• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any ice fishing around Osakis?

some smaller sloughs have a skim of ice...if this weather holds...some of the early ice lakes will lock in....we could be looking at some good early ice this year...before thanksgiving for sure!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Was touring through Alexandria looking for geese to see where they were all sitting and
notice a small lake froze over. I think it was Lake Winona. Oh well after next weekend after deer hunting is done for me it'll be Ice season! Eee-Haw!!!

------------------
F-STOP

• 2 weeks later...

We had a little bump. I was just wondering if anyone know if there was any ice cover around the Lake Osakis area. Any info. will be great. Thank you

Osakis is a popular ice fishing lake that get fished hard during the winter. If you pay your due's, you can do pretty good for all speices of fish. Ask the bait shops in the town of Osakis, they can put you on the spots! Osakis is where my house goes every winter for sure! And there is a 15" minimum size restriction for walleyes. So measure them good before keeping them! grin.gif
Good Luck!!

ice is starting to show up on area lakes. Osakis should have some in the quieter bays...it is a popular ice fishing lake, gets tagged as a state highlight for 'eyes and crappies and bull bluegills. Might be another week before fishable ice conditions...

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Doing research on Lake Osakis for our "guys weekend", I found only 1 resort that was open on Lake Oskais. That was Head of the Lakes Resort.

Is this the only one, or am I not doing through enough research?

Head of the Lakes seem like they are very nice people, and we reserved the last weekend in December. Does anyone know, besides the DNR website, where I can get an updated map...preferably for free? I know I'm asking a lot of that last question, but why not. -Thanks, irish

irishjigs,

send me an email at [email protected] i'll get a ya good map and where we are catching them before you go. I'll be doing lots of fishing there before then. good luck.

joneshat11

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, just drop a line on this bout when your coming up and how the fishing is doing, most people up here are open saying where they are catching them. Yeah, Head of the Lakes is the only resort open in the winter, and they usually have pretty good info too for the North end of the Lake. Saw some one out fishing to day on the lake, but im gonna wait a few days, pretty thin still but within 2 days the ways its freezing ill be out there. Brent

Been fishing on Osakis since Thursday. Walleye bite was slow as the crappie bite was fantasic. Caught a limit both Thursday and Friday with a total of tweleve 13inchers. On Saturday and Sunday I was trying just to get the eyes to bite. I had 5 of em but each one was 13-14 inches and had to throw back. On the north end on Sunday had 4 1/2 inches in spots. But be carefull if you go out as sat. winds created some pressure crackes with some open water. You'll see where people have been and those spots should be producing through the next weekend. Will try again this weekend.

[This message has been edited by joneshat11 (edited 12-02-2002).]

zimm,

West of hoiday resort work the 17' weedline and the hump that also tops out at 17' in front the the public access there next to the resort. Its no secert spot and the eyes will move away once pressured so I'll be looking else where next weekend most likely. Thats our cabin next to the access there (the blue trailor house with big windows on the lakeside, "the mess is my uncles who lives there") if you see a black S10 on the weekends there stop by for the scoop!

good luck

joneshat11

Joneshat,

I was thinking of heading that way this weekend to do a little pheasant hunting and fishing. I have a cabin on the east side by Sunfish Resort. I have never ice fished up there before. Any tips on finding crappies? I would like to get a little warm up for later trips to Red Lake. From the description of your trailer, I think I spent half the summer pulling Rockbass from out in front of you. smile.gif Did the sunnies ever move to that little drop off 20 yards out from your dock? I found them there last year, but not this past summer.

joneshat11,
How deep were you. I was also out there the last 5 days and couldn't find the eyes. I tried off battle, buck, and in the narrows. Where are they? Thanks.
Zimm

I was fishing out on Osakis this last weekend on about 3-4 inches of ice on the main part of the lake. I was just wondering how much ice is on the lake now? I will be up there again in two weeks to put out my house. Thank you for the input.

hoyter,

I really didn't spend to much time this fishing for the sunnies this year. But, your right I did good last year also, best in a couple compared to what it used to be. The crappies that I caught last weekend where in front of the north access closer to head of the lakes. I was one of the first there on Thursday morning and soon the pressure got'um to slow down the next days after that. I would imagine that they are still there though along with more people as everybody seems to fish there at first ice.

Joneshat11

Joneshat11, checked out your web sight, nice fish. I have a place down the road from you on Shultz Bay. Haven't been up there in a couple of weeks. Spent all but two weekends up there since last March. Things kind of went to pot around the house down here in the cities. Decided to stay home for a couple of weekends and get caught up while the ice formed. Have you seen the new lake map. There was a fellow up there early September I think it was, had a boat load of electronics making a new map of the lake. I saw it a couple of weeks ago but it wasn't for sale yet. Still working on some of the cosmetics I guess?

Blue Pike,

Thanks for checking out the site, its just something I do for fun as I'm a computer science major at Augsburg College. Let us all know when the new map does come out and I'll head out to buy one. It will be intresting to see as there are lots of little humps and ridges all over the lake at are not on any other maps of the lake. I'm sure everyone has there little spots like that though.

Joneshat11

Question for you all! Last year the way the ice was on Osakis anybody could have drove all over the lake last year with any vichele. Why wasn't anybody fishing more on the big part of the lake? Finally got a snowmobile and did lots of ice fishing out there last year and did well getting to non-pressured spots. I was expecting there to be a lot more people out there on the weekends.

Can anyone tell me how much ice is on the main part of Lake Osakis? I am planning a trip up there next weekend and want to make sure that there is going to be enough ice? Thank you for your input.

I can't help with Joneshat question, but also have one of my own. I am driving up from the cities to pick up a ice house i am buying from someone on FM.com. Anyway, since we will be in the Alex area and have known it in the summers, we were thinking of testing the house that day as well, preferably on Osakis where i have done well bass fishing and northerns. But i am more interested in the crappies come winter. Is the north arm area (not main lake), near the access i think north of Sunfish Resort the place to check out for crappies AND SAFE ice? If so, what depths are we talking to look for them or have you had success? Thanks for any input, if you are heading to the cities or looking to fish around the metro, let me know!

talked with my uncle who lives on the lake and there is 7 1/2 inchs by Hoiday Resort. Will be there tonight through Sunday and will be zooming around on my snowmobile. I will update on the ice conditions and fishing Monday morning. well gotta go sit in 94 traffic and hope your popin up flags are up this weekend.

Joneshat11

Jones,

Looking forward to hear your fishing report and ice conditions on the Lake? I will be up there next weekend to tell you about mine. Thank you for the input.

The ice is at exactly 8 inches at the north end and a little thicker in some spots. Some idoits drove the 4x4 truck out there by the north access. Fishing improved as the weekend went on and most walleyes where caught right off drop-offs leading into the basin of 40' of water. Had most success there deep and moving up the drop off as it got darker. Ended up landing 15 walleyes Sunday night doing this, unfortunly I didn't try fishing deeper intil then. Also, stay away from the traffic and you'll have more success as those people fish those areas, fish where caught earlier but moved because of the traffic. And be careful as there are to big pressure cracks leading off of coon and lindburg points.

Joneshat11

Joneshat~
Still working on my house for this year, should be done by Christmas, got started late, but i saw your question about the main lake. I think that why most people dont fish it is because no one plows out there. They dont want to get stuck and stuff, I fish at bowers, and center, also fish the rock pile south of battle pt. and by 4 mile, with the snowmobile it was slow for me last year. You should stop by the resort, Midway Beach and say hi, maybe we could do some fishing, i havent been out yet this year, trying to get some work done, but will soon, ask for Brent, my parents own the resort i live here while going to school in fergus falls. I also have a few secret spots on some nearby lakes. wink.gif Talk Later, Brent

Hello all the walleye and crappie searchers out there on lake "o". I have a cabin on the north end, north of the battle point access about 10 cabins or so. I have fished the lake very heavy for about 4 years ans ice fished for the last 3 seasons. Had a goup of 4 up there over dec 7th. Ice was great and drove our Polaris 4 Wheelers and used portables. 1 group fished coon point in about 30 feet of a water and cought nothing at all. I fished just south of Buck point out from the north access in anywhere from 20 to 30 feet of water and cought nothing. Not even a bite. There were other houses around me in different depths but nobody catching anything. Odd, last year we did very well at both spots. Can anybody tell me where the crapies are?

------------------

Going to Osakis this friday to pull some walleye and crappie lips out of the water.
Any body else going there this weekend?
I also fish out from the blue trailer house next to the access. So stop in and say hi!
Good Luck!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

------------------
F-STOP