• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Going up to Ida, any info will be much appreciated. Staying for a week on the east end of lake. Looking mainly for eyes and crappies.

I have had some success slipbobber fishing the edges of the rock bars in the evening hours before dark. If you don't mind sorting out the bullheads. I've also had success with weedless jig and minnow/leach pulled thru some of the emergent vegetation found in the bays.
Ida is a fun lake to fish.
Good luck.

RAM,
Check out the post labeled "walleyes". Chances are I will trying some of the same things come the 4th. Next make sure you get yourself a good map. I'm sure ghotierman can hook you up at his shop. I'll be there Wed night (3rd) through the weekend. May be trying to pitch some weedless jigs tipped with plastic (shadtails, worms, etc.) into the submerged weeds on underwater points. Chances are I will be over on Miltona for a day or so chasing muskies. Can't help you out too much with the crappies. I don't get after them too much that time of year.

Fishmobile is right. I really enjoy fishing Ida. Maybe see you on the water. Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on being on Ida from July 27 to Aug.2. Since Camp Omaha closed I'm heading to the other end of the lake this year. Any suggestions for the best walleye spots on that end of the lake? I know this will be the heat of the summer (I fish Ida the same week every year.)and normally I use a 6 foot leader with #6 bait holder and troll slow. At first bite I usually release line for a count of 6 seconds or so but in the past I still seem to be getting too many misses. Any suggestions on setting the hook on these finicky "eyes"? Should I change my presentation?

Welcome to the forum Eekhoff! You where at Camp Omaha huh. We are just a stone throw away from that. Up through the two points and in the bay (Schwab's Bay?) If you dig into some of the past posts you will see that I spend a great deal of my time on Ida. I take it that you are up on the North part of the lake now (Betsy Ross?). The thing with Ida is that there are so many little nooks and crannies that the eye's might be hanging out in. I've been fishing Ida for about 9 years now and every year come up with new spots. I'm not really around Ida the end of July/1st part of Aug. and know that I won't be up there when you are this year. I usually am up around the Leech Lake area chasing muskies but I try to help out as much as I can.

Hopefully you will catch a couple of days of steady weather/wind. I would fish inside turns and points that have been receiving the wind. There are a couple of deep sunken islands in the middle of the north part of the lake as well as along the "T" bar (straight out from the island with the big wood house on it). I should get to the official map names of things more instead of making up names myself for things, oh well. I'm sure you have a map. Take a look at it and you should be able to see the area that I am talking about. The one has a decent deep flat area that is rather weed free that I have been able to catch a couple on top with spinner rigs, but typically live bait rig and go slow. My usual set up is a 6-8' snell behind a 3/8 or 1/2oz. slip sinker (depending on wind and depth) with sometimes plain hook or sometimes a colored hook.

That time of year I would have the big three for bait in the boat, leeches (if you can get decent ones), crawlers, and redtails (if you can get them then). I usually start off bumping the weed edges and work my way down the break. Sometimes the fish are on the weed edge other times they are at 35+ ft. down the break. All depends. You have to do some searching (and be there at the right time) to set up a pattern. It is amazing how sometimes the little things make a difference. I might catch a fish on an inside turn on some deep structure and you have to get your bait right in where the corner turns in order to get fish. Sometimes all that I am moving over a spot will be 15-20' or so.

Another tactic that I have been studying up on, have tried on a limited basis, but will be trying a lot in the future is positioning the boat out on a submergant veg. point/sunken island and pitch mushroom jig heads tipped with plastic (worm, shad, etc.) up into and through the weeds. Beginning to seem more of a proven tactic for taking weed eyes especially during the mid-day hours. Ida has many of these areas.

What methods are you trying? Crawlers, leeches or what? I would have to say that regardless of how aggressive the fish are I am giving them more then 6 sec. of line. I usually am using my trolling motor and when I get a hit try to stay as close on top of my weight as possible. Make sure when you reel up the line and feel pressure that you are feeling the fish and not the sinker weight. This turns into a fine science of pulling up enough line to reel up the slack in the line but still not too much as to scare the fish into spitting the bait out. Make sure that if you do throat hook a fish and want to release it or keep it alive in a livewell that you cut the line and leave the hook in. Another thing that I have done when I have experienced a short bite I have tied on an extra hook (trailer) off of my original one and hooked the bait farther back. If you do use redtails/minnows sometimes I've hooked them about 1/4" up from the tail fin. There have been days that this has made all the difference! Well I have rambled on long enough. As I tell everyone on the post I run a blue/tan Lund ProV with a 75 hp Merc 4 stroke on the back. If you see me out there ever just swing on in. Good luck on Ida. Give us a report when you return. Take Care.

WW

Let me try this again... I posted a reply last night and I'm not sure where it went??? I hope I don't double up.

Anyway thanks for the info WaveWacker. You're right, we will be staying at Betsy Ross this year. We've been going to Ida for over 16 years now and have always gone during the same time... the last Saturday in July starts it all.

I grabbed a map and I think I see that T-bar you're talking about. I'll try to load that spot into my GPS later.

Many years ago while fishing Winnie I used a short 5 ft. ultra lite pole with a slip sinker and leech. Come to think of it I had a lot of success with that outfit... maybe I'll try that again at Ida. I normally use leeches and crawlers but I'm curious about your mushroom jig tactic. What weight jig would you recommend?

In past years I've always spotted big fish suspended over deep water on Ida. Usually suspended at the 30 to 35 foot level. I'd like to think these are Walleye but I'm not real sure how to fish them. Since I'm there only for a week I don't have a lot of time to experiment with new things.

If you should happen to be around I'll be in an Alumacraft Classic 16 with a Merc Classic 50 on the back. I'll usually be one of the first boats on the water in the morning and one of the last ones to leave and I usually catch up on sleep when the week is over... and I get back home!

E...You've got way more years under your belt then I do. You should be able to see the "island" on the map. Only connected to land by a private bridge. The leg of the T starts at the island, runs out basically east and then branches N and S. I've picked up some eyes. Along the break of the Top of the T (east side). Sometimes the N part has been better. The mid lake islands are east from there.

As far as for the weights. I am still in the experimental stage. Possibly some one else would know more (Ghotierman?) I've read, watch videos, and tried myself anywhere from a 1/8 oz. tipped with a plastic worm to a 3/4 tipped with a sassy shad type swim bait and everything in between. I like to think that the 1st technique allows the bait to slow sink/flutter down threw things and the heavy weight is needed with the shad type baits in order to get a rapid fall to "thump" the tail. Like I said I am still experimenting with things. Good Luck!

Eekhoff,

Betsy Ross, eh? We'll be up there in a week - I'm counting the days! I've been staying at Betsy Ross for the last 20 years (had a break of about 4 years in there). I don't get out on the big lake very often, mainly because I can fish the "bay" and get better results.

A couple of spots that I can think of off hand in the bay (I believe they call it little Ida) are as follows:

Walleye: In front of the rock bar (the signs come out from the point - this is the access from little ida to the big lake). About 70 yards perpendicular to the rock bar. There's a circular area that runs from 20' to 35'. There's a few bumps where the Walleye like to sit. My best luck through there during mid or late July is fast trolling a bomber Rapala. Usually bettter in the early morning, or evening. Towards night, the walleyes move up to those rocks. I've picked them up on leech or casting a rapala or a daredevil. You can find Pike through this area as well. If you're into the night fishing, there's a beautiful spot big enough for about one boat in the middle of this run somewhere. I always have a very tough time finding it, as it's so small. In the middle of 25' of water, there's a small rise that will come up to about 18'. The eyes flock to this at night.

Northern/Walleye: Directly in front of the resort is another spot. I usually pull more Pike through here, but the eyes can be active as well. Again, for the mid-late July, I fast troll a bomber. This run is bigger than the one above, so you don't have to turn quite as often. If you hit the 35' area of water heading from this spot towards the spot out in front of the rocks, you've gone too far. Only 40-50' water between the two spots, and I've never caught a thing there. You'll know the limits on the other side of this run, as you'll get up into 7' of water.

Crappies: If you're facing the lake from the cabin, follow the shore to the right. There's a little box cabin (brown or orange ir I remember) down near the shore. Straight out from that cabin in about 14' to 18' of water.

The "T" that was mentioned above near the island is a decent spot for the walleyes too.

Bass: Just about any of the reeds produce bass, but the best bass I've seen taken out of Ida have come from the meathole. This can be found on the backside of the island. You'll only want to go there on a quiet day - there are a TON of stumps and brush to navigate through. I've seen many guys lose a prop back there. Use a trolling motor if possible. Last year one guy pulled a pair of twin bass that were pretty nice. (Picture of one of them can be found at http://www.hrubes.net/gallery/LakeIda/aak

We're heading to to Ida on Saturday just to warm up the waters - if you want a report when I get back, just let me know! If you want more deatiled spots, shoot me an email at [email protected].

Have Fun!!

[This message has been edited by mnhrubes (edited 07-03-2003).] - Fixing formatting erros.

[This message has been edited by mnhrubes (edited 07-03-2003).]

mnhrubes...

Great info on Little Ida. Like you I've always had such great success on the south end of Ida that I really didn't need to spend much time up north. In fact of all the years fishing on Ida the only time I headed to the area you're talking about was last year. All my kids were up for the weekend so I rented a pontoon for a few hours and cruised the lake. I thought then that this area was worth checking out.

I'll definately try to find the 18' rise you're talking about. A quick look at the map shows the circular area that you're talking about but that small rise isn't on the map I'm looking at but I have other maps that I'll check later.

We have fishing friends that we met at Camp Omaha and They will be joining us at Betsy Ross. He is an avid bass fisherman... in fact I think he's mentioned the meathole that you're talking about and has had equal success. Do report back on your weekend at Ida... I'll send you an email later this evening for more details.

[This message has been edited by Eekhoff (edited 07-03-2003).]

No great news to report from my day trip to Ida. The goal was to be on the water by 9am. Being the first time out this year, I should have known better, and started my trip at 1am, instead of 6am. Hooked the trailer up to find the break lights didn't work. Looked at the license plate, and found my tabs were expired. Ran to Walmart to look for replacement bulbs - and my lights magically worked again. Found the tabs at home, and I was on my way. Put the boat in, and worked for an hour and a half to get the engine started (guess they *really* winterized it!) Had a couple of guys helping me with motor, and electrocuted one of them (mental note to self - don't be in the water, holding onto the motor casing when engine is turned over and spark plugs have been removed!). Thank you to the two nameless guys that helped me get my boat going!!!

Finally on the water around 2pm, only got one northern in 2 hours of fishing, along with a few small bass, and one crazy, and HUGE, pumpkin seed that thought he could swallow a deep diver rapala. 2pm-4pm isn't ideal fishing hours, though, so we'll hope the luck is better next week when I'm up!

Kel, I emailed you off list with the spots I know of. If you need more help (or anyone wonders about little ida spots), shoot me an email!

My day finished off with me forgetting to raise my motor when I pulled the boat out. Only dragged it for about 3-4 feet, but it was enough to make me sick. Didn't look like any damage to it though.

I love the first time out each year. :-P

Good luck all!

Report from the 4th weekend:

Fishing was better then I would have expected with the storms that came through. Didn't do as much fishing as I would have liked but managed to put a couple eyes in the boat everytime that I went out. Majority of them where 15-18". Did release a 22 and a 25.5". Majority of fish came off of deeper mid-lake humps (tops around 25+ ft.). Did get out to Amelia on Friday and caught a couple there as well. How was the weekend for you Anderland (anyone else)? Sorry, but didn't have any time to break away. Take Care all!

WW

Thanks guys for all the info, leaving this Saturday. Can't wait to get there. Hopefully all this info will make my fill. Thanks again.

I'll be there July 12th thru 19th. We are staying at Bighorn Bay. I believe it's on the west end of the lake. I'll be cruising around in a white and blue Smokercraft. 70 hp on the back.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi...

Just a quick follow up on my week at Ida.

Overall the walleyes were a little slow for me. I caught a couple 2 1/2 pounders early in the week on a hump/bar north of pilgrims point. A lot of fish were showing here but they were very light on the bite. My daughter grabbed a 3 1/2 pounder last Friday on a hump just west of the point. This area also produced some nice large mouth bass around the 2lb. size. I didn't fish the weedlines much as I couldn't keep the sunnies and bass off the line. Although most of my time was in pursuit of the walleye the bass and sunnies seemed to love the deep water. I used leeches and crawlers.

I pretended to be a guide for a couple of hours while 3 family members fished... They had a contest and boated over 28 bass and sunnies in just a few hours time. So overall we caught a lot of fish... but most of the elusive walleyes will live to tell another tale!

[This message has been edited by Eekhoff (edited 08-05-2003).]