• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Any suggested Lakes to fish for Opener???

I will be in the Alexandria area on fishing opener and am looking for a lake to fish. What lakes are good on opener, with a lot of structure? My buddy has a cabin on Osakis, however, I am not to impressed with that lake. I would like to explore new lakes in the region. Thank you for any suggestions.

The last seven years I have had the opportunity to fish the "chain" on opener. I have always faired well on Le Homme Dieu, Geneva and Carlos. Good Structure and nice 'Eyes. Check out Latoka also some nice fish out of that lake. If all else fails swing by Northeast Outfitters they always help me when I bring my minnow bucket in.

Good luck on the opener!

ghotierman

Ditto what BobberDown said!....The chain offers you a lot of variable structure, and not a lot of opener pressure. Lake Mary and Lake Reno were favorites for opener last year, and many did well. However, parts of Mary were like a floating boat show....pretty crowded.

Carlos and the rest of the chain have great structure for 'eyes. Being a big deep lake, Carlos doesn't get a lot of opening day pressure either. You may have to work for 'em, but when you get on them, you'll find some dandy 'eyes!

Other are considerations: Ida, Miltona, Big Chippewa. Again, larger lakes, cooler waters for opener, probably less crowds.

Last year Lake Louise proved a hot-spot for midnight shore fishing. We had a couple guys come through the store that limited out by early morning.

This ice season has been so topsy turvy, it's tough to tell what spring will bring. Looks like an early ice-out, so big lakes might be 'on' for opener. Check with us at Northeast Outfitters, and we'll let you know what's happening where!

good luck, and Good Fishing!

Thank you for your for the suggestion. I think I am going to go to Lake Ida. What depths are appropriate for this lake on opener? How far away is it from Osakis? Thanks for your suggestions.

ghotierman

Ida is a good choice. Big water, lots of structure. It is only about a 30 minute drive from Osakis. There are two accesses on the east side off county road 34. Often spring anglers find success trolling live bait rigs in about 18-24 feet along this shore...access to access.

The most productive fishing might be on the underwater humps, in 25-30 feet with jig and minnow. That is where most of the fall action and good ice bite was. Study a contour map, and locate likely humps... there are virtually no flats on Ida.

Good luck on the opener!