• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grader dropped through the ice

bieganekbaitco

Glad to see it out. I work with a contractor last year that had dropped one through up at Devils Lake a few years back that was quit a deal it was out about 1-3 miles from shore in 35' of water I can remember how far it was out for sure. They ended up making a trench in the ice from there where it went in to shore and then hook a cable on and puilled it to shore and once the cab it the bottom of the ice they chopped a hole for it to come through. They brought it back to their shop and thawed it out and had it running again by then end of the following day.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 02-19-2004).]

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kelly-p

• Giant_Jackpot

• iffwalleyes

• halad

ziggy here are some links to past questions about that.

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum30/HTML/004280.html

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum30/HTML/003536.html

What you need to do is load pictures into a web page. I use Shutter Fly, I used to use Sony Imagestation but that has been acting up lately after you put the pictures in the storage bin you then open them right click on the picture select properties and then copy the address. Then you come back to this the forum here and type this

then paste what you copies in between here there are no space in between your address and the bracketed items you put the brackets in and everything.

for example
47b4dc38b3127cceb88e60c9b8150000001610

I can't remeber where I found this one but since we are showing pictures of stuck construction equipment it fits.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

HEY! thats a picture of Kelly P's atv!

------------------
" chaos , panic and disorder ... my work here is done. "
Upper Red Lake Area Association Member

arrowhead, after foolish comments like that it would probably be the best idea not to go back to Red Lake. Ive fished there several times and the people who live and fish there are some of the most pleasent people ive met. You do not fall into that catergory.

[This message has been edited by anyfishwilldo (edited 02-19-2004).]

Arrowhead,

This is how these guys make a living. I would agree if you said what he was doing is risky but not stupid. They know what the ice conditions are and plan accordingly. Ice is NEVER safe!

Arrowhead, That is the nastiest statement I have seen posted yet. What happened with this grader was something called an accident. The grader operator understood the risks when he drove it out there, but he also probably has a lot more experience doing this than you do. He wasn't plowing a figure skating rink you know. He was doing a service to all of us that use those roads. I watched a lot of plow trucks banging and slamming snow trying to get the roads clean and help people get to their shacks. All of that wear and tear on their trucks was not done for fun, it was done for their customers such as you. It is easy to hide behind a username. If you really feel that strongly about it, maybe you should walk into the WestWind some weekend night and share your comments there. I think some of those gentleman there would help you see the light. I think they can do without you going back there. If I was you, I would just stay home.

I was going to post something but I think Arrowhead will get beat down hard enough without me putting in my 2 cents.

He only had 3 posts to his name so hopefully he learned his lesson. Maybe he is used to the DNR forums on the DNR website. Things get pretty nasty over there.

Hunt4food you hit it on the head, I hope he takes your advise and heads into Westwind. Vesty is a great guy that knows his equipment and knows what he's doing. I had him do some work for me a couple of years ago and there's not a better guy.
Arrowheadwhatever - please think before you open your mouth again.

Oh Arrowheadwhatever it is a good thing that you aren't going to come back because I am sure the that 100 gals of diesal fuel killed all the fish in the lake. Get real have you ever been to red lake do you have a clue how big it is and how little of a effect of that much fuel will have it is just a blade not the exon valdez. Get real guys like you don't deserve to fish on a lake like this. You will complain when you can't get on a lake and because no one will plow and then some one does and there is an accident and you call him dumb. What ever I will gladly pay my five bucks to use a plowed road any time. Keep up the good work up there and I hope he can get his machine dried out and running again and right back out there.

Arrowheadwhatever FYI a blade like his weights 38,000 not 50,000.
------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

I was there for the whole ordeal and i saw very little oil that got in the lake when the diver went down the water was perfectly clear. A small amount of hyd. fluid leaked when they lifted the blade but they caught it in bucket and even wiped it up with paper towels. I was suprised that the DNR wasnt there but i didnt see anybody. Its all cleaned up and baracaded off. I cant say enough about the way that the Poxlitner family and the volunteers handled this. Really great people.

If you think for a minute that the fluids that leaked from the grader during it's bath was a large amount, it was just a tea cup in the lake compared to the totals that are dumped on the lake from all of the vehicles that travel on the lake. If you have never driven on the lake yourself get on your " bully pulpit" and rant otherwise might be best to remain silent. Your type are the ones to **** and moan when the acesses are not good.

Arrowhead, First off I dont know Vesty or most of these people for that matter, however I can assure you what I do know of them would make me think they care more about a person and his well being than some line of $* some (explicit) is jawin, now if you had any wits about you, you would have saved the nasty things you are writing about someone you dont know and a situation you more than likely know little to nothing about, maybe save face and keep your comments to yourself cause Im sure noone here cares to hear you say anything other than bye!

------------------
barebackjack IBOT#197
Why ride the wagon when the walk is so scenic?????????

AHS... as stated I hope you have the kahunas to stand up and voice your opinion when you make it back to Waskish... Your ignorance is really showing. Do you think that it was really stupidity that put Vesty on the ice? Do you really think the grader weighs much less than a duece and a half with a v-plow? Are the loggers who haul semi-loads across the ice stupid? How about the up-north resorts who bring in building materials all winter? or maybe the eskimos who land DC-3's on the ice to pick up the Caribou they harvest? All must be stupid eh? Funny everyone North of you isn't extinct... ever hear of an unfortunate accident? Vesty got caught between 2 cracks that developed parallel to each other under the plow banks when pushing them back due to all the snow they recieved. It could've happened to a half ton pick-up with a Western plow... wrong place at the wrong time. As far as your statement "Who needs a 4 lane road anyways?" This is where you obviously haven't spent enough time on the ice in the spring... Ever see roads flood because they are too narrow and all the melting snow is trapped by the banks? Ever see plow banks literally sag the ice due to the weight of the slushy banks, making the road unsafe to travel? You wanna drive down those narrow roads with all that going on? Oh that's right they can just hammer out a new road... There actually is a reason for plowing them wide and it's not because they have a hard-on to run (and ruin) their equipment. Take Lessons from LOW? Some of the best ice roads I've seen anywhere in the state are on Red and I commend those who make and maintain them. Seems as though a lot of roads have been abandoned on LOW and the ones that remain are no where in comparison to those on Red... go ahead and keep making your lame statements... the forum's been kind of slow lately! rolleyes.gif

Better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt!

Labs

LOL, Id like to see them try to take a sample test. There is now way that little bit from the Grader will affect the lake. Like someone else said the vehicles on the ice is bad enough. Its pretty much the same thing as someones truck with a V-plow going through the ice.
I would drive a grader like that on the ice if theres +25". Why not? Its a ton wink.gif easier than a plow.

You can say its stupid, I will say its a coincidence.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

ARROWHEAD,
ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU, WHO SHOULD NOT POST ON FISHINGMN. I LOOKED UP YOUR PROFILE AND NOTICE THAT YOUR OCCUPATION & ADDRESS ISN'T LISTED, THAT DOESN'T SURPRISE ANY OF US, I WOULD NOT WANT TO MAKE COMMENTS LIKE THAT & HAVE MY WHEREABOUTS KNOWN EITHER. I HONESTLY FEEL SORRY FOR YOU, HE WHO IS WITHOUT FAULT...CAST THE FIRST STONE!!! OBVIOUSLY, YOUR FAULT FREE!!! JUST WONDER IF YOUR MAN ENOUGH TO APOLIGIZE???
SINCERELY,
FISHMIESTER

I wonder if he know that things are different in Northern MN and Canada then around then where you are from. Like others have said it wasn't stupid just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I myself am convienced that he has never been to upper red if he thinks the that blade polluted the lake. It is a really big lake bud don't think you have worry about it causing a great deal of pollution but if you had ever been to the lake you would know that.

One more thing about you buddy that runs a blade I bet he goes around and brags to everyone "ya I'm an opertator". One thing I have learn is that people that call themselves operators don't know jack about running a blade. Anyone who calls themselves one knows about enough to start the machine and put it in gear.

My apologies to anyfishwilldo for earlier comments I had mistakely put in this post.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 02-20-2004).]

Well said Labs, in this case there is NO doubt! I have seen documentaries where there are caravans of semi-tractor trailers moving supplies up in Canada. Besides, would anyone risk their own life and equipment if he didn't think it was safe? I think not! I'll be coming up to URL the week-end of the 27th of Feb., and I sure as hell plan on contributing to the fund to help out the owner-operator, that's what real sportsman do, help each other out!

iffw, Please dont confuse me with that idiot arrowhead. Im from St cloud and work construction. I think arowhead probably lives in a van down by the river, with no job. I'll be up at Red this W/E, and hope to put some faces with the names on FM. As far as the semi caravans across the ice, my younger brother did that two winters ago. A semi with a trailer loaded with bulk diesel fuel wheighs slightly more than a grader.
Don

[This message has been edited by anyfishwilldo (edited 02-20-2004).]

Wow. Incredible how they got it out. Some fishing buddies were talking and we had no clue how they would do it.

I will admit it must have taken some stones to be on the ice right where they were taking it out. How much ice is there up there right now, anyhow.

My question for the construction types is how heavy are these graders? No judgement on my part, just saw someone throw out 50,000 lbs and thought that way heavy.

Arrowheadslayer. If you ever icefish, you benefit from those that plow so we don't get stuck. If you don't, why comment?

I agree with the Westwinds idea. I am sure everyone will buy drinks for you-wink wink. Then, as a sign of Waskish hospitality, they will take you out to the hole where the grader went in. You will get a tour, and then an opportunity to join the newest Westwinds club. Forget the IBOTS (sorry fellas), welcome to the Polar Bear club, and you can be member number one. Arrowheads are almost triangles, right? Long walk back to the Westwind in your underwear though. smile.gif

Just glad nobody got hurt.

Say I was just wondering how you are loading the pics into the post? Is that something only the Forum operators can do? Any help appreciated. Thanks

LABS well said i was going to mention the semis on lake of the woods hauling in the winter. arrowhead have you ever seen some of the trucks used for plowing lakes? i have seen some that are bowed up in the middle from pounding roads out on the lakes, frames all bent up. say what you want but sometimes its better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a idiot than to open it and remove all doubt.

Anyfishwilldo I am very sorry. That is what I did. I looked at your profile right under his first post. I think your are right about living in a van by the river. Man they have internet everywhere. I am sorry even though I think arrowhead is not to smart I think the is the one with nothing between his ears is arrowhead himself...

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

Arrowhead, how do your feet taste? Good to know you are flexable enough to stick your feet right in your mouth.

I've been to URL a couple times, and I must say that the people I met are more of a memory than the fish I caught. Isn't that what being a sportsman is all about? Giving someone a jump, here have a beer, nice to meet ya where ya from, don't worry I have plenty of minnows and I can share.

I've never ran a grader, but I sure am glad that guys plow roads on the lake or else I'd never be able to get out there and have my fun. It's a darn shame when someone who calls themselves a sportsman has to make a crack at someone elses misfortune.

Hope to see you on the lake sometime. I probably won't be able to give you a jump, I'll be outta beer, I don't care where you're from and go away, and I'm almost out of minnows myself.

As for everyone else on the lake, however, let's go have some fun and make memories. Arrowhead can go back to the van on the river.

Most importantly, darn glad no one got hurt.

My $.02

If I call Arrowhead a DORK (note the captital letters) is that a personal attack?
If so I apologize for my actions.

DB IBOT 68

Hmmm Arrowhead has 4 posts since March of 2001.

Any chance he is a parasite, that is just looking for all the hot tips on where to fish, whats biting, where the ducks are, etc?
He obviously is not willing to give back to the cause.