• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rude people on the ice!

GooseSlayer

I never thought I'd find another Pabst drinker. The guys give me s*** all the time for drinking such a high quality beverage. I just remind them that Pabst is a top shelf adult beverage, and some people can't take the high quality stuff..lol. I'm heading to URL the weekend of Feb 21. I sure hope to run into a few of yous guys out there.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jigglestick

• united jigsticker

• LABS4ME

• Eric Wettschreck

Just ask them if their beer ever won a blue ribbon wink.gif Maybe see ya up there...prepare the wife now, once you been up to URL, it's like a drug, you start doing it recreationally and soon your hooked and it becomes your life! grin.gif Stop on by the LABSHACK and see if I'm around, I always have a cold Pabst waiting...

Whimpy...e-mail me at [email protected] with a # to reach you and we'll see if we can't hook-up. The location of the shack may change daily depending on the fish and crowds.

LABSHACK 6...we'll leave a light on!

Ken

If I can find the labshack, I'll definately show with a top quality beverage for ya. I'm already addicted and I havn't even been there yet. Is there hope for me???? Are there any jobs in the area for an out of shape, skinny, balding, beer drinking boiler maker????lol That way, the missus can come with!!!

------------------
Grip it and rip it

You can pipe steam heat to all the shacks on the Lake....no more LP! grin.gif That will keep you busy for a while...(man I gotta quit drinkin'...)

Good Luck! Rip some Lips!

Ken

LABS4ME,

Do you work durnig the winter? I dont drink PBR's but there is nothing wrong with a good beer now and then.

Hey I am working? Actually I own a landscape company so this is my "slow" time. If you like drinking a good beer every now and then, PBR is right up your alley! grin.gif

Good Luck! Rip some Lips!

Ken

Never say you should quit drinking. Your brain will remember those thoughts and someday, you actually will quit drinking. You should say,"That was a stupid thought, I should drink more." Steam heat to the shacks...Good idea. How about portable boilers for all the shantys out there?

You people that get all POed about someone fishing near you should feel honored. Someone out there thinks that you actually know what you are doing grin.gif That should be taken as a compliment smile.gif

I've always thought that your too close if i can shoot you with a paintball gun! Heck of an idea huh?
1. My first shot is to say hi
2. The second is to say bye.
3. And the 3rd through the 50th shots are to say get the hell away from me.
Ever been shot by a frozen paintball? at zero below, not really a paint ball, more like a marble.
"There something to be said about fishing with a case of pabst and a 30 of hamm's for back-up!"

Usually what is said is:
"Pue, that was a good one, you should probally go wipe after that one."
or
"Man who would have thought 5 beautiful blonds would like Hamm's and Pabst so darn much"

Paintball gun?
Try a KAC M4QD in 5.56mm with a sound suppressor and a night vision device.
About as loud as a paintball with a little more sting.
I always carry mine, don't you?
edd

The Mailman says AR-15 that would be his crowd control (jk!!!).
See you all Saturday

Good Luck
Lock and Load!!!

When S.T. were up on Mem day weekend, Everybody was hugging the shoreline including Butch F. This was here the fish were hitting, After a few hours of nothing we moved out by ourselfs WAY out in the middle of the lake, started catching, the minute we thru a marker bouy out for a drift, we were sorounded by boats what gives>>>later the load (we were the only ones still catching fish)

united jigstacker,
I have to meet you some day. I like your attitude and you have good ideas. You belong in the "triangle" with the other people that think outside the box. . smile.gif
jlm,
How many times should I have to move away from people? I spend all winter moving to the biggest empty place on the lake I can find and they just keep following. I find fish the same way we all do. By drilling a hole and trying. Some places are good and some are bad but it is not any easier for me. Are people that follow hard houses lazy? Why not work like we all do to find fish? My obligation is to my customers not some person I have never met in a portable. A portable can be set up and taken down in minutes,,,it takes me hours to move a hard house. If I ever moved in on other people like they move in on me and my friends I would be destroyed on this forum,,, and I would deserve it. If we all respect each other and spread out we will all catch fish, and get along a lot better. smile.gif

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

I like bottle rockets myself.

1. They are pretty
2. They are hard to ignore
3. They travel about the right distance
4. They are seldom fatal
5. Fish like them

well now hamms the beer of choice..i will have a beer chest of that in 1 of the dakotas out of rogers this weekend stop on by and we will tip a few back..now i dont like when other people set up camp next to me...there are some lakes where i have to do it but i do ask the guys where i want to set up if they dont mind and on those lakes they seem not to mind..got to know quite a few of them and now when they see me comming they they wave me right in..so i guess my advice if you think your gonna catch fish in large crowds on red ask the guys around if they mind you moving in on them and if they dont your better off 2 fish a couple hundred yards from them seems to be where i catch fish...ice banger out

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If someone moves in on me it better be because they like me. smile.gif
If I walked into a cafeteria and theres one guy sitting there I dont sit next to them. Modern man is losing his instinct to give each other "space". How do we judge whats a safe distance with other strangers, By the "Look". Yes thats right. Your sitting on your bucket and a car drives in slowly, the 2 must make eye contact. The look you give each other determines intent.
Heres a few of the "Looks"
"Dont come any closer!"
" Way too close"
"Not close enough" (usually a hot lookin bow rider in a bikini)
Anyway you get the idea.

In the "Olden Days" if you misread someone you might get a lesson fast. Today we dont resort to violence so theres a lot of unlearned lessons out there. grin.gif

Ok guys I got the remedy for people not getting too close. About two years ago we were out on red and our first spot we go to is as far away from people as we can. So we did that and we were literally about 2 mi away from any one, just off by ourselves and wouldn't you know it 2 different vehicles pull up within 20 feet from us and drill about 20 holes and made tons of noise. Within 2 hours there were easily 25 vehicles around us and **** close too. Well in a nut shell this happened 2 nights in a row so the third night we decided to go way out by ourselves and blasted some rap music as loud as the truck would play it just so no one would come by us and needless to say no one came around except for the crappies and a good buzzzzzzzzz.

------------------
FISH-ON!!!

tel you what jlm, you like crowds, just let me know where you are hammering the slabs and i will send enough people over your way to cure you of that way of thinking. i will not be one of them. i like to fish off by myself. you like crowds. i respect that. you can have that. why are you not able to respect my point of view. you think people should move in on me or others ruin my solitude, and when they do so, if i do not like it tuff $#it, move!!?? sometimes the wind or conditions are not favorable for a move, especially when you have little kids, or elderly fisherman with you. my point is as it has been from the start. when i am fishing a mile from anybody , litterally a mile, why then would a person come and park 40 feet away from me, augering and setting up during prime time????? i'm not fishing a breakline or hump, or rockpile. i'm in the middle of fricken nowhere,by myself!! i'll tell you why.people are to lazy to hunt for fish, or they are to woried about not catching fish that they cast common courtesy aside and just go where the crowds are, or where they see people catching fish, regardles of the situation.and another thing, the people who do this aren't even sociable!!! the ones who are would and do come up and talk first , maybe ask if i mind if they were to set up next to me, not ask permission mind you, because as we all know, nobody owns the lake, but at least say "hi".last season i litteraly had people sitting on the bumper of my camper!!! that is o.k. with you!!??
like i said, let me know where you are and you'll have your crowds. catch 'em all, jigglestick.

boiler guy, where you going out at? we are out of hilmans road. i have a feeling that will change by next week. but for now we are there. you have a good attitude.the way you describe it sounds like a perfect outing to me. if you would like to have a capt coke or a beer, ask around and you will find me. we usually do our visiting during the day then settle in for the evening bite. there will be alot of good fm people up this weekend. make a list and put it in your pocket of the ones you are looking for, then ask around. have a great weekend.
s.t. very well put. the "look" says it all. see you this weekend!!jigglestick

Lordy! After reading this string, I'm glad I haven't bothered to drive all that way to Red. There are way enough pucker faced pi$$ers and moaners down here mid state, I don't need to drive 6 hours just to hear more gripin. I really liked the post that catterwals about people staying hundreds of yards away from them, and then finishes with how he looks forward to meeting new people!!

What I should do is catch a buch of crappie's in which I usally do. Then just save them for the next day. "busy one saturday" Set up my house say maybe 100 yards past the bridge at WW. and say 20 feet off the road so everyone can see the fish.

It would be kinda of a waste of a day, but I bet I would end up meeting a lot of people. I could even pre-drill about 50 holes so they feel right at home. The hard part would be keeping a strait face around them.

jigglesitck, I have absolutely no idea where Hillmans road is....lol. I'll be heading out from Rogers. The only reason I know this is because I'm heading up with a friend of mine that has been there before, and goes out of there. I'm feeling pretty darn lucky that I even get a chance to go. Between working hours being what they are lately, my friend could have asked anyone, and the blessing to get away for a while from the wife, blah, blah, blah, no one likes a whiner. Capt coke sounds good to me!!!!!!! After reading all the posts from everyone here, I'm wondering if, with all the visiting going on, I'll get any fishing in..lol. Who cares???? I'm there for the fun. Don't worry, I won't crowd anyone. But, if ya see a skinny guy in carharts staggering across the ice with a 6-pack, DON'T SHOOT. It's just me coming over to offer ya a Pabst, and maybe get a little advice.

------------------
Grip it and rip it

i'm not anti social labrat. you obviously missed the point. even my bestest buddy stays barely within staggering distance. ther is a big difference,. and if you think all that goes on is pissing and moaning, then you are with out a clue. i am not playing both sides of the fence here,i am simply trying to address the inconsiderate crowding issue. you wouldn't happen to be one of these types of people would you???

Oh my.

I will throw in my 2 pennies.

Upper Red is associated with a phrase that goes fickle hell.

Grouping is a direct result of people needing to feel secure.

On URL, it is best to get the hell away from people. Just go off on your own, just as long as you're out in the lake far enough and not fishing too shallow.

Then, if you don't catch or see any fish, just drill a bunch of holes. The fish don't clump up like typical structure bound lakes with points, humps, inside turns, and deep basin areas.

I found the fish will typically be within 50 yards of wherever you are. There is no scientific explanation or any detirminable reason as to why the fish are where they are.

And when you get in a hole and the fish bite, sometimes a guy 10 feet away will never see a thing come through.

Why?? I don't know.

I just know that light plays a factor, and not always with the same effect. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Sometimes it doesn't matter.

Noise...I don't know. I had a guy bore holes around me within 10 feet of my hot hole and I was still catching fish. Vehicle traffic...who knows.

I have a theory. All the 15" and bigger Crappies are schooled in a big long strip. You know which one. Yep. That plowed up pile from the road that has 2 feet of slush under it...They don't mind the vehicle noise because it resembles security to them. It is their safe house.

Why is 5 miles a magic number? Because thats where the road ends. It's the same thing as to why alot of people never fish near the access in the summer on a lake. The farther away you go the better..Right?

Oh well. It's Upper Red Lake. It's an adventure. It's slab Crappies. It's fishing.

Ok then. Have fun on the lake.

Jigglestick - That was a very respectable post and I applaud you for your honesty. I guess my intention of this whole thing was not to imply that it is decent to move in on people trying to fish alone. I am speaking more towards the crowds of people. How do you NOT move to close to someone. I like to stay away from the crowds to but if that is the only place they are biting, I guess I will be in the crowd. There is nothing like having people look at you like they want to kill you because you are too close or are fishing in their area. That is crazy! My responses are not addressed to the good people out there, just to the jerks who think they own the lake. We all have the right to fish where we want and I agree that people do abuse this. However, why not make the best of it. Have a beer and trade some stories and catch some fish. Being resentful will only ruin your fishing! Heck, it might be the crowds and noise that keep the fish moving around making it possible for many to catch 'em! Anyway, good luck and get that 16 incher!

Last year one of my houses became tightly surrounded by portables from one big group and then more people surrounded them and the fishing died off. I knew if we moved the house they would all just follow so we set up 2 portables about 1/4 mile away beyond the edge of the crowd. The 4 guys that had the house rented rotated between the hard house and the 2 portables. All day they would haul their fish back from the portables in a small cooler and then throw one out the door of the hard house every few minutes. By the end of the day they had their limit, 58 from the portables and 2 from the hard house and a lot of really close neighbors that couldn't figure out what kind of magic those people in that hard house were using.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652