• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Master and Custom GPS map Q's

Well, time for me to get with the latest technology and not rely entirely on Clueless luck anymore.

Hope someone can help me out with a few of my questions.

There was a discussion a while back about the Lake Master maps and how they came out with a package with 250 lakes instead of the 101. Is fishingmn planning on carrying this package in the near future?
Also, if I read correcely, the maps show only 5 foot depth changes (unless I get a Mille or Leech reel bottom - which I won't because I don't fish them exclusively) - do the CUSTOM Maps show better contours than the 5 feet? There are some lakes on the lake master list that fall under the 13,000 acre requirement, and I would be willing to purchase a custom map of a few of those IF it shows better structure/depth etc.. Not to mention some much smaller personal favorite lakes that I may have to order.

Also, does anyone know of any plans for a Rainy/LOW map? If there is, is it strictly in the US side, or does it extend into Canada?

Thanks for your help!

------------------
Clueless - -

The custom maps system uses the DNR maps. Go to the Minnesota DNR site and take a look at a map and that is exactly what you will get. These are not mass-produced because what is the chance someone else will want some of the smaller lakes. As an order comes in, they are each custom calibrated but the original DNR map is what is used. This is not mass-production and this is the reason why you can choose any lake. This is an incredible service.

However, what you will also get is the ability to take this map, upload and download waypoints to a handheld GPS, upload and download tracks to see where you have been fishing or to save a favorite trolling pass, etc.

There is no way to make a business case for the smaller lakes to do the < 5 foot accuracy. A company cannot custom depth sound a lake and then sell one map for a few dollars and make up for the thousands of dollars this would cost to depth sound each lake.

The custom maps are a great way to help you cut down on driving around lakes for hours trying to find structure.

The current prices on the site are $19.95 for one, $44.95 for 3. However, FM will be posting another new price point for a large set of custom maps. The price will be a set of 10 for $69.95. Send FM a comment if you would like to order one now.

Forgot to mention the 13,000 acre topic. It is true the Custom Lake Maps doesn't calibrate lakes over 13,000 but there are only approximately 8 lakes in MN that are this large.

There are over 4500 lakes in Minnesota the DNR has maps for so that leaves 4492 left that can be calibrated. Choose the lakes you wish, and Custom Lake Maps will provide them for you. You won't find anyone else who will do this for you. Try it, you won't be disappointed. Don't pay for 250 maps if you are only going to use 3 or 4. Buy the maps you want.

Also, if the service determines that a lake map is too old and out of date from the DNR they will verify this for free and refund your money if they are not confident in the quality of the end result.

Thanks for the replies Kirsch. The reason I asked about the custom map contours is because I couldn't find any information as to if they were 5 foot or 1 foot depth changes on the custom map change.

Do you know if there are plans to have a map of LOW or Rainy? Even if they were in sections much like the maps are we buy - Northwest, southeast etc...

Also, does FishingMinnesota plan to carry the 250 lake package? if not, I will buy elsewhere, but would rather support this site.

Thanks again!

------------------
Clueless - -

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Everything that Lakemaster offers is automatically included when you order here. It's always the latest model. Sometimes our site doesn't keep up with it.

Rest assured you will get the 255 lakes when you order here.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 04-24-2003).]

No plans on the Rainy or LOW from a Custom Map standpoint. My business is not in the mapping business but instead in the mapping calibration business.

However, if you have purchased a map of a lake aleady (such as a section of LOW) and can scan it into your computer and can get a good quality one page image (8.5 x 11), I can custom calibrate it. This is again if you feel the original map source is of good quality. This is something no other company will do for you. The price per map (per page) is $29.95.

The reason it is higher is I can never resell this map ever again because you own the original and I can't resell because of copyright. There is a lot of work in calibrating a map and I at least want to get a portion of my time paid for. If it is a section right in the middle of LOW for instance, I won't be able to calibrate as there will not be enough distinguishable characteristics to calibrate it.

If this is interesting to you, contact me at [email protected]. This service will evenutally be available on FM as soon as they can get caught up with their updates.

Good Fishing

Kirsch's maps are nice. I had him do a couple lakes in SD that are hard to fish. The coordinates were right on and it is a very useful tool. These are lakes that you will not find on lakemaster. I got to see the map he did of Ottertail also, very impressive.

Lakemaster is still nice if you are looking at their Reelbottom series for lakes such as Mille Lacs and Leech.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Thanks for letting me know Rick. I will definately put in an order.

As for LOW, I was just curious if they would be coming out with something much like they have for Eerie. Thanks rmkrat for letting me know - do you know if it will be real bottom or not? Thats a huge lake to do real bottom for, but I think a lot of people would pay good $$ for it.

Scott - you said Lakemaster is nice if getting the reelbottom series - how are the regular lake maps with the 5 foot contours? I have never seen one on a gps unit before, so this is all new for me. I don't fish either Mille or Leech, so I'm not sure I would need the reelbottom series. I would probably get the Minnesota package and then get a few of my smaller lakes custom mapped.

Thanks again guys!

------------------
Clueless - -

They were trying for the 3 foot contours and I just heard they were pushing for the 1st of June now for it's release.

Great maps and Rick has the best prices.

Lakemaster rep told me they were planning on releasing their version of the LOW maps in about 6 months.

Lakemasters base maps with 5 ft contours are pretty poor. They are a map though. The contours and structure are usually off quite a bit. I beleive they are DNR maps also. I really don't use the 250 lakes offered by Lakemaster. I have found they are so far off that it really isn't worth marking waypoints off the map unless you are just looking for a general area.

The reelbottom maps are impressive and I have found them to be extremely accurate. I have heard a few good things about there proseries maps. These are the maps that Lakemaster is doing now. It was my understanding that most of the lakes Lakemaster is doing on their own will be in 3ft contours now.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Ok, Just a few more questions.

Is Lakemaster doing the 3 foot contours for the 100 or so lakes, or are they just doing it for certain lakes? Are those expected to be more accurate than the 5 foot contour ones are now?
Perhaps the best thing for me to do is just get the 5 or 6 lakes I primarily fish custom mapped to ensure a little more accuracy. But can larger lakes like Cass/Pike Bay be custom mapped? Or should I just wait till June for the new maps?

Sorry guys!
The questions will all end someday... lol

------------------
Clueless - -

Pike Bay is not too large to be custom calibrated but I just checked out the DNR map for this lake and it doesn't seem very detailed so with what you have indicated in previous threads, I wouldn't recommend having this lake custom calibrated.

Cass is one of those lakes that is above 13,000 acres limit, but I have done both North Cass and South Cass. They are two seperate maps and have been calibrated adn would count as two maps.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a little more info for ReelBottom LakeMaps:

They are now mapped in CD-ROM for:
Mille Lacs, Minnetonka, Leech, Gull and White Bear Lake. These are done in 1' contours and are highly accurate.

They are also mapped in waterproof maps for:
Mille Lacs, Leech, Gull and White Bear Lake. These are also done in 1' contours, are highly accurate, even adjusted for the curvature of the earth.

We have a lot of different map info for you below.

Just click here and enjoy.

All I know is, if you fish one of the lakes that's included in the "1-foot contour" list, you've gotta get this software. Been scrutinizing the new maps of lakes with 3-foot contours lately, also, and they're just about as powerful. These LakeMaster 1-foot and 3-foot increment maps remain the best thing out there right now. You'll like the ease of the GPS interface / coordinate download. Slick deal. And worth every penny.

-a friend called Toad

ProMap Series are the 3' contour maps. Very accurate.

The Alexandria ProMap Series-Region #4 lakes include:
Alexander, Big Watab, Carlos, Clearwater, Fishtrap, Le Homme Dieu, Miltona, Osakis, and Sugar.

They all come in the same package.

Each ProMap Series CD-ROM system includes 255 Minnesota ProMap and LakeMaster maps.

Click here and get more information.