• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Friend came from Waska this past weekend saying he brought home 12 3-4 Pound eyes. I dont know if he is telling the truth though. Have the big walleyes been bitting that good up there??

They sure were!!!The biggest I heard of was a little over 13 lbs.(Belive it or not) Lots of 7 -8's. Poor Waska got hammered this season.Need more CPR!! Good Luck Jigster

Jigster

I was just curious if you would be willing to share where you and these other people are catching all of these walleyes on minnewaska.

I won't be making it back up to fish waska any time soon but I have fished the lake quite a bit during the open water season and was wondering where you preferred to fish while it's froze up.

[email protected]

Kicker

13 pounds??? WOW!!! Well i guess he was telling the truth then. I also heard that the crappies are starting to bite at waska too we tried for them awhile 2 weekends ago didnt do so great. Good luck out there guys

13 pounds??? WOW!!! Well i guess he was telling the truth then. I also heard that the crappies are starting to bite at waska too we tried for them awhile 2 weekends ago didnt do so great. Good luck out there guys

iceman are you sreious 12 3-4lb eyes, aren't those a little big for the table, or is it just me? the biggest fish i would ever eat is 18", thats it, your talking about 20"+ fish, and that starts tapping into prime egg stock. seriously more people need to start practicing catch and release, not being rude, or starting anything, just one guys concern for our lakes

Yeah, tell your buddy those fish need to be going back to the lake, and not to the table. Sure, it is fun when you catch fish that size, but c'mon eat the smaller ones....

Meat HOOOOOOOs!

Just my thought!
Remember guy cutting up 9LBS Eye on Rainy River...I told him that was too darn big to waste eating it.... he said oh just cuts fillets like slice of bread to make them thinner......

[Name calling is not necessary]

I like med sunnies and crappies and very small eyes and only keep 1 meal at a time.

Last year kept 1 meal! Want fish around for my (2 year old) son to catch and other generations!

Good fishing guys....except for those MHs hope they get stunked!

Peace Max!

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 01-13-2003).]

Big Deal

Minnewaska is a big lake, a lot of walleyes. I know people keep fish to eat, some people keep more than others. He didn't break any laws and doesn't deserve to be slammed for keeping fish. Besides, have you ever met a fisherman that didn't exagerate his catch just a little? Besides me!!! Good fishing to everyone!!

Kicker

I disagree Kicker! That size is the biggest source of reproduction and taking those fish could really hurt a lake. Besides when they start getting to be that size they don't taste as good anyway.

Fish with some common sense!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Skeets (edited 01-13-2003).]

You need to relax fishin4alivin.I will keep fish as little as 12 inches and as big as 25 inches if I am fishing for a meal. I think people should mind their own buisness when they are fishing, who cares what other people are keeping. Fishing is supposed to be fun. If you are not used to catching a lot of fish and you happen to keep a couple 11,12,13 or 28 inch walleyes, who cares. If you do care that much, you should become a "CO" and do something about it.

[Name calling is not necessary Ole]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 01-13-2003).]

Whoever said he ate the dam thing!!Or did I miss something.Maybe it was his trophy catch and he put it on the wall!Personally I would have took the measurements and got a replica,to each his own!Just had to speak my mind.Don't get me wrong catch and release is the way to go!!!!!!!!!!Good Luck and stay dry Jigster

hey ole 1, yes people should mind their own when fishing. but if you haven't noticed fishing pressure is getting to be crazier and crazier every year,if people don't start watching what they keep, and preaching catch and release to other fishermen, fishing is only going to get tougher and tougher.i have witnessed countless lakes that are hot for a couple years, word gets out, crowds come, and the fishing goes down the tubes, but that wouldn't be from people keeping whatever they catch, would it? sure go ahead take 1 or 2 bigger fish for a meal, (i would rather go hungry) its not against the law, but a dozen fish of that size, thats a different story... i am thrilled to see so many people actually setting size standands for the fish they keep/toss back, and would like to say THANK YOU to all the fishermen who do so. ice man05 sorry your friend had to take so much heat for such a common problem on our lakes. GOOD LUCK!

Very true eyes there is a such thing as a lake being fished out when large corwds come on to the ice. I can think of 2 right now Norway and Games lake they both used to be hot for crappies since ppl have been on there constanly for the past 3 years there is not that many fish in there. Yes i agree that a person should throw back small ones and give them more time to grow. But that is just my opinion if ppl want to keep them small go ahead i wont stop you and i doubt andy body else will. Good luck out there guys!!!

I posted this subject in the main forum under Can anyone explain? we have had some good responses on what the norm should be. Ole 1 I disagree, its none of my business to tell you what to keep but is not good business to keep alot of fish like that. I am sure you want to fish your lake in the future and the future depends on how we fish now.

Put your guys two cents in on the main forum but keep the nasty stuff out want to keep it rolling, not shut down

Thanks for setting me straight!!!Dam,now ya got me pissed off.That's all I'm gonna say!Good luck and stay dry Jigster

I was pretty sure I said "If you are not used to catching a lot of fish and you happen to keep a couple 11,12,13 or 28 inch walleyes, who cares"

I never said it's ok to keep dozens of big or small fish, so please don't think that's what I do. I love to fish for walleyes, but usually do not catch that many. When fishin4alivin said someone should be shot for fishing, I got upset. I'm sorry if anyone took my response the wrong way.

I'd say go ahead and keep a couple walleyes in the 3 to 4 pound range - I don't think too many peole would get real upset at that. Keeping 12 is a little bit excessive and maybe even a little greedy. I'd say keep a couple to get your meal and then give your camera a good workout.

FI

I've been keeping track of the commets posted and I'm totally amazed at the jealous fishermen out there. I can not believe anyone would critize someone for keeping a 12# walleye. What a FISH!!!! I hope someday I may be lucky enough to catch such a trophy. How many of you so called experts have ever boated or iced such a fish. If your as wise as you let on then you know that this fish is old and probally would die in a year or may even had perished if it was released. Let's not judge but congradulate this fisherman on a great fish.

Buck-

I think everyone is talking about the guy keeping 12 walleyes between 3 and 4 pounds - that's how I understood it. I highly doubt jealousy has anything to do with it. Catch and Release is a good habit to get into- it's good to see serious fisherman thinking about the future.

FI

I'm with buck. On fish over 30". They are old and are over there prime spawning years, and how long would an 90 year old (or older) handle fighting for there life to get away from an unexpected event. I have no problem with a few eaters taken and eaten, even if it is 13" (12" a little small), just don't over do it (remember daily and possition limit is the same, if you have six in freezer legally you must catch and release). As a rule in my boat all walleyes over 22" get thrown back with possibly a picture taken, if somebody or I catch a 30" I try talking them into throwing it back, may keep it.

It is know that walleye in the 20-27 inch range are prime spawners and can take more stress from being caught.

I feel if a person can keep a 13"er if he releases the prime spawners.

Thats a little over 2 cents worth but my point is have some type of conservation goals in mind fishing, or else don't complain when fishing sucks, DNR can do so much.