• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Lake-Slab Crappie Contest!!! This Sat. 2/ 21

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick

• Matt Johnson

• can it be luck?

• Matt Breuer

There is just something about catching those slab crappies through the ice. The way they shine through the water as they approach the hole and the hard fight they put up. Red Lake is a great place to experience the great winter crappie action. When you get these fish going its fast action and the size will put our little average size Metro crappies to shame. I hope to see a lot of you there on Feb 21 and maybe we can drop a line and share some Metro fishing stories.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

I'll be up that weekend fishing out of some rented houses. A couple of questions:

In order to fish in this event do you have to fish in a certain area or is the whole lake OK?

Is it a shot gun start of sorts or is everyone on their honor?

Looking forward to attending.

The Spook

You can fish anywhere on the lake outside of the reservation.. You just need to check in and register before the event starts at 8am, then from 8am to 2pm you are free to fish where ever. Be back by 2pm for weigh-in. If you want the full details check out this link or else feel free to ask anything else here.

ICE Series

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 02-11-2004).]

Is this a crappie contest? or anything that bites minus the wallys?
either way it is, im still gonna win. hehehe
or my kid will.
by the sounds of it,, this is gonna be 1 hellova time..
how many people are registered so far? just curious.

------------------
Da Beav ----> I.B.O.T #220

Are you a happy clamper??

Here's a few fish that fishnutbob caught out there, with exception of the white crappie. Look for slabs like these on a Red Lake near you wink.gif

47b4dc30b3127cceb80b8027dc770000001610

A lot of nice fish have been caught out there lately. True slabs too! I would recommend the Red Lake ICE Series for anyone who wants to catch some of these slab crappies, you will get a chance to fish with some of the Pro's that fish Red Lake day in and day out, and you will get to learn some of the things they know and hold dear about fishing Red Lake smile.gif

Another one of the many Red Lake slabs...
47b4dc30b3127cceb80b32c4dccd0000001610

Looking forward to it!

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy

Hey all just found out about this tourney, would love to go, but is there anywhere the wife and i could get a hotel or something, preferably close by. Any suggestions would be great. Also do you think i would need an extension for my auger or would i be able to get through the ice with out one.

------------------
no-no boys there's two O's in goose!

Another question - we're already registered, but my group may not be able to get there by 8:00 (about a 3-hour drive from home). If we show up after 8:00, are we SOL as far as the contest goes? Or will there be a way to register on ice?

Just signed up for the event at red...had a blast at the winnie event, missed the Mille Lacs event, but looking forward to this event. Will there be any guides around to help us find the crappies?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Bear Paw Guides, Russ and Rick, Chris Haley, Matt Breuer and other FM Pro Staff will be there to help try and get those who want help to get on fish.

Looks like this Crappie Contest will be one to remember.

Some very fun folks are already getting prepared for this ICE Series Event smile.gif

Online Registration Deadline this Thursday, 3 pm - 2/19/04

Sign-up for the URL ICE Series today!
We have word there is a GOOD daytime SLAB crappie bite on Upper Red Lake.

Here is a short video of a few slab crappies caught on Upper Red lake in Minnesota.

Dusk Crappies - IceLeaders.com: 56K Modem - CLICK HERE

256k High Speed - CLICK HERE

Recommend that you Right Click on the 256k link and "Save Target As" to download to your PC. Then play it right off your PC. The 256k is a bigger picture with better sound.

ICE Series Sign-up and info - CLICK HERE

When: Saturday, February 21, 2004.

Sorry Johnny,
I don't keep track of the exact numbers.

Here is a picture of a URL crappie caught 2/16/04

urlcrappie021604.jpg

They are biting!!!!

Rick, I can't find the tournament hours, can someone post the fishing times again. I am sure I am missing them somewhere.

Nice slab JohnnyB.

7:00AM Registration
8:00AM Event Begins
10:00AM Registration/Check-in ends
2:00PM Contest Ends Weigh-in begins (Note: ALL fish MUST be weighed in by 2, or be in line to weigh-in.)
2:30PM Trophys and prizes
3:00PM Food Served (Food will also begin around 1-ish)

[This message has been edited by Tom Herman (edited 02-18-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 02-18-2004).]

Online Registration Deadline TODAY at 3 pm - 2/19/04

ICE Series Sign-up - Only $10 and info - CLICK HERE

URL Crappie caught 2/16/04
urlcrappie021604.jpg
They are biting!!!! smile.gif

Online Registration Deadline TODAY at 3 pm - 2/19/04

Here is a short video of a few slab crappies caught on Upper Red lake in Minnesota.

Dusk Crappies - IceLeaders.com: 56K Modem - CLICK HERE

256k High Speed - CLICK HERE

Recommend that you Right Click on the 256k link and "Save Target As" to download to your PC. Then play it right off your PC. The 256k is a bigger picture with better sound.

Online Registration - $10 (Save $5)

When: Saturday, February 21, 2004.
Registration at West Wind $15 7am-8am
Registration on lake $15 8am-10am

Scott

They say the mind is the first to go...then the site. I hope I don't have to start tying your hooks on....am I?
see ya there buddy!

Can I use it Saturday morning???????

------------------
barebackjack IBOT#197
Why ride the wagon when the walk is so scenic?????????

Tonight was another successful trip on Red, I hope to see a lot of people on the lake on Saturday. Sign up and have a chance at some crappies like these caught tonight!

47b4dc38b3127cceb8b0c47ef8670000001610

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
[email protected]
-----------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Stone Legacy
Ice Leaders

Man, I tell ya...I had an absolute BLAST with the group of guys at the contest and afterwards...Matt and Scott from Northcountry Guide Service let me tag along after the contest was over, and MAN, it was awesome!! Everyone along caught PLENTY of crappies, and I got me personal best of 15-1/4 inches...a true HOG. At one point, those darn crappodiles werent even letting the lure hit the bottom! A HUGE thanks to Rick, Pat, and the entire fishingminnesota.com pro staff for a truly memorable trip. Special thanks to Matt and Scott for not only putting us all on fish, but also helping me get UNSTUCK after we left...I cant thank you guys enough. Also cant wait for the Lake of the Woods tourney...see you all there!!!

The triangle took it's toll again!! mad.gif Arrived tuesday night at Agassize's (sp?), located between Westwinds and Hillmans. The evening bite was great Tuesday through Thursday. We averaged about 30 fish a night. Went to Rogers Friday night...A big goose egg! Zero, Nadda, Zilch. Anyways, our plans were to attend the FM event, however the fuel pump went out on the camper and my buddy slipped off the camper's ladder fracturing his clavicle! By 8pm we were limping our way back to WI. A 7 hour drive turned into a 14 hour drive due to a faulty fuel pump. I missed the FM event and cut my trip short because of the triangle's mysterious forces!! mad.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

Bigred, thanks for the nice comments, I was happy to get some people on some URL slabs. Congratulations to Tyler on the win, it was good to see people get on some fish during the day. Bar none the best day of fishing I've had. Great atmosphere, great people, and the fish cooperated.

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
[email protected]
-----------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Stone Legacy
Ice Leaders

We caught 100's of crappies Friday and Saturday night and it was me who put us on fish Saturday night rolleyes.gif , with the help of Steve Brasel, Dennis Steele, Tom Herman and Tyler Brasel of course grin.gif.

We mustn't forget clueless who we moved in on real fast grin.gif

Thanks for the sacrifice clueless.

Also thanks to the IBOT member wit jigglestick who I caught plowing out our on lake HQ. You guys were awesome!!!!! smile.gif

I just wish I could have caught some crappies smile.gif

Here'a pic:
urlborchgirls.jpg
More pics will be coming hopefully.

Rick- I just sent you some pictures. Thanks for the great event. We had a time of our life with the action.

BigRed- It was nice fishing with you, looking forward to doing it again really soon.

Send me your email address and I will send you the pictures I took.

Woodman

Seriously, Thank you Bearpaw Guides for putting us on fish. Steve and Tyler Brasel are a class act. The soup was very good and HOT!!! smile.gif

Thanks!

Hey thats ok, at least I had the glory for a little while of having 6 slabs flopping on the ice before anyone else caught any!! I only managed 2 more during the hour of insanity. So, I still have yet to get a limit of URL slabs... the curse continues. lol

Jeez, I was only 10 feet from Matt B's hole that he caught 40+ out of - although, I do think mine were bigger!! tongue.gif

Jeff Beckwith and my dad were in the house and they experienced the same concept of how one person can be on fish and the other isn't - Jeff got his limit and my dad got 1!!

The 1/16 neon red glow devil tipped with a whole minnow was what worked for me. What was everyone's lucky bait Saturday?

------------------
Clueless - -

Pete and I figured it out, we had 95+ slabs in that hour and a half. Both of us were using Glow/Blue Shrimpo's without bait, the way we were using them is a secret...

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
[email protected]
-----------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Stone Legacy
Ice Leaders