'd like to hear from anyone who has had different success in the fall.

------------------
Chells

Tansey, I was fishing off of pelican point sorta where the breakline starts. I'd start south side of pelican point in about 20' and work the breakline around the point. We actually would troll south and drift north going in and out of 20-27 ft., most fish were caught in 20-24 ft. Like chells said the fish start about 9:30-10:00. I was on the lake as soon as it started getting light and only caught 3 fish before that time. We caught fish on both leeches and crawlers, with about a six to eight foot snell and used a 1 1/2 ounce bottom bouncer. It seemed like they bite better moving slow, slower than I normally troll. Both yellow spinners and hammered silver worked great. I hope this will help, unfortunately I wont be able to make it up there this weekend due to a wedding and my sons 14th birthday. Hopefully we run into each other sometime. GOODLUCK FISHIN

Anyone been fishing lately? Was wondering Tansey did you do any fishing when you were there last weekend? I wonder how this heat wave is affecting those fish? maybe a guy will have to fish even deeper next time out. I'm hoping this sat. I can make it up there and try for some large eyes. Fall is just around the corner and thats the time to get out and catch some of those big ones. Outdoor news posted fri. that reno was going pretty good. true, or false? Everyone good fishin'

walleyeking#8,

I did make it up to the lake last weekend but only made it out fishing for a couple hours late-morning on Saturday. I only landed a single walleye, but had quite a few short bites. My outing was probably too short to really make any solid judgements however. Kids were too hot in the boat so we spent the rest of the weekend floating on tubes and swimming to stay out of the heat. The water was like bath water, almost too warm. I'm guessing the fish are sitting at the bottom waiting for the perfect meal to get them to move. Sounds like it's supposed to cool off by the weekend so hopefully that will help things. There were not a whole lot of boats out fishing during the day, still a lot of boats doing the night fishing thing. I'm guessing that's when people are catching 'em but I've never heard reports from anyone.

Fished reno today from about 4:00p.m. till about 8:30 this evening and did'nt fair well at all. I think the heat did a number on the fishing. Only boated one fish and missed a couple others. I sure hope the fall comes real soon. Anyone else had any luck out there lately? Well good luck fishing.

• 2 weeks later...

Was on Reno over the weekend and got in my first attempt on night-time bobber fishing. Let me start by saying nothing is more exciting than having "something" pull line out of a reel you can barely even see.

Dropped leeches down to a school of suspended fish sitting at about 8' in 14' of water. I could hear the rattle of my bobber as "something" started nibbling at the bait. The light was still visible however until - plunk - down it goes. Set the hook and the fight was on. Something about being in the dark where you can't see your hand in front of your face, but you can hear the line zinging out of your reel as "something" takes off still raises the hair on the back of my neck. After a few minutes of fighting, I was able to get it into the boat only to find it was a bullhead that just sunk its stinger into the side of my hand! Caught 3 more bullheads all in the 4 lb range each time thinking I had a hog of a walleye on the other end. Needless to say, I'm hooked on night-time bobber fishing.

Tried lindy rigs and spinners with leeches and crawlers over the days with minimal success. Trolling with raps seemed to be the ticket in the daylight hours towards dusk.

tanseys:

You may want to consider bringing a scale to weigh a couple of those bullheads. Reno used to hold the state record for yellow bullhead until someone broke that record on Osakis last year (3lbs 10.5 oz). Time for Reno to get that record back as there are some downright chunks in there. Thank god that the bullheads have not been as prolific on Reno this year compared to years past. Walleye fishing this year has been walleye fishing...

SUNNYD

Tansey, where are you finding those big things? I've been out there almost every weekend and yet I haven't caught a single one. This spring while fishing the south shore we caught a few, but this summer I haven't found any, thank heavens! Well I haven't been up there for going on two weeks now but might make it up there this weekend. I sure hope the eyes are a biting. Oh by the way, are you just staying there or do you have a cabin there? Sometime hopefully we can run into each other when we are there. How about you tourpro175, have you been gettin any action on reno lately? Got a walleye tourney coming up on Green Lake on the 13th so I'd better try and make it up there this weekend. GOODLUCK ALL!!!

walleyeking#8,

I do plan on being on Reno this weekend. We have a lot just north of pelican point, just down from a new house being built. I drive a white and blue 16" Rinker run-about if I'm alone, or a 24 ft. Palm Beach pontoon if out with the family. Look for a "Vikings" wind sock off the end of our dock, stop by for a cold one it would be great meeting some FM'ers out there.

We've been catching bull heads all summer it seems. Probably 3 bullheads for every walleye. Mainly in about 16-20 feet when we fish with leeches or crawlers off the bottom in the northwest area of the lake. I didn't realize the state record was under 4 lb. It could very well be that I've thrown the new record back into the lake or into a field for some fertilizer. Problem is, I can't get the dang things off my line soon enough. Last thing I want to do is keep it around long enough to drive to a weigh station to register the things. I've already taken a couple of their stinger this summer, I don't need to risk any more. I can't be the only one catching these things though. Anyone else hitting a bunch of big bullheads out there?

Good luck out there this weekend.

walleyeking#8

I have'nt been down there for over a month and a half. I've been doing a lot of fishing up on the Mississippi. The walleye bite has slowed quite a bit up here as well.

I've been monitoring your postings, hoping for some good news. Early goose season starts this weekend and will be filling some of my time. If you or Tanseys happen to get into them please let me know, I would realy like to get down there again. If I here anything I'll be sure to post as well. Good luck in your tournament.

Good Fishing!

I know I have thrown back at least 1 bullhead over 4 lbs on Reno this year. We have been catching about 3 BH to every walleye each time out. Guess I may have to weigh a couple of them this weekend when we're out there.

Yeah...be sure to weigh a couple of those big bullies. The state record for Black Bullhead came off Reno...currently 3lbs 13oz. Yellow bullhead record is out of Osakis at 3lbs 10oz. If the Reno bullies are balcks or yellows...you could get into the state record book. Might not be a glamourous record...but hey...it's still a record!

good luck and good fishing...

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

ghotierman:

I stand corrected...those big bullies are the black variety in Reno. Reno still does hold the record! Thank you for the correction and bring the scale just in case. Like you said, a record is still a record!

Take care,

SUNNYD

Went out fishing a few times over the weekend and it was the slowest fishing of the summer. Lake was covered with a thick green algae that made the shores look like pea soup. Tried leeches and crawlers without even a bite, a few perch hit on raps.

The frogs were everywhere so hooked one through the leg, tied on a 7 ft snell and threw it into 5 ft of water with a slip-weight to keep it from swimming away. Ended up with another huge bullhead hitting a frog on the top of the water. What's with these bullheads feeding on the top of the water? Does that surprise anyone else? Also had what I am guessing was a big northern take down another frog, line was cut by some sharp teeth. That was my first attempt fishing with live frogs and it seemed to be what the fish were most interested in. Anyone do much fishing with frogs? What kind of presentations are used?

Haven't been to reno now for about 3-1/2 wks, but am sure getting the itch to get back there. I will be fishing a walleye tourney this weekend on Green, otherwise I would probably head there this weekend. Frogs are great bait in the fall. I have a buddy that uses frogs from mid summer till the ice over and he swears by them. The largest walleye I have ever seen (real) he caught on a frog the end of december or so. I think he hooks them in the mouth with a fairly large hook. You could also use a strip-on or whatever it is called. Tansey let me know when the eyes return to a biting mode. thanks! Goodluck fishing!

The wife and I were out on Reno last Saturday, fishing was slow but we did manage 3 eyes - 24", 25", and a 27" all released and all caught on spinner/bottom bouncer with red tails. Was the first time out there this year that we didin't catch any bullheads.

Made it out for an hour Friday night and tried trolling raps at dusk then slip bobber with fatheads on some breaks but got nothing. Saturday morning caught another big bullhead on a frog (weighed in at 2 3/4 #, I'll get that record yet), then tried spinner/bottom bouncer with fatheads and only managed a single perch.

September has so far been the slowest fishing month of the summer, sure hope things pick up soon. I haven't done much fall fishing in the past on Reno. I've read on other posts that fishing has been disappointing come fall. Anyone care to chime in on their fall fishing outings in the past on Reno?

I myself haven't done any fall fishing on reno neither, but this year that is going to change. I haven't been there for about a month now, but am getting the itch to try catching a few of them nice eye's I know exist in that fabulous lake. Tansey, maybe we could plan an outing up there in early Oct. and do some jig fishin' for some eye's? Fished that green lake tourney last sat. and that was the worst fishing I had all year. My partner and I managed to catch only one walleye, but that was enough to take 4th place. Missed 3rd by twohundredths of an ounce. The team that won had six fish that weighed a wapon 4lbs 3ounces. Give me a holler tansey if you would be interested in doing something like that. My email address is [email protected] Back to the reno fishing, I predict the fishing will be good out there this fall, say mid Oct. till the end of Oct. Hopefully this stands true. GOOD FISHING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!