• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hoss...shiners were the ticket this past weekend...local tourney with 22 teams boated 69 fish with a couple 7 pounders. Trolling crankbaits at dusk into the evening along the shallows (6-8 feet) has been productive too. Reno is a shallow bowl of a lake...not a lot of structure to it (think of a very small mille lacs) there are a few points along the breaklines you can concentrate on...otherwise, long line a husky jerk or #5 shad rap along the shoreline.

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Thanks for the info guys, anybody else have any more? I will for sure fill you in on friday.

Just wondering how the bite has been on Reno the last week. I am going out tomorrow evening and have never been on the lake for open water season. Any particular areas or baits?

Thanks,

Hossienda

Check the back page of the sports section in todays star-tribune. I can't remember what they said exactly, but there are some hints in there about Mary and Reno.

Yep, Reno is officially "Burned".

I've had some of the most incredible times of my Walleye fishing "career" on Reno and they are nothing more than a fond memory.

Which lake in the area will become the next Reno? Lake Mary was "it" prior to Reno, Victoria before that.

It makes me sick to see the all of the garbage left in this lake after a weekend of SLOB ice fisherman or from the border jumpers taking everything that bites and leaving their trash for us to clean up.

We'll just have to wait about 5-6 years for Reno to "fix" itself and then we can sneak back there occasionally for a hopefull replay of days gone-by grin.gif

------------------
Chells

Well, it was an interesting evening to be sure. Got to the landing just before the storm rolled in, and there was a gentleman who was loading his boat and locked his keys in the truck.
Had just enough room to launch the boat, thankfully it was a small boat, and fished till 9 and one of the guys caught about a 2lb. bullhead.
Later on, trolled raps for about 3 hours and we boated 8 eyes between 15 and 23 inches, and lost several others.
So all in all, not a bad evening. I would definitely try it again.

Doesnt sound too shabby actually.. that is if your not tellin a fish tale!! lol i think thats the best report ive heard off reno for at least a year to tell you the honest truth..

Ya CD- im thinkin 1 over 17" wouldnt bother me any.. id also like to see the walleye limit reduced to 5 or maybe even 4, and the northern limits increased. look at north and south dakota, they have bigger northern limits and walleye limits that are similar to your, but they fish year round and still have a quality fishery out there.. theres gotta be something we can go to improve fishing here in our state

------------------
Practice Catch & Release ---> The Future of Fishing Depends on YOU

I have to agree with CD as well. There would be nothing wrong with a slot limit to give some protection to the walleye population.
I have a cabin up in Perham on Little Pine that has a new slot, anything 18"-26" has to go right back. Hopefully over the next several years it will pay dividends. However, it was fun to fish last nite, just would have liked to see the 2 that got off my buddies line. Oh well, guess we'll see how things shake out, but hopefully on the side of better fishing.

I don't think that lowering the walleye limit would have that much of an impact. How many guys go out and get a limit anyway?
But I agree that something's gotta be done. I like the idea of slot limits. Look up in Detroit Lakes where the DNR put slots on 2 lakes for northerns. Now those lakes, Sallie and Melissa, have pretty decent sized northerns.
I really don't know. I always throw everything back – and I think selective harvest is sort of gaining popularity – but there are too many big fish being taken out.
I'd encourage a graphite mount. Then you got the best of both worlds.

I agree. 2 years ago a buddy and I met at Reno because it was meeting place for us to fish. That lake was insane. Walleyes would bite all day long.
Now it's taken a beating. Fish can be caught, but nothing like the good 'ole days. Lots of big fish in there that need to stay put. Catch and release should be #1 for any fish over 17" IMHO.

Ease up on the personal attacks, please!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Hey Gogblon, if you know so much about Reno and the fish that are being caught, tell me a few things.

Who won the tournament on May 18th on Reno and what did his fish weigh? How many fish, if any did he throw back?

What happened on the tournament on the May 25th?

Where on the lake is Chan's point? Blair Point? Sugars Sands? The V tree? The Red Barn? 1st and 2nd point?

What is Operation Walleye?

Why was the Tri-Lakes Association formed?

Why do call it the Tri-Lakes Assocation?

If you can't answer these, you have not fish this lake very long and have no idea what is going on or near the lake.

But, maybe, you just like to blow smoke and have no idea what you are talking about.

If anyone would like some good info on this lake, I may be able to help. No, I am not an expert. But, I have plenty of contacts who fish this lake.

Thanks for the time.

justme1111,

I'd like to hear some of your info on this lake. I'm familiar with some of the landmarks you mentioned but not all of them. I'd like to become much more knowlegable about this lake.

email me at [email protected].

Thanks,
Pat

Justme...

what makes you the "go-to" person for all information regarding Lake Reno? The fact that you know the names of some tourny fisherman, or made up some really cool names of your fishing spots on reno? how about sundown bay, or windy point...those are some nice names of spots that you could throw in there too. don't bash Gogblon on here for stating how he feels the lake has changed in the last couple years, several fisherman have agreed with him and i do too. The lake is not what it used to be. sure, maybe you can go out and catch a few fish here and there...but not like the good 'ol days.

settle down and ease up on the personal attacks...

Kicker

Come on guys, settle down and relax about Reno. There are about 50 lakes in the Alexandria area to talk about, so why does everyone get so excited about ripping on each other about Reno. This site is about opinions and helping each other to become better at fishing and get more enjoyment out of the activity we all love. No need for the "I know more than you" mentality. Let's keep it nice and helpful around here. Rick and the guys do an awesome job of running this site so don't make it anymore difficult for them to help you out and give you more useful information. Thanks guys.

justme1111,
Tell me more about the Happy Hooker, I used to see him on Reno all the time??
Any info on Reno would be appreciated, Thanks.

e-mail me, [email protected]

Hey "Gog"--I'm sorry you're so angry about this thread--Does everything tick you off?

I'm a "City Guy", does that mean I'm less of a sportsman than you simply by having a different address?

It's obvious a lot of people remarking in this thread have a personal affection for Reno, as you and I do, so try to not take it so personally and you might live longer!

You mentioned in an earlier response that it's the resort owner's who are to blame for the increased pressure on Reno--these are LOCAL folks grin.gif if I'm not mistaken.

All of my friend's (City Folks) practice CPR where ever we fish, it's crucial to this state's fishery, I've seen rampant fish hoggery from the locals who put the knife to everything they catch--please try to be more objective about your "profiling" and let's share our good fishing stories from now on grin.gif

------------------
Chells

I see my post has been deleted from this thread. I apologize if i offended anybody, i didn't mean to. i just thought i could state an opinion and some people could have taken it the wrong way. my bad.

As for fishing reports, nothing good here...just a few fish. nothing outrageous to report.

again, if anybody was upset with my report, i apologize.

Kicker

Hey, Wannaeye, how do you know the Happy Hooker. I knew him very well, personally.

By the way, the tournament on Saturday or memorial day weekend was HOT. It was just under a 4 lb. average for 6 fish that won the tournament. That's right, I believe it was 23 lbs 7 ounces for six fish. Heck fourth place was 21 lbs.

But, some people think this lake is dead and not producing. Maybe it is some people don't know how to fish. Hey, I am not an expert, but with stringer like that coming in, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

If someone would like some info about this lake, lake, let me know. I may or may not be able to help you.

Thanks.

I was going to try to get a cabin on Reno, wanted more land than what I have on Osakis. But if I have to fish with you guys on that lake. I don't think that the little land I have on Osakis is so bad. I thought this was a site that we could get some info on how the fishing was and maybe some pointers on how you are catching them if you are catching them. But it sounds like you guys have serious ego problems. I dont know about you but I like to fish and I like to hear how other people are doing, fishing. I think that I can speak for others that we don't want to read about people arguing with other people on how they know more than the next guy that they haven't even met. I thought that is why we get married.
Good Luck Fishing

Okay Fishinfilth, you managed to get your SLAM in too.

I vote to close this Thread and let's all go fishing... grin.gif

------------------
Chells

Justme1111 & Wananeye,
I had the opportunity to fish with one of the "Happy Hookers" sons last night. He's happy to hear that the memories of his Dad live on.
FYI
TD

Hey TeeDee, was that Bubba or Ski you went fishing with? Of course there are many more sons, but if I am correct, you probably with one of those.

How did you do?

Just wondering.

Later.