• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anderland...just read the string from the brainerd forum...chocked full of good info. I haven't tried this technique yet, but it all makes great sense, and the Alexandria area has lots of water that would suit this pattern well. Miltona is classic for this technique. I've heard of people using downriggers on Miltona, but have seen few planer boards. Ida and Carlos would also do well on this pattern. That's not to say the smaller lakes won't. (could certainly see trying trolling over deep basins in Geneva). It's a great way to cover a lot of water, and targets fish in a particular pattern that doesn't get pressured; suspending over deep water....foraging on schooling baitfish.

Definately intend to try this, or variations soon. It may be the most productive pattern for the hot weather season.

Anyone else tried it yet? Success? Tips....
let's get this board rollin!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Ghotierman,
I checked out the Brainerd string you were refering to and I am itching to try this method as well. I get out near Glenwood quite often and what I'm wondering is do you think this method would work on Minnewaska or Reno?

I'd love to try it on Miltona or Ida or Geneva but those lakes are a bit too far to make a run from my in-laws in Brooten. Thanks.

mistermom

mistermom...I think it should work on Minnewaska and Reno as well. Mary would be another candidate to try. Reno and Mary are just deep basins anyway...max depth is less than 30. Definately worth a shot...and if you keep moving on this pattern, you'll always have a breeze on a hot day!...*L*

Did you get to Emily yet?
I was a mistermom for nine years...way to go man!

good luck

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Hey Guys this method does work #1 pickup the book called precision trolling I got mine at fleetfarm it gives you a ton of information on how much line out required to fish what depth, with what type of lure #2 you will either need a line counter reel or a inline counter#3 rod holders #4 inline planner boards or large planner boards with mast ect.
Give it a try it should work well on the lakes mentioned.Alot of times baitfish along with gamefish will suspend at the level the mayflies and other insects etc.Try this tecnique out. I think you will find it worth the while alot of walleye tourneys have been won with this tecnique Goodluck

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I believe you'll find it difficult to find at Fleet Farm now (Precision Trolling). You pick it up here as well:

http://fishingminnesota.com/precision_trolling.html

It is a must have book for those who want to troll and improve their fishing.

Ghotierman,

Have not made it to Emily yet. I keep reading the reports in outdoor news about how good it is. Its driving me nuts. Of course, I don't know how accurate the reports are; they haven't changed in about 8 weeks.

One more question about "the method". Are you boating around until you mark fish or baitfish? Or are you going to likely areas and just zigzagging?

Being a stay at home dad is great; but its hard to get time off.

Bird Dog and Rick,

Got to have all the stuff you mentioned and I do. Now if I could just get some time to go out and really try it.

I ordered precision trolling from fishing Minnesota and had it in my hands within days. Must have item for the boat.

mistermom

Mistermom:
Precision trolling on Emily works to an extent. The 5-7 foot lake depth is somewhat of a problem though. Planer boards work best out there - just because of the depth and motor noise. I ususally run my electric - even with boards. .....But for getting a stick bait/live bait rig up near the shore (into 2 to 3 feet of water, it's great. Without planer boards, on Emily, longlining is a must.
Even with 5-7 feet of water though, if you use GPS on Emily's main lake basins and mark your catches, you can continue to run the boards through the schooled areas without passing the boat over the top. .....Works every time.