• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Murdock

length&girth to weight conversion chart

Murdock

Does anyone know of a web site that I can print a length to weight conversion chart or know where I can buy a chart for Pike? The bigger pike are starting to bite again and would like to determine the weight by measuring the length and girth of the bigger fish. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks everyone!!

Kicker

I was always told that 40" = 20lbs....42" = 22lbs....43" = 23lbs...give or take i'm sure. I'm also curious to know if anybody else has a different method or thinks this method is inaccurate...

Kicker

I bought a stick on measuring tape for Northerns/Muskies which has a weight table on it. I think they are pretty common. Of course this only takes into account length, but it's a start.

RuKiddingMe

Couple weeks ago i put a 42 inch muskie in the boat with about a 17 inch girth, i too was a little curious on a sizer conversion and this is what i found.

length*girth*girth/900 = Musky Lbs.

length*length*length/2700 = Northern Lbs.

ghotierman

RuKidding....good info. The length*length*length/2700 (for pike) is a fairly accurate formula... it works for walleye and bass as well...(with different divisors...)

Murdock...try the dnr website...they may have an article on that formula...or even a chart to print out....there may also be one in the fishing regs hand book...

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Murdock

Thanks guys, I talked to a DNR officer this weekend on Lake Darling and he also told me the L*L*L/2700 formula. I think this formula results in an over estimation of weight, but again, the girth factor isn't taken into consideration.
Lake Darling produced some nice pike this past weekend. They really slowed down in early afternoon due to the heat factor, but again picked up in the evening. Based on this formula, we CPR'd dozens of 2 to 8 pounder and several closer to 12 to 14 pounders. The all seemed really healthy. (One bigger one was 36 inches long, but was as skinny as a 3 pounder and really stunk.I think she was on her death bed). Thanks to all!!!!!!!

ghotierman

Murdock...sounds like a pretty good weekend of northern fishing. Glad it went well, despite the heat.

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598