• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rude people on the ice!

GooseSlayer

Well I have come to the simple realization that there are two types of sportsman in this world, those who are respectful, and those who are not. I have to say though I have encountered more idiots " moving in " on me when I am in the field hunting than I have fishing. There is nothing like being peppered with BB steel shot, or 5 shot lead, and the best has to be the idiots that try to take a deer hunting spot, and then you have 12gauge slugs whizzing over your head! I know these are the same idiots that move in people enjoying their fishing spot. Yes it is a public lake, but that has nothing to do with common sense and just good old fashioned courtesy towards others. I wonder where they go when there is no one on the lake, or just one guy, do they head there, or are they faced with the grueling process of making the decision to find their own spot??? HMMMMM!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jigglestick

• united jigsticker

• LABS4ME

• Eric Wettschreck

Seems to me that an irrigation pump, that needs testing, and the cannon nozzle would work.
I've had a person get his anchor rope get tangled in mine 26 MILES OUT IN THE OCEAN so guess it's not only ice fisherpersons on URL.
Am enjoying reading all the threads on this forum - keeps home sickness from getting to bad.

Big Gaffer i am glad that you posted that story. That was just about the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen on the ice being we were almost the only ones on the ice that night and were at least a mile away from any other lights that night. It all comes down to using common sense and being curteous while on the ice, it is alright to stop and ask someone if they are catching fish but there is no need to set up within 5 feet of the people you are asking and hope they leave so you can use their holes.

The BEST was when 9-Toe and a buddy set up about a 1/2 mile out from shore and set up lawn chairs and threw their crappies they caught somewhere else out on the ice. It was one of those perfect 20 plus days and they were just sitting in lawn chairs acting like they caught them there. Portable after portable came in and set up around them. They just sat there sipping a beer or two and then when it was time for the bite they pulled up and left all those sheeple there jigging in 4 feet or less of water.

PRICELESS!

Kelly P

That story about the hard house and portables was really great. I nearly busted a gut picturing the scene of crappies flying out the door and the look on the faces of the dumb ******** crowding in.

A "true" sportsman as this forum calls it enjoys being outside in the elements. In most American's eyes it is enjoyed ten-fold when you can share that enjoyment with others. Are you people on this forum so selfish that you wouldn't share an area of the lake with someone else? It is a public and anyone can fish anywhere they want. I agree, don't sit on top of someone...at least have the common courtesy to ask them how they are doing and if they mind if we pop a few holes and fish nearby. That would be the nice thing to do. Not everyone is that courteous though. Some people just need to be taken with a grain of salt.
If someone asks me for a fishing report, I'll give them the honest truth...I may even give them a few of the lures or jigs that were hot. Why not? Too many people walk around with a tip-up rammed so far up their rear end they would need brain surgery to have it removed. If you are going to call yourself a sportsman....I suggest you act like one.

The next time someone squats on me when i'm fishing...I won't come on here and call wine wine one....or the waaaaaaaambulance. Talk to them, get to know them. Don't get all pissy because you think this is YOUR spot. It's NOT your spot. It's a public lake. Have a stupendous evening.

Disagree, I dont feel like I or anyone else should have to take anyone"with a grain of salt" because they lack common courtesy. I do agree that asking a person first to poke a few holes would be a policy I and any "good sportsmans" would follow givin the same situations. I am out there to enjoy myself on a public body of water, this does not mean I have to accomadate some others lack of "sportsmanlike conduct" If that puts me in the back of a "waaaaaaaaambulance" then so be it!

------------------
barebackjack IBOT#197
Why ride the wagon when the walk is so scenic?????????

has anyone gotten setup and tryed a little trap shooting to pass the time until the fish started to bite. I think it would be a great way to pass time.

------------------
are we having fun yet ...

I would have to disagree also. Yes it is public waters but when you have your house on the ice or if you've set up your spot it IS your spot. State law is that you cannot set up within a certain distance from someone else. I don't know that exact distance but I do know that 10 feet is toooo close and technically against the law. Use the same scene in open water. I would not expect some other boat to anchor close enough to spit in your boat without knowing you. It is just plain not right and I don't think it makes me less of a sportsman if I get ticked off at them. They are the clods with no brains and should be treated as such. Sometimes it takes a 2x4 across the head to knock some sense into someone. Well I wouldn't take it that far but there are times I've felt that way.

I think part of the problem is that a majority of the states people are becoming urban, they live in apartments or houses where they have multiple neighbors that are 10-100 feet away, they drive down crowded roads and freeways where people are 25 feet away, so they think its ok to maintain that same distance on a lake. Then they see people playing bumper boats when they're spring crappie fishing and they see fishhouses crowded on the local hot spot, so why should they think its any different on Red?

I think that we need to continue to nicely educate people that crowding just ruins the fishing for all.

Love the story about 9toe and buddy sitting on their lawn chairs and luring the sheeple in!!!!

I have to agree with Doop.

A few of you have valid gripes, the rest need to take a nap. Your acting like a bunch of ten year olds fighting over who gets to pitch.

The law "IS" 10 feet. Like it, Lump it, or change it.

"if you point it, ya better pull it."

Hey Labrat,
Are you all healed up from the pet peeve mauling you took last winter during this thread ?? grin.gif

I know it's been stated already but, THIS IS RED LAKE, there are approximately 28 square miles of ice accessable to us for ice fishing. Would anyone set up 10 feet away from another house on Lake of the Woods ? Rainy Lake ? Vermillion ?
Why is URL different ??? Most people that fish the lakes I mentioned do so to get away from the hustle, noise and BS of the cities, and enjoy Gods' Country.
URL is part of Gods' Country too !!

(IMHO) so many people fishing URL are used to fishing metro lakes or smaller lakes where crowding is the norm (probably cidiots like me)due to the small amount of fishable structure and/or lack of time (or ambition) to find ther own "hot spot" or area of structure. Red Lake is unlike any other lake in MN due to the lack of structure and the heavy amount of fishing pressure it receives.
Is there another lake in MN that anyone would drive 5 hours one way to just to fish 1 day and turn around and go home...?? I don't think so.
United Jigstickers' big bowl of Cheerios analogy is really very accurate........it's just a matter of whether or not there's any cheerios under your spoon.

Good luck........there's plenty of crappies for everyone !! get your hand out of my bucket wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Twitter (edited 02-12-2004).]

I realize most of this thread is from last year but I have a question for you all. I am not speaking specifically about Red but more towards smaller lakes. Usually on small lakes in heavily populated areas you have one or two pieces of structure or deep holes that tend to be fished a lot. Now if there are 20 to 30 perm. houses on this structure, how does a guy go about fishing the structure without violating the "too close" rule? Another question..what if nobody is in the perm. house, is it ok to set up close to that house? Afterall, if they are not using it, why do they get to "reserve" the spot? I have a perm. and use portables and have gone through every situation that has been talked about here. I just wonder what others think...without trying to stir things up. Thoughts?

Twitter!

Yup, nary a scar! Amazin what them Steroid cremes can do! Um er or was that Hemorrhoid creme.

This whole thread is why I stick to the smaller ponds. If you look for them there are several farm ponds within 35 to 75 minutes of St Paul, that will produce 11 - 14 inch Crappies with regularity. Why would I want to drive 5 hours, just to listen to all the I can do that at work 5 to the week!

And no, I ain't tellin!

[This message has been edited by NINETOE (edited 02-17-2004).]

Man jiggle and all i hope that wasn't my portable that caused all that!!!Well maybe i like making all the trouble!!! Jiggle i had a fantastic time meeting all the Ibot's and becomming one my dam nose is still running, I was to come back but when I got to my brother in laws he and my wife had been in a accident so i have to clear that up! no one hurt, just my new avelanch, dam i wished i had listened to her and only drove one car, well i won't let her know that!!!!! I will e- ya were to send my ibot card i want it NOW.
Well you know i live on a lake and have two big houses, i guess everone thinks i know were the fish live as were my house is so are all the rest. i believe that if i put mine on the island they would also, but a lot of them ask first, and they have to be nice as i have the only landing access on this side of the lake. I LOve url and will be back soon as i can get my car strightened out, it is my puller. Again Thank You for letting me set up close. I do believe i did ask first i hope so as that is the way it should be done. It takes so little to say hey do you mind, and most of us say hell no need help! They should try some time it works. see ya Snowshoe