• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

fishing on url

LABS4ME

One last thing fellas!! What are you fishing with? I would assume crappie minnows for the crappies and large suckers or shiners for the pike? I could use some help here!

Wolf

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kelly-p

• jigglestick

• PUTZ

• THE GAMBLER

Read these 5 pages and they will tell you
what they are using.
PUTZ

------------------
just cross this line------

I think you're a little over the top, Wolf.
There isn't anything wrong with freezing a few fish. I don't get out to fish much in the summer and don't always catch fish in the winter but love to eat 'em. I've had a few trips to Red where I've put back more than I've kept(not this year) but am guilty of keeping a limit here and there. Nothing brings back good fishing memories more than thawing out a package of Red Lake specks from the freezer and fryin' em up.
However, your point on taking bucket loads of fish from Red - day after day when they're biting should be and is against the law.
Point well made!

Thanks for the report Jigglestick
I just spent a whole hour reading 1 topic I think we kicked this dead horse enough lets move on and good luck!!!

bigv i havn't heard someone call them specs since i lived in florida! good laughs.
well any ways it's nice to put a moron in his place. thanks for the support guys. good fishing.

------------------
keep a firm grip on your jigglestick!......jigglestick

Hey Kelly!
what do some of these guys expect you to
pull fish out your rear for them or what??
why cant they just go out and find them
like everyone else?

4 pages! This is quite the topic. Who would have thought someone could have a problem with having a few drinks on the lake.

Fish on...........maybe
Beer in hand......probably
good time.........GUARANTEED

I'll be up on Saturday, maybe run into some of you this weekend.

When I started ice fishing many moons ago. It actually made me cut my drinking in half. Yeah I left out the chasers the dam things kept freezing in the glass.
In all honesty I never drink when I am in the field. I sure do stop and have a cold one or two after the days outing to shoot the bull and patronize the fine establishments of the area that I am visiting.
This post has really taken off hopefully some got the message that a true outdoors person is one who doesn’t judge his day by the game he harvested. But rather judges his day having fun in the Great Outdoors and meeting the folks along the way.

WOW!!! some heated posts coming through over the past day. I had to go back and read my own posts to see what I may have said to cause this. All I found were some modest questions about a topic that appears so frequently on this forum anyway. So I'll ask again, pig_sticka, what did you mean when you said you have heard enough about captain and beer?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I wokeup and realized I might not be able to get up to Red till middle of feb.

O.K. everyone...planning on being up this weekend and my limit (of fun) is already guaranteed! Sounds like several of the forum guys will be up, some of them I already call my friends and some I hope to call my friends after this weekend! We'll probably catch some fish, but if not oh well..., and if we really get into them, take the time to get to know some of us, you may get an actual report! Otherwise enjoy what we post! I think it'll be a little more tight lipped this year, so you might as well go up, find some fish and have fun in the mean time, otherwise you just may end up missing the bite! We have some "house chores" to get done and we may even have a cocktail while doing them, so when we are toasting the "Crappie Gods" we'll be sure to hold our glass up a little longer and toast the friends we have made up on URL, and to all you "meat hunters", try Winnie the perch limit is still 20! (that's 10 more than next season's crappie limit) and it's less of a drive from the cities. I'll be going to my winter cabin, having fun!

Good Luck! Rip some Lips!

Ken

p.s. Putz and Moron, now I know where Jigglestick gets all his good looks! You setting up camp Jigglestick again this weekend? See ya then.....

Hey folks! Just got back from Texas and I see it's getting kind of hot in here! Spent 5 days hunting hogs and saw 1 piglet wild boar, 1 huge javelina, and 0 deer. Yes 0. Since I already shot boo boo this year up at Red I let the piglet go and the javelina was going 50mph and was gone before I got the rifle up. I did roll a coyote at 150 yards which was neat but probably screwed up my deer hunting...did I shoot something and bring it home? no Did I have a blast and get to spend time with dear friends who I wish I could see more often? yes

That's the way this stuff should be, and if booze and long drives and not catching something bother you don't go. I live on Chisago lake and you can come over and not drink and I'll show you where you can pull 4 inch sunnies all day long!, have fun and knock yourself out.

I on the other hand will be at Red at the end of the month trying to again catch the biggest crappies I have ever seen in 35 years of fishing. Afterwards I'll be hanging out with some of the best people I have met in a long time, anywhere, and I travel all over the place for work. **** straight we will be at WW later all liquored up and if you really lucky I'll play the pool cue air quitar for you to some AC/DC!

Dancing Bear Back in MN

I really enjoy reading this site and do so frequently. Thanks for all the upbeat information and positive comments, never seen more dedicated people than those running this site. Cannot let a few sourpuss folks ruin a good thing. I saw first hand last week-end the good that folks like Kelly do for us fishermen that aren't always (or have to be) catchermen. Keep up the nice work, love what you do.

He LABS, DANCING BEAR AND FIN LANDER, WILL BE COMING UP FROM FL AND ON THE LAKE FRIDAY AFTERNOON. LOOK FOR THE WINABAGO TRAILERABLER WITH THE SATELLITE DISH AND DROP BY FOR A BEVERAGE

Mr big ones some of us really appreciate the fishing reports, and I think that theese guys have more self respect, amd dignity to lie about the fishing. Also in my expierence from url they didn't exactly beat em up. Without word of mouth alot of you probably wouldn't even know where url is or where to fish.

Major I thought this was a chat site about fishing not alcohol counseling.

I was up last Saturday with a couple of friends. First since we moved from town. Gotta tell ya, we really miss Waskish. It's one of the best small towns Minnesota. It's not everyplace that Santa visits every kid by name at an annual potluck. I expect some of you can't imagine.

Caught some really nice crappies. Many more walleye, That's great to see. I've fished those waters since 1993, pretty dilligently too. It's never been bad. Just sometimes something different.

PS - you can hear sheepshead through the bottom of a boat!

Craig

i'll be up this weekend as well. All day Fri,Sat, and Sun. Hope to see see you guys there. I'll be in for cocktails at WW each night!

------------------
Love them 'Pout!

yes, camp jigglestick will be in play! friday afternoon. hey putz bring your auger, i'm not sure how much longer mine will hold out! by the way, i am currently searching for used ( cheap ) auger parts....anybody...altho cash donations toward the jigglesticks auger repair fund will be accepted smile.gif.
i can hardly wait til friday!!!
dont forget to shake!!!

------------------
keep a firm grip on your jigglestick!......jigglestick

Hello everyone,I fish because I can, anytime anywhere.If I catch fish great, but spending time on the lake frozen or not is the most important.I'm coming to Red this weekend I hope to get a few crappies but as long as I'm on the lake and catch one more fish than blckfrg I'm happy as a crow on a gutpile

Aparently you guys misunderstood what I was saying. I hunt and fish more than a lot of people out there. I'm still young and don't have a wife and kids yet or what I would call a career, so I can spend almost everyday in the outdoors (literally almost everyday) I consider myself very lucky. There is nothing I would rather be doing than spend my time in the outdoors with my freinds and family, regardless whether I was shooting/catching anything. All I was saying is that I thought it was funny that no one would just come out and say that the fishing hasn't been as good as years past, and maybe we are starting to see a decline in the quality of fishing on URL. Hopefully not, but we will just have to see what happens in the months and years to come. Anyways, I didn't mean to offend anybody or piss anybody off in any way. I was just trying to start up a conversation, thats all. Actually I'm glad to see so many people respond to my post. I guess there are a lot of folks out there that truely love the great outdoors as much as I do, and love just being out there regardless of their success.

Kelly-P, you've got me all wrong, like I said I hunt/fish just about everyday, I work hard whether I'm scouting for the upcoming deer season, or out on the lake searching for those schools of crappies. I'm the last guy you'll see following the crowd. And it kinda pisses me off when you take shots at me by basically saying I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to hunting and fishing. I probably know a lot of things you don't.

...and another thing. Enough already about the hospitality up there. The only reason those guys are nice to you is because you and I are paying their bills every month. To them we are just a bunch of dumb 612'ers. It's the same thing in any small town anywere in the country. They can tell just by lookin' at your clean clothes and brand new truck that you ain't from around there. But as long as you've got a fat wallet, they'll be nice to ya. Not that I blame em' thats just the way it is. I've spent enough time in northern Minnesota to realize what the locals up there really think about us 612'ers! It's the same when you go out to the Dakota's or even Wisconsin. Even though I live in the metro area, I still know my stuff when it comes to the outdoors, I've been doing it day in day out my whole life.

I think that before one questions the integrity of someone's post about the fishing on URL, they they should at least know the poster. There are a number of people who post with good and accurate information. If for some reason you don't catch fish or have a good time, its not thier fault. I'm amazed that Major needs to refer to alcohol in all his posts. i.e. captain and beer. Maybe its because he's never had anyone invite him for a sip or two, however looking at his posts, that's understandable. Major, maybe there is an alternative for you, like taking a nice long drag on your exhaust pipe.

------------------
PLAY THE HAND YOUR DEALT

The fishing is not as good as in years past. The fishing is better than in years past. The fishing is equal to years past. It is inappropriate to measure this year's fishing compared to years past.

Take your pick. They're all right, depending on the era to which you are comparing this year's fishing.

Message, Spock?

Yes, captain Kirk.

Fish when you have the time, and concern yourself less with whether fishing is "harder" or "easier" than in previous seasons, but concern yourself with your growth as a fisherman.

As for people in rural areas looking down on 612-ers who come spend money in their Outstate communities, I've lived and worked in 612-land. And I've lived and worked in the Dakotas, and other places in Minnesota and Wisconsin, and if you think other people's looking down on 612-ers is something worth remarking on, I say grow up. No matter where you are, SOME folks who live there look down on folks who visit there and spend money in those smal communities. Others realize that you can't squash someone into a category based on where they live, but take people as they find people.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-15-2003).]

Craig_S,
I miss seeing that speck on the horizon and wondering if it is you trying a new spot. It looks like it will be a great weekend with many friends working together looking for fish. Can you make it home and help us look????
Dancing Bear,
What can I say,,, you've become a Waskish legend in 3 short months. grin.gif
Major,
The URL Forum is about the friendships that are built while fishing. We have friends, live with it!!
IOCTBO,
You came onto this forum of friends and slammed one of us and this area. I do not feel that I have you wrong. I feel that you have a bad attitude and that happens in every area code not just 612. All you are doing is embarrasing the good people in 612. Are you saying that those of us that live in Northern MN, Wisconsin and the Dakota's don't have clean cloths??????? As far as trucks take a look at URL, the $40,000 trucks are being led by $2,000 trucks and I don't see many people complaining. If we had any commen sense we might have $40,000 trucks too but for better or worse we are first in line. smile.gif
You might know the outdoors but you do not know people. If you did you might be part of this great group of friends on URL this weekend.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

KellyP, where do you get off bragging that big red piece of sh** truck is worth $2,000? grin.gif

P.S. -- Dancing Bear has one of the best handles in history.