• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I just moved to Little Falls and am looking for some help. I was thinking about doing some fishing this weekend and was wondering if anybody has any advise on where to go. I was thinking of maybe heading to Alex and trying for some walleyes. Were would be a good place to start. Depth/area on lake/access/ect. If the fishing has been poor there than any ideas other than that? I am also open to suggestions on crappies. Also, if someone is looking for some company this weekend I would gladly meet someone for the day. sat/sun. Always fishing alone gets a bit old after awhile. I have all the gear, portable house/vex/auger/tackle/ect. Just looking for some company. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

There is a gathering of FM people happening on Lake Minnewaska this weekend. Not far from Alex. and should be fun.

hey if you want i can dang near promise you a limit of sunnies and northers. And you will get a crappie every know and then too. Also cought a 17in lg bass last saturday. Its a private lake so you'd have to go with me. Let me know

Thanks for the info Muchowja, I had read about that in other posts. What type of fish are in Minnewaska? Is this some kind of tournament or just a day of fishing? Tweek. I'm not much into fishing for sunnies. I am really looking to gain knowledge on lakes in the area with walleyes so I can get a jump on the summer fishing. I am planning on heading up to Alexander lake on Sat but may be open to meeting on Sunday to try the sunny thing. Let me know what you think.

Can anybody give me any ideas on where to start looking for walleyes on Alexander? I have a map just wondering where the walleyes hold up this time of year in that lake?

Treeclimber,
Alexandria and Lake Alexander are not very near each other. Try posting on the Brainerd site and they might be able to help you better.

Come summer, the best fishery in the state is right out your backdoor...the Mississippi River. Great smallmouth fishing and Walleyes.

Also, for crappies, look to Little Rock south on Hwy 10.

Walleyes, try Big Birch lake south and west of you. Also Little Birch lake. Both of these have fairly good crappie fishing too.

Hammerem'
Thanks for the info!!
I did post on the Brainerd site but no replys yet.
I have heard the river can be good in the summer. Just wondering where to launch boat, and where to stay clear of as far as rocks ect. go. I lived in the Duluth area and am very familiar with river fishing. Caught a lot of hawg walleyes on the St Louis river.

If I were to go to Birch which one is my best bet now and where would I start looking for fish? Walleyes or crappies doesn't matter. Thanks again.

It's been some time, but for Big Birch, later in the spring try Miller Bay(Don't quote me on the name)? Honestly I can't remember the name of the bay, but there is an access there and I think it's on the southwest side of the lake. It's pretty shallow. Fish the first main drop off outside of the weeds. This will be better in March! Little Birch there are 2 points I would fish. Probably your better bet for eyes. The point out in front of the outlet is great. It's a big sand bar. Work the tip of this. Also, there is a bar that sticks out on a sharp break down the lake on the otherside. This is another good spot. Also all the sharp breaks hold fish on the big part of the lake.
Fish out in front of the access for Crappies. This is a weeded bay that they will go to spawn. Also across the big part of the lake the bay there is good also.

It's been a few years since i've fished the lake but it holds a lot of fish and doesn't get hit nearly as hard as Big Birch. Good smallmouth there too. Don't be afraid to look deep!

Little Rock, go out from the beach access on the north along the east shore. You can find the old river channel. Set up on the break line there away from the crowd in about 14'. Walleyes and crappies(white and black!)

River?
There is an access in Charles Lindberg park. Right in town. It's a good one. There are some big boulders out there and I can't tell you where they all are, but just go slow and you won't find them. Pitch chratruese and or orange rapalas to all shorelines, especially under trees and slackwater. Also had luck drifting and jigging minnows right down the middle.

Hammerem'
Thanks again for the info!! You are a wealth of information. Sounds like you have been around these parts for awhile?
Little Birch may be where I head? I'll let you know how I do.

River?
Can't wait till the spring to give that a try. What do you know about fish consunption this far down stream?

Are you heading out this weekend? Say, if you ever need company for a day on the ice I am always ready to go at a moments notice. Fishing alone gets old after awhile.

Good luck on Little Birch. You will have to let me know how you do.

I don't think there is much of a consumption advisory on that stretch of the river. I wouldn't eat more than a meal a week and probably one a month if you are planning a family.