• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How has the rain effected fishing?

Just wondering if anyone has got a chance to go out.I am planning to head out this weekend and give it a try.

Thanks
Bird Dog

Lake levels are way up...18 inches to two feet or more on the chain. that can really change patterns. with the runoff, one can look to fish the mudlines and current areas around the inlets. this runoff will also cause a bit of an algae blume, clouding the water a bit. another pattern to consider...big fish moving deeper than usual summer haunts. could be turnover, thermocline related, or just moving to higher O2 areas...avoiding the runoff. take your pick but be versatile in your approach.

good luck...and watch out for debris...the wash has really stirred things up, and there's lots of logs/stick/junk floating out there...

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Was out and fished just after the rain on wed.
The gills and crappies were suspended over deep water with there noses up.
The pike and bass were plentiful in the deep weeds 10-12' slowly trolled spinners.
The walleyes were in 14.5' of water. Not 14 and not 15. Very tight to the break and to the bottom. Seen a faint line on the vex so dropped the camera down and there they were. Jigged over them and got afew. The key was getting over the top of them and fishing vert. we had trolled over them many times with no takers.

Good Luck and yes watch out for floating objects

Well I guess in reading here it doesn't pay to put up a seperate post. I figured that things would be rather mixed up after all the weather. The plan is to be up Wed. night. Like always I'll be chasing eyes on Ida and possibly getting over to Miltona to go after some skies. Haven't been out affter them yet. Does it pay to bring the gear along? Hopefully the weather levels out for a while. Any updates for the area would be greatly appreciated. G-man how did the running pan out for you? Are you going to be around the shop this weekend? I'm not aware of meeting you in the shop yet. Take Care all.

WW

Oh almost forgot. I've got a buddy that is camping out on Villard lake I believe. From what I can tell that seems like a small "bowl" type lake that seems to be chuck full of sunnies. It looks like it is connected to I believe Amelia lake which appears to be deaper and more structure. He (and his father-in law) would like to get out after some walleyes or bass. Anyone know anything about these lakes? If I can get down there I will only have one morning to give to them for fishing so could really use some help on where to start. Can I get into Amelia from Villard? Thanks for any info.

WW

I grew up fishing amelia villard and leven lakes. all are good for panfish and bass. i think amelia even has a decent walleye population. the bluegill fishing on villard and leven lakes was excellent when i was growing up. one of the resorts on villard lake has a private access on leven lake which offered some of the best shore fishing for bluegills that i have ever seen. if i remember right on the south west corner of villard lake there is a channel that should allow passage between villard and amelia, but i would make sure it is deep and wide enough for your boat before attempting to pass through. if nothing works on any of these three lakes, minnewaska is close by, and there seems to always be something biting there.

We ended up with a couple of eyes,that came out of 15' on leeches and plenty of small northerns.The Crappies were up towards the surface in about 6 feet of water,if we would of had some small poppers they would have worked well.

Bird Dog

WW,

I don't have any personal experience on Amelia, but I have a reliable source that did very well on the walleyes there earlier this spring. His key was trolling the shallows after dark - although I'm sure that pattern has changed by now. Sorry I don't have any better updated info. Regarding the weekend of the 4th (or anytime after), if you're interested and want to go Esox hunting (without trailering the boat)let me know and we can meet up. I'll send you some contact info. if interested. I'm usually out "hunting" alone and you're obviously very close. My walleye rods are pretty much retired for now until the fall in favor of the Esox Gear. Anyway, just a thought if you're ever interested.

Scott

WW...running went very well, thanks! will do it again next year...

Anderland...I'll be around Miltona this weekend too, when I can get away from the shop...

you can get my cell # from the shop, or drop me an email:
[email protected]

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Anderland,

I have caught a couple of muskie while walleye fishing in Canada. Now muskie fishing has caught me. Came to the Alex area from Willmar last fall to fish muskie. Would like to fish with someone that knows the area. If you are interested in fishing with me send me a post here. Thanks. Ron

Ghotierman, somehow I managed to miss your post...sorry. Although I did make it into your store on Saturday morning for some musky fishing line and a new rod-tip,one of my walleye rods that I somehow dismantled up in Ely. The guys in the store were great and the rod looks like new, thanks!

Anyway, without a question I would have called had I seen the message in advance. WW, same situation - not much fishing done on my part either due to holiday circumstances. I did manage to fish Saturday evening with a friend from Long Prairie. We fished from 8:30 PM to to 1:30 AM with only one nice musky follow right at sunset. Obviously, it's impossible to accurately know about follows after dark so who knows. With the weather being so nice, and no wind I guess it didn't surprise me. Oh well, more favorable conditions will happen any day! Chemfish, It would be fun to fish together if we get the chance. We'll be in touch.

Scott