• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Fish On

crappies???

Fish On

just heading up there from the citys this weekend for an early christmas and was just wondering where would be a good hole to hit up for some slabs???

ghotierman

lots of choices...some of the bays on Ida...LeHommedieu or Darling, on the chain...biggest slabs have come off Pelican lake near Ashby (16" 17"!) 13" most common.
Right in Alexandria, you could try lake Henry...usually some good perch and crappie action this time of year. Reno also has some nice crappies if you can find 'em, and put up with the walleye crowd. Good reports coming from Maple Lake too...just across the road from Reno...

Good luck....let us know how it goes!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

juddfish

Are they catching any crappies in little mary or pocket?

I fished pocket the other day it was foggy and they bit all day. Not fast but enough to keep a guy interested until about 4 then they really picked up, but the fish got smaller. Bring a good supply of jigs because the hammerhandles will rob you blind. The bluegills didnt bite very good that day, but they were down there nice size and good eating.

Ghotierman,I'm also going to be in Alex. right before Christmas hitting a few lakes and since Henry/Agnes are right in town and wouldn't be to bad a walk for the kids I was wondering if you might give me an idea as to what types of baits and general types of areas I might find the perch and crappie. I'm not asking for your honey hole but any advice would be helpful.I fished them many years ago when the water was kind of greenish. Is it still that way? Thanks

ghotierman

Henry is actually cleaned up nicely...very clear in the winter...we had a low O2 situation and lost a bunch of fish this summer....but it's still a fun lake. I've usually gone off City park...out to about 18 feet or so...more crappie spot to the north from there, I think. City park is only a few blocks from our store.
As for baits....waxies work well...load a kastmaster with a few juicy ones, or even try the glowing nuclear waxies. Crappie minnows or fatheads for the larger ones. There are some big pike cruising there too..so consider a tip up and sucker rig for some big game action...

Weekend after Christmas, Henry is home to the World Ice Fishing Championships...44 teams that qualified through Trap-Attack events will be out trying for a 10 thousand dollar purse!

Good luck...stop in and let us know how it goes!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

we were catching big crappies on osakis.caught at least 10 over 12 inches.

Hey Dodger, So you caught some nice Crappies huh?? Where on the lake did you catche'em?? and what day did you go?? Oh and another thing how deep was the water and what were you using?? Thanks and good luck fishing!!!!

muchowja

They ar having some pretty good luck on blackwell too. My brother-in-law has been having good luck in the mornings.

ghotierman- whats the latest scoop on pelican? i'm thinking about trying it this week-end. thanx.

ghotierman

Pelican by Ashby? or Pelican by Glenwood?

The bite up by Ashby still seems to be going...the crappies run nice size, and last report was that the bluegills were starting to come in...

As for Pelican by Glenwood....marginal ice...stained water...not sure if its a good bite....spoke to a scuba diver/recovery leader yesterday...going to pull a four-wheeler out of there today...

Hit Ashby Pelican for the 'gills, crappies and 'eyes...watch the ice in the narrows...some heaves...

good luck..

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

ashby pelican- is it much of a walk out or are cars out yet? how much ice? is there any snow over the ice? thanx again!

ole

Hey iceman05, half the fun of ice fishing is learning how to do it! The other half is catching and eating. Good luck with both! OLE

ghotierman

a bit of snow over the ice...maybe an inch or two...walkable to most spots...fourwheeler preferred...some small trucks have ventured out...use caution though...don't be a statistic.

good luck and let us know how you do!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598