• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What do you think the Best area Campground and lake are??

Hey guys, Im planning a trip ( or maybe more if all goes well) to the alex area in june and possibly the 4th of july week. We are planning to stay at the lake Carlos state park. Can anyone tell me what this park is like? Or if there are any nicer campgrounds around? We stay in a tent and like to be as secluded and in as wooded area as possible. We also like to fish for sunfish, what would be the best area lake for nice sized sunfish without the circus like atmosphere of the power boats and jet skis? I have heard good things about Mary but is it any better than Miltona or any of the other lakes closer to where we would be at? All help is appreciated.
Thanks, Pete

Lake Carlos State Park is a gem...you won't find total wilderness exclusion (it's a popular state park destination)...but it does offer sites right on the lake (with a nice sandy shore...and tenting sites more remote. Great trail system, too. The beach area is also very nice.

As for fishing sunnies...you'll do well right there on Carlos near the state park...with out too much pleasure craft traffic. It's a big lake and hooke into the Chain of Lakes, so you could travel by water all the way down to Geneva or Victoria for some nice panfish as well (less crowded there too)...or even try Darling. Trailering the boat will get you onto Cowdry or Brophy...or up to Irene (just east of Miltona)...And of course there is Ida and Charlie and Louise all within a few minutes of the state park. You'll have no shortage opportunities for adventure.

Good luck!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Iron Cowboy, like ghotierman said, you can not go wrong with the state park. That time of the year will be busy but not to the point of ugly. And if you want panfish the area of the park is very productive or scoot down to Darling (by water) and fish the east-side pencil reeds for crappies. If you come up stop in at Northeast and they can give you the right locations for a spring panfish bite.

------------------
Wayne
Agape Fishing Guides
www.agapefishingguides.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Iron Cowboy,

I've been staying at that park every year for about the last 30 years or so. Just a real fun place to stay. If you can't make reservations for some reason try to get there somewhere between Sunday and Wednesday. They have some spots saved for first come first serve and we've always had luck getting in by just showing up Sunday morning. By Thursday the weekend crowd starts to show up and it gets pretty tough. Fishing is better on the weekdays anyway - less ruckus from the jet skis and such. Also, if you want any info on fishing the lake e-mail me at [email protected].
Bart

Hey Thanks for the advise guys. So it sounds like its better to stay at the park and fish there compared to driveing to Mary. I have heard a lot of "hype" about Mary being the best all around lake but it sounds like they are all good.. and if it isnt a whole lot better I would rather stay put.
Thanks for the help, Pete

huh? you guys dont think its gonna be a circus on 4th of july weekend!?!?!? your gonna have a heck of a time finding ANYWHERE in the state that isnt a circus on the 4th. seems to be the one weekend of the summer that everyone that has a boat flocks to the lake to lay around and buzz people that are trying to fish. not speaking of carlos- just EVERY lake in general!

ive stayed up at carlos a couple times, and enjoyed it alot. we got lots of walleyes on the lake working the mid lake humps and some deeper water.. never tried for panfish, it was kinda a tough fish the weekend we were there, it was a big bass fishing tourney, so there was alot of big 250's wailing from about 5 am till 3.- that brings up the only problem i had with the campground- where we were, and i dont remember its been a couple years, we could hear every boat that got put in at the landing take off. so those guys that are hardcore and going out at 5 AM....YOU WILL KNOW ABOUT IT!! thats the only real complaint that anyone else from our family had.