• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Late Winter Technique

I have been using a dead stick technique for 2-3 years that I have found very effective for Jan-Febr walleyes. I was on LOW and a guide said the walleye/sauger would not pull down a bobber. We hooked minnows thru the tail so they could struggle upright on lead head jigs on a simple jigging stick. Dropped the jig to right off the bottom, and set the jig stick on a stand so that it just balanced. When the minnow struggles you can see the motion on the balancing rod, when a fish takes the bait and moves away the rod tip will slowly tip downward. Before the rod goes down the hole grab and set the hook.
I use this technique religously late in the season. I have found I can outfish almost any bobber set-up and can outfish most active jigging spoons. Color is an influence but is somewhat lake dependent.
I caught 8 walleyes on Minnewaska last nite using this technique and my bobber rig never moved.
Has anyonee else used this technique much?

StrosLit31

I have use this method before and still do but have notice that you might get more bits but also lose more fish. If you have a bobber rig or maybe a rattle reel set really lightly you can let the fish run with it but on the other hand if you have a pole jigging you need to set the hook right away.

i just use a tiny bobber and light line so they cant feel anything.then at least you can let them take it.i think youll catch alot more fish that way.

StrosLit31

Well i will try both methods out this last weekend out on osakis and let you know how it goes. Most of the fish we always get are on outdoor lines. but you never know when that big one will bite and you set the hook to early and lose it??. talk to ya

You either haven't used it at all or used it incorrectly. It is a much higher percent hookup than any let it run bobber set.

Skeets

Dead sticking works good, there is a time and place for this method, as well as a bobber setup. It really depends how light the fish are biting.

bturck

MLaker: Your method sounds good I am headed to LOW again in a week. I am going to give this a try as another option. I have to take exception with the guides statement that walleyes and sauger on LOW can not pull a bobber down. I've caught a lot of fish with a bobber on the dead stick up there. I don't use a grapefruit for a bobber either. A small Frabill, has worked great. Your techinque has merit and I will certainly give it a shot. Good luck and hang on. Bill

only-eyes

MLaker,there is a time and place for both, but how can you say a dead stick out performs a perfectly balanced bobber set up, there is virtually no resistance, what is there for a walleye to detect. you did say grab the rod before it goes down the hole right? finicky late season eyes won't hit a bobber/set line, but they will pull a rod across the bottom of the fish house, most live bait presentations outperform aggressive jigs presentations late in the year. exception lake of the woods jigs always outperform for me from first ice till the sweet late april bite. i pretty much use the dead stick when eyes are active and crab the bait solid, plus it saves time getting the bait to the bottom. amazing how different people results are. GOOD LUCK

Hey, like you said "a time and place". I just thought I would post this up because it has put a bunch of walleye's on the ice for me when little else works and I've never seen it used locally.

Both bobber and deadstick presentations have their places. I use the tilting deadstick method a lot in my permanent house as it's a camper on wheels (and thus 18 inches off the ice) and you can't see the bobber unless your right over the hole looking down the tubes. This way I know if I've got a bite (hopefully not by losing a pole!), and I avoid too many deep hooked fish.