• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Was just wondering how reno has been for all you other serious walleye fisherman? I was there last saturday morning arived around 5:00 a.m. fished till 11:00 a.m. boated about 11 eye's only kept 2. caught all sizes from 9 inch to 22 were very scattered though. Used a 2oz. bottom bouncer and spinner rig/crawler, one you can't buy anywhere. If anyone else has had any hot bites would like to hear about them. This is my first year fishing lake reno and do I really love that lake. It is a tremendous fishery. Hoping to hit it this coming saturday also, weather permitting. My little 14' boat doesn't like big, big waves.

Wish I had a more possitve report for you. I was down there last Thursday after the big storms blew through, WOW they must of had a ton of rain, lots of flooded fields, the dock on Villard lake was under water. Anyway I was fishing by six, we caught about 15 walleyes, only one keeper that came on a crankbait late in the day. We started N. of Pelican point lots of small fish, the NE. corner same results and a couple other spots. I think the storms had a major impact, the wind also went full circle through the day. Water temps. are mid 70's.

Good Luck!

Tour.Pro175 thanks for the reply. What depth did you catch them in? Like I said in my post, this is my first year fishing lake reno so I am not yet aquainted with names of such fishing places. I have been fishing there 5 times since June 1st and all but two of those times I was able to catch a nice limit of walleyes. Nothing huge. Yet!! One particular saturday I boated some where between 20 to 25 fish. Not one of those where less than 14 inches. Was wondering does anyone know if the lake map of lake reno tell names of points and bars and etc.? I'm hoping to fish reno this coming sat. only if the weather cooperates. If I happen to make it there I'm easy to spot in probably the smallest boat usually out there.

WALLEYEKING#8,

I was fishing in 12'-16' slipping into 20' every once in a while when fishing by Pelican point. The majority of the fish came in 14'-16' I droped the camera down and saw quite a few walleyes in the scattered grass and coontail in 10'-12' I tried rigging as weedless as possible and going after them, but the weeds won.

Pelican point is located on the west side of the lake, it's hard to miss, there are ussually pelicans sitting on the rocks.

As far as a good lake map I haven't found one yet. The ones I have seen are pretty vague, They don't even have the access on the SW. corner on them. If anyone has a good map of Reno I would appreciate posting that information so I could purchase one.

I am also thinking about comming down again soon, maybe Monday. Hope this helps.

Good Fishing!

thanks Tour. Pro 175 If I happen to make it there Sat. morning I'll be sure to post how I did and where they were caught. I may try Lake Mary also.

Tour Pro 175 I managed to make it to lake reno yesterday morning. What a beautiful morning on the water. My buddy and I were on the water by 4:30 am. We first tried fishing with slip bobbers and leeches off of pelican point in about 6 to 8ft, no luck. As soon as it was light enough to see where the shore line was we started trolling bottom bouncers and spinner rigs to the north of pelican point. Along that shoreline to the northwest are a few cabins straight out from those cabins we managed to boat some nice fish. caught 14 eyes and kept 6 of them between 16 and 19.5 inches. most came in that 14 to 17ft range. My partner had a real hard time getting any bites until he switched to the same length snell I was using. I used a homemade snell which consists of two orange snell hooks orange and yellow beads two orange and yellow floaters and a yellow spinner blade the snell was about six ft in length and I was using a 1 1/2 ounce bottom bouncer. I also caught a huge crappie there. We tried several other spots before noon and only was able to catch one other eye. well If you get the chance to fish it tommorrow you'll have to let me know how you did. thanks for the info you gave me last week Oh by the way my family and I are planning to spend next weekend up on lake mary hope the eyes are biting then. GOOD FISHING.............

Walleyeking#8,

Glad to hear you guys had some good fishing. I unfortunatly had some remodeling loose ends to take care of. The weather didn't look real promising this morning, I'm thinking of heading down Thursday morning. Thanks for letting me know how you did. If I get out I'll let you know how we did. Good luck on Mary!

Good Fishing!

Walleyeking#8,

Made it down to Reno this morning, fishing was a little slow. We started with live bait rigs and popped a 18" right away, that was it. Switched to spinner rigs, only two small ones. We again switched, this time crankbaits. We boated 7 nice walleyes 17"-22" Not a great day, but it beats going to work!

Good Fishing!

Tour Pro,

Wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing where you had your luck with the crank baits and the time of day? Also, what's the difference between a live bait rig and a spinner rig? I always thought they were about the same except a live bait rig doesn't have a spinner?? Thanks for any info.

Not a bad day at all TourPro175. Those are some nice fish. I haven't tried running crankbaits out there at all yet. maybe next time out there i will try that. Plans have changed for this weekend, the family and I are now going to minnewaska for the weekend from fri-sun. staying at woodlawn resort and camping. heard of it, is this a good place? Well If you do any fishing this weekend, lots a luck to you. GOOD FISHIN' Thanks for letting me know how you did.

Tanseys,

When I mentioned live bait rigs I was refering to a basic lindy rig, a plain 7' snell, I use a chartruse bead on my snell as a attracter, it seems to help down here.

A spinner rig is basicaly the same a 7' snell 5 beads and a spinner blade I usesd gold on this day, I did try five different color combinations.

As far as the crankbaits go, we started pulling them around 9:30 on the N. shore in around 14' I hope your questions got answered. If you have any more just post I would be glad to try and help.

Good Fishing!

Walleyeking#8,

I have never fished Minnewaska in the summer, it does have a good reputation as multi-species lake. Talk to the people at the resort and the local bait shops they should be able to give you the info. you need. I hope you and your family have great time!

Good Fishing!

Thanks for the info. I've had some luck myself trolling the north shore on the northwest side of the lake just outside the pencil weeds in 14-16 feet. What I've been catching has been fairly small though (12-14"). A couple keepers but it certainly looks like the smaller generation of walleyes will be good for a few years too.

Walleye_8, as for Woodlawn Resort I believe you'll be almost right across the street from Torgy's on Minnewaska. Always a good byte in there ;> ) There are some big pike in that bay near the landing and sunnies outside Hunts resort docks. Also crappies out along the rocks past the end of the landing parking lot. If you continue south along that shore, from where the Lakeside ballroom burnt down all the way to the public beach it's a good area for all varieties of fish. Smallmouth, sunfish, walleyes and northern. You'll see some gulleys where water empties into the lake, fish outside of those gullies and you should have some luck with sunnies and northerns. Fish outside the beach for some possible walleyes or smallmouth. Good luck and let us know how you do. I'll be up on Reno starting this weekend and staying for the whole week.

Any new reports from Reno today? I plan on trying it tomorrow with my dad and uncle. thanks for the reports guys.

~juddfish

Unfortunatly I didn't get a chance to get down there today, to much to do around the house. I think if you read through the past post you should be able to apply some of that information tommorrow and have some luck.

Good Luck!!!

Am looking at going to Reno for the first time this weekend. Was curious as to the bite this week if anybody has any info. Since this is my first time, directions with names of points of interest would be good as I will not know what you are talking about mentioning something by name. I have heard rumors of a good crankbait bite. Does this go into the day hours or is Reno more or less an early morning late evening lake like a lot of others in the area. Any info would be appreciated, depths, locations, times, etc.

------------------
Gerty

I myself haven't been up there for a week and a half but someone I know was there a couple of days ago and did fairly well. There are two accesses that I know of, one on the east side and one on the west. I always use the west side to unload. If you look back at this post you can find some tips on what to use and where to fish. I haven't use raps out there at all yet this year. Depending on what time you are planning to start, I would try lindy rigging first with a crawler or leech and a bottom bouncer( 1 1/2 ounce ) in about 14-16 ft. If your unloading on the west side you can start either direction, south or north and work the weed edges until you locate some eyes. As far as trolling raps I would start the same way. Good luck fishing and I hope this will help!

gerty,

Welcome aboard,

I'll address the crankbait question first. I never started the day of with this presentation first, but I don't know why it wouldn't work early. It is a great way to contact active fish. When I was down there I found pockets of active fish and it was more efficient to work these fish over with live bait rigs, {7' snells 1/4-3/8 oz slip sinkers chartruse bead} as the day wore on and I couldn't find these active schools I switched to crankbaits and started to cover some ground and the fun began.

If you land at the west access go sraight across the lake to the N. shore there are two groups of pencil reeds hundreds of yards apart. This is as good of an area to start as any. work the 14' depth, I was using a #5 jointed shadrap, the original color scheme on 10# fire line I tried different colors and found this one to work very well. as far as speed 1.8 is what I had my best luck with the last time I was down there. this is subject to change, as water warms try increasing your speed and you may need to try a little deeper. the above mentioned is just a starting point for you, experiment a little and you will find what works.

Spinners are another good option down here, with gold, silver and chartruse color schemes working well.

As far as areas to try, the Pelican point area is close to the W. access it is located just N. of the access. It usually has pelicans on it and is hard to miss. Work the 14' TO 20' depths almost down to the N. shore. This is a good spot for live bait rigging or pulling spinners, I have never had any luck pulling crankbaits through here, I don't know why? There is also a point just as you come out of the W. access to the East, this is another easy spot to find and holds fish. Also pay attention to the wind, in my expierence down here wind is a huge factor as where to find active fish. Early this year we had a huge SW. wind and found walleyes stacked in 10' of water in the NE. corner of the lake. There is a resort on the E. shore with a nice break, this might be a spot to try as well. It is a big lake with lots of good spots, these are just a few but good places to start. Best of luck to you! Let us know how you did.

Good Fishing!

Walleyeking #8 and Tour Pro 175,

Thanks for the info. I will be sure to get back on and let you know how we did. Hopefully the weather will hold and we will get a good day to fish. Thanks again.

------------------
Gerty

Wanted to let you know that my plans fell through and I won't be there to test out Reno on Saturday (26th). Thanks for the info though and when I can use it in the future I will let you know how I did.

------------------
Gerty

Gerty its to bad you weren't going this weekend a buddy of mine and I are planning to be there early sat. morning. Even if he doesn't go I will be going, weather permitting. I'll have to let everyone know how I did sat. night. TourPro175 I was wondering are there any northerns or muskies in reno? All the times I've been there I have never caught a northern. If anyone is planning to be there this sat. we will be in my buddies Lund Angler 17', 40hp yamaha, green colored. Hope to see some of you there sometime. Good Fishing!!!!!!

I was on Reno Sunday and fishing was pretty slow. We boated a bunch of small eyes only caught 2 keepers. But we did catch 2 northerns on a spinner and leech. The northerns were around 2lbs. We thought it was strange catching 2 because I didnt think there were many in the lake. As far as muskies go im pretty sure there isnt any.

Walleyeking#8,

juddfish is correct, there are no muskies in Reno. There are however some very nice pike and these I caught while trolling crankbaits for walleyes. Good luck down there this weekend. I will be spending the weekend celebrating my wedding anniversary #8!!!

Good Fishing!

Well just returned from lake reno, what a beautiful morning up until the wind picked up. Fishing was tough but I managed to catch a few, caught and released a nice 27" eye in about 23'. Might be going again tomorrow morning.

Spent the week on Reno last week and fishing was pretty tough. Biggest surprise I had was catching northerns in 25' of water on lindy rigs tipped with leeches. Walleyes were few, with plenty of rock bass those state record bullheads but the 5 lb northerns in 25 ft of water surprised me. Started targeting sunfish and mainly concentrated on the northwest part near the pencil weeds after hearing of some recent success in that area. Only managed a couple though.

My kids love catching sunfish, but unfortunately I haven't found a good spot on Reno for sunfish as of yet. Anyone know of a decent spot to catch sunfish on Reno?

tanseys:

Unfortunately Reno is not a very good sunfish lake. The absense of structure makes the lake not ideal for bluegill habitat in terms of numbers. Don't get me wrong the size is good, but the chances of catching a nice limit is not very good. There are a lot of other lakes locally that are very good panfish lakes, namely Mary and Minnewaska where we have had good luck pulling up panfish in the winter through the ice. Everyone remembers the winter of 2001-2002 where Minnewaska was a city on ice, but due to the high pressure it was not as good last winter.

Good Luck!

SUNNYD

Headed for reno tomorrow morning was wondering if anyone has any reports on the fishing there? Last sun. morning two buddies of mine and I went there and fishing was real tough. Only managed to catch 3 eyes, one decent and the other two small. The only thing good about the day fishing was the boat I got to fish in. My buddy has a 17.5ft lund pro V tourney series with a 175 yamaha 4 stroke, boy can it move. One other question I have is, has anyone ever caught walleyes suspended in the real deep water out there? Planning on fishing reno early morning till noon and then heading for lake minnewaska to try some fishin there. Would appreciate any reports on reno. GOOD FISHIN!

TG,

Yeah, this is your nephew. Never been up there and never got to go on the trip that I had planned. the info from everybody was nice though. Maybe I'll get to use it this fall on our annual trip to Miltona.

------------------
Gerty