• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Le Homme Dieu Chain - Bass Report

Just wondering if there is any information about the chain and lake temps exhibited on some of the lakes on it, and i guess what the general concensus the bass are in. from the other threads out there, sounds like the bass were in teh prespawn mode over the past weekend, and may be on beds soon? just wondering. I would imagine the smaller lakes are farther along still. Just wondering!

catchin'

Bass fishing on the chain is a numbers game, but the bigger females are a little more difficult to find. I've been out there and seen very few beds, and those fish on them are small males. I'm not exactly sure what the temps are because my gauge is broken, but I'd say we're still in a pre-spawn pattern. Those fish should be moving up here pretty soon though if we get some good warm weather.

I was fishing Geneva, Le Homme Dieu and Victoria last weekend. Le Homme Dieu was the warmer water. The water temps were between 58 and 60. I was walleye fishing with moderate success so I cannot help much with the bass but I hope the temps help.

CATHIN'
HAD OUR FIRST WED. NIGHT BASS LEAGUE THIS WEEK. ALL 23 TEAMS HAD 4 FISH LIMIT. HEAVY BAG WAS 12+ LBS. MOST TEAMS WERE IN THAT 7-8 LB.RANGE. I KNOW MOST OF THE FISH APPEARED TO HAVE SPAWNED! I SAW SOME NICE FISH STILL ON BEDS BUT REALLY SPOOKEY AFTER A HOLIDAY WEEKEND. WE HAD 8.39 LBS AND ALL OUR FISH CAME OUT OF DEEPER CABBAGE. MAYBE BY NEXT WEEK THE "MOMMIE'S" WILL BE READY TO BITE! GOOD LUCK

------------------
AGA
Alexandria Guide Association
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Thanks for the responses, good to know the water temps too! It's a start, anyone else have anythign to report? i am thinking of getting up there this weekend!

Wow, that sounds pretty good too, thanks firen! fish must be just moving on and getting off asap after spawning. the fronts that have been moving through this week must have made them a little nervy!

[This message has been edited by catchin'whopper (edited 06-05-2003).]

I was out on the chain yesterday and it looks to me like most bass are done spawning. Funny, but just last week I would have said it was prespawn. Guess a little time on the water changes things.
Anyways, still plenty of small males up shallow. Got one big fish up shallow, but for the most part the bigger ones are gone. Seems like a postspawn bite right now. Have to really work for any of the bigger fish. Anyone else been out?

Fisherman50, I agree most of the chain has seen the spawn, with the exception of Carlos. I found bedding fish there on Sat. I was on a smaller lake up in the Fergus area today and found most of the bass still on beds, with the crappies just starting.

------------------
Wayne
Agape Fishing Guides
www.agapefishingguides.com

Not to argue as i have yet to be up there, but don't crappies typically move in to spawn a couple weeks before the largemouth? maybe i am wrong and have not seen the beds, but i guess that has been my experience over the years.

Anyone got any updates on bass fishing the chain lately? Anyone fish the Wednesday night league got a report? My wife and son and I will be heading up there on Saturday for a week of bass and northern fishing. This will be only our second time on the chain. Last year we were there in mid august. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect so our time will be more productive. Thanks, wayner

I am wondering the same, i will be up there this weekend with my brother alphid. any reports would be great, i will be sure to report my findings when i get back sunday night or monday as usual. Thanks in advance.

Catchin'

wayner, whopper...2nd wednesday night league last night. 19 team, all with 4 fish limits. Average was about 8lbs. Big bass was a 4.32 smallie, this team also had big bag...12.5lbs on four fish (two smallies, two largemouth) There's a good bit goin...surface temp on LeHommeDieu near wharf bay was 65+ degrees. A lot of aggressive males caught...bigger gals may be recovering deeper...post spawn. A few on nest on Carlos. As it warms up, they'll transition back up to summer habitat. Skirted jigs, jig-worms bounced around the cabbage seem to be the productive ticket.

Try spoons or inline spinners for pike.

good luck this weekend..

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Ghoiterman,
Thank you for the informative information, this really helps. with the number of lakes on teh chain, those fish can be in different stages realted to spawn. i am looking forward to getting some of those males for action, adn then if i "get bored" with that, slow down some and look for those females. are the smaller lakes on the chain (Geneva, Victoria, Cowdry, brophy) in better late season shape where hte fish have moved past the spawn do you think? sounds ike you saw more concentration on homme dieu and carlos. i wonder what Darling's reeds are looking at then, if those fish are spawning. well, i guess i will find out.

That wednesday league is really intriguing and sounds like a blast, i am jealous.

With being up there, i will try to stop by NE outfitters to say hi and thank you and fill y ou in on my success. Again, thanks.

Catchin'

Thanks ghotierman for the info! We'll give it a try. We'll be sure to stop by the store as well. What are your Sunday hours? Looking forward to a great week! I can't wait!

Was out there this weekend both days, despite the crappy weather. fished carlos and darling on saturday, lehomme dieu on sunday.

saturday: water temps about 60-61 degrees adn we were fishign post spawn bass like people have mentioned on this post. Reports from other people we were with was that they were catching very many 12-15" fish thursday and friday when the weather was nicer, but that changed over the weekend. The males taht seemed all over the shallows adn active were not, and i seemed to get them on green watermelon 4" tubes and senkos. thanks for the tip frmo some dude at NE Outfitters. Othter people seemed to get some on small cranks or prerigged worms, but no real biggies. oh, the depths we were fishing were 5-10 feet, concentrating a lot of time on teh western side of darling , just west of arrowhead, and that huge flat there. fish seemed to be at bases of the cabbage that resides there.

Sunday: strange weather again, the day consisted on bright sun in the morning, clouded over, some more sun then, a few sprinkles with wind change, then some sun again. the fish seemed to get active some suring the different weather moving in and out. the day consisted of catching fish in 6-10 feet on tubes (watermelon seed) and pop-r's when the fish got active, waht a treat. people in my club got fish on spinnerbaits as well which i missed out on or the fish in my spots weren't going for them. oh well.

let me know if you got any other questions, i will be happy to share the information i learned this weekend. Thanks Ghoiterman for the tips and whatever employee (sounded young) mentioned green for lure color. Gave me enough success this weekend to salvage teh poor weather!

Catchin'

You're very welcome, catchin....sounds like enough action to balance the weather for you...hope you can make it up again...maybe even hop in on a wednesday nighter...(or there's a tuesday night league as well...)

good luck..

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598